Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember reading something here about a scam where someone overseas was buying cars with bad checks, etc.

Anyone remember the details?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Yes, they basically offer to give you a check for an excess amount, due to unknown shipping amounts or excess funds available, and ask you refund the excess. That is the scam; their check will eventually bounce and your refunded excess will be what they scam from you (assuming they never pick up the car).

I've had 4 so far, and I now reply that I want cash only and, amazingly, the price has risen to match the excess amount they have offered. I never hear from them again.

The names are pretty amateurish attempts at American names; the last was from "Mr. Oscar Bill".

Have fun with these clowns!

Mark B.

·
Administrator Emeritus
1,253 Posts
Toronto police have arrested a suspect also wanted by York Regional Police in connection with an Internet scam that asked victims to wire large sums of money to an account in Nigeria.

Using the name Ted Baker, a man would contact people selling items on-line or in newspapers and pretend to be an interested buyer in Nigeria, police said.

He would mail the seller a cheque for a much larger amount than the item cost, then ask to be reimbursed for the remainder.

Some victims had no idea the cheques were stolen and forged until after they had wired money to the suspect.

Police have confirmed that several victims sent money to the suspect because they believed his forged cheque had cleared. Cheques were sent tovarious locations in Canada and the United States, police said.

Tony Igbinogun, 26, is facing several charges, including 16 counts of having stolen property over $5,000 in value, as well as fraud and uttering forged documents.

He remains in police custody and will appear in court tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Check out Off Topic / Humour section.
I posted one of the infamous checks scan with the story. It's not over yet they are still trying to convince me to sell them my car and I'm playing along. I hope one of them will eventually agree to meet me face to face, then I will really have fun }> }> }> }> .

Cheers

M.Samli

·
don't cut
4,075 Posts
>Check out Off Topic / Humour section.
>I posted one of the infamous checks scan with the story.
>It's not over yet they are still trying to convince me to
>sell them my car and I'm playing along. I hope one of them
>will eventually agree to meet me face to face, then I will
>really have fun }> }> }> }> .
>
>Cheers
>
>M.Samli
Be careful unless you are very large and carry a gun and a badge. A gun may be enought though. :) Or being very large. :)

But be careful as these people are dealing in sums that are felonies, not misdemeanors.

Richard

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Richard,

Thanks for your concern. You are absolutely right, you never know what one may face when he confronts these criminals.
On the other hand I'm in AZ and over here we are always careful because this is an open carry (guns that is) state. I am in contact with the local authorities and if something will be done it will be done only with their involvement.

Cheers

M.Samli

1 - 6 of 6 Posts