Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
June 4 Dryad Quest Rally.

Primitive Racing decided to run hard and run fast on the opening stages of the Dryad Quest Rally in Shelton,WA. The team knew they would need to take every advantage to get and/or stay ahead of tough competition like Carl Jardevall (EVO), Hintz's(WRX), Cavett (Impreza), Havas (EVO), and Wright (Paul's old Impreza), Thomas
(WRX), Patterson (EVO).

"The car was performing well with the new turbo and a little less boost, since we broke it at Rim," said driver Eklund, "and the tuning from PDX Tuning was giving us good solid power, despite the 34mm restrictor which is required."
But coming into the spectator area near the finish, Eklund misjudged a corner and began to turn down the wrong road. Recognizing his mistake, he tried to tighten the turn to get back onto the main road and slid wide, wedging the Primitive Racing Sti in a small ditch just off the road. Although damage was kept to a dent in the driver's door and a crumpled fender rubbing the tire, the
team was soundly stuck.

Co-Driver Jeff Price leapt from the car and tried to help push the car back, motioning for spectators to come help (but marshalls did their job holding them back), but the car would only move about a foot and get high centered on the berm. Jeff moved to the side of the car to push again and in one explosive drop of the clutch the 4 wheels began to claw their way back out of the ditch. This left Price without anything to push against, and on the steep hillside he slipped and fell against the straining car, his feet
coming ever so close to the spininng front tire. Spectators gasped, but he popped up moments later and ran to get into the rally car. Competitors Hintz and Hintz flew by at this moment, showering the car with rocks and dust, declaring that the team had lost over a minute getting un stuck. They followed the thick dust the last 1/2 mile to the stage end, 1.5 minutes behind their compatriots...

After the harrowing start, the Primitive Team began clawing back time, eventually ovetaking the Hintz's and moving up to the 5th Overall position for the day. The roads were quite slippy, with round river stone base instead of the usual crushed gravel. So finishing fifth overall was a good outcome, but the team knew they could do better. Carl Jardevall again proved that he is a top
driver in the USA and smoked the field be almost 3 minutes. Andrew Havas took his rented EVO to a solid second place with Gary Cavett and Carey Wright finishing 3rd and 4th in their GC bodied Impreza's.

Sunday, June 5th, Shitepoke Rally (Western States Rally Championship event):

The rally would be simple. A beautiful 8.5 mile stage run twice in quick succession with a service in between followed by the almost famous "Nahwatzel Complex" stage run twice as well. A short day? Not really, the Nahwatzel stage is 24 miles long and contains every element of a rally stage, from flat and open to tight and twisty including a little uphill and a little downhill. Being
run twice, this stage alone is longer than some other entire rallies.

After the first two stages, Primitive looked to be in second place overall, behind the untouchable Jardevall, and just ahead of Havas and Wright, with Hintz and Cavett only seconds back. Patterson had retired early with diff problems on the first day and Thomas went out with a broken control arm on stage 2...

On the first pass through the long stage, Primitive made no mistakes and felt good about their 25.44 run (just shy of a 60mph average). But seeing Wright's 25.41 and then Hintz's 25.25 took the wind out their sails. Wright was now ahead by one second and Hintz's were now ahead by 15 seconds! The battle was on. One last 24 mile stage. Eklund and Price tightened the belts and tried
to rip an unbeatable time, dropping their score to a 25.03 (full 40 second drop in stage time) but Hintz's pulled a terrific 24.59 beating them by 4 more seconds!!! All bow to the mighty Hintz brothers who took second behind Jardevall! Wright smoked in with a 25.05, but that dropped them to one second BEHIND Primitive in the overall standings (to fourth). Havas suffered differential
problems similar to Patterson and slowed on the final stages dropping to 5th. So Primitive managed a decent 3rd overall and some important Western States Championship points.

What about some others? Mike Goodwin in his PGT Mazda 323GTX, slid wide and smacked a tree with the rear on days one, shearing of the bumper and shattering the hatch. He continued only to roll heavily and wedge between some stumps a few stages later. Car busted, everyone OK. Bad day for Goodwin. Fling Pu's Wellemeyer and Wellemeyer center punched a tree, resculpting the bumper, hood and radiator on their RX7 and were out. After winning Group 5 on Day 1, Foster and Rounds lost the water pump on their aging RX3 and went out on Day 2. April Smith kept her mighty GEO Metro running all weekend with 4 squirrels on the bumper pumping out a full 40hp. Big smiles. Villy "big talk before the rally" Husko rolled his Toyota and was out (see pic). Chip Miller hit the Honda Civic hard, but got back into the rally on Day 2. Cody Crane lost the front bumper on his CRX, but finished well. Gabe von Ahfeld went off hard in his Legacy on Day 2 hurting the car and reportly his co-driver's elbow (swollen). Matt Tabor lost a rear trailing arm and Bruce Tabor perforated the motor with several rods on his Nissan Sentra. Barrett Dash tried to blow up his motor running for miles with no coolant and the motor finally did wheeze to a stop. Pat Harris carried the Fling Pu flag until the final stage, but courage overcame traction and she slid wide in her Datsun 510 and creased the entire right side on a stump breaking the rear suspension.

Pictures of most of these ROLLS and CRASHES are now on-line under the PICTURES and VIDEOS Forum for ProrallyPix, GoFastPhoto, and PDXSports (Culp/Scurti/Flynn)

Full results soon at:
www.nwr-scca.org/rally/dryad/index.html or in PACIFIC NW Forum

·
Registered
51 Posts
Paul and the Rest of the Racers,

Thankyou all for the Wonderful action at the various Spectator locations over the weekend. We all enjoyed eating the dust. Watching Rocks fly, and some fantastic driving.

Dave Folker
Spectator Safety Coordinatoor

·
Registered
93 Posts
Thanks also to Ray and Donna Hocker and John Shirley for spending the weekend with us. They had a great time meeting eveyone from the Northwest :)

Steve Mcquaid
Steward and 000 car

·
Registered
672 Posts
Steve,

Our pleasure. Dryad/Shitepoke is an excellent event that is very well organized and executed by John Forespring and the entire NW team of organizers. NASA Rally Sport is proud to be working with you all.

Ray and Donna Hocker

·
Registered
223 Posts
That was a hoot! I like that I have power steering now. I like that 23 mile stage. It totally didn't feel that long. Thanks for everyone that helped put the event on and thanks for letting us just run on Sunday. Hope to see everyone at Wild West!

Lisa

·
Registered
868 Posts
Paul & Jeff, sorry about the shower of gravel & dust when we went past on Saturday. In retrospect, I wish I would have backed off a little especially since any seconds we gained there were pretty much useless due to the subsequent turbo failure. You have to admit that it would have been a tough corner to do without some throttle application though!

After we got the new used turbo installed, I tried to go fast but couldn't match your times on the final stages on Saturday (even after we went to 2 minute dust windows). I really think by that point in the event this Northwest crowd was driving faster than it did at Oregon Trail.

Then you went out and beat us on the first two stages on Sunday. If we hadn't gone for it on the Nawatzel stages we would sort of gone home from the weekend empty handed. Anyway thanks for the great competition.
Dave

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
2wd Dryad Quest/Shitepoke Rally Report

A very nice rally with fantastic roads.

We Derek Bottles/ Jason Grahn won all the stages in 2wd to win 2wd by ~6:30. At one time manged to be 2nd Overall behind Jardivall in the Evo but ran out of good tires and lost a lot of time to the hard charging AWD cars, finished 6th Overall on Sat.

Sunday again won all the stages in 2wd except the last one, where we broke a hub and got to watch the wheel, brake disk and caliper leave the car at about 60 MPH... Those things are hard to find in the woods. We were leading 2wd by about 4 mins at that time. DNF

On average the top AWD cars apear to be about 1 to 2 seconds a mile faster than me. I might be able to fix that problem - I think I can drive faster - I am still learning a lot at each event.

I can not belive the dedication of the workers out there, they take photos, stay with us in the woods till service crews arive and give us sodas to help pass the time. I know I am not a people person and forget names and faces but a hartfelt THANKS.

Derek

·
Registered
901 Posts
RE: 2wd Dryad Quest/Shitepoke Rally Report

Tabor Ladies had one goal for the Dryad weekend: to have as much fun as possible.

Okay, we had two goals: to have as much fun as possible, and to be competitive.

And we accomplished both! It's so nice when you can have a total blast and be competitive at the same time. :)

I flubbed the last spectator corner one the first stage of the weekend (went a little wide into the ditch, but got it back out), and besides puttering around the icky acutes, we managed to set some respectable times.

We saw a deer on the second to the last stage on Saturday; we got airborne over a couple of the deeper potholes; we giggled and whooped it up; I tried to keep my right foot planted. There was a lot of fun happening in my car! I especially loved the bits where the trees and scotch broom were right on the edges of the road, whizzing by the windows... those pieces of road really flowed along, and I really got into a good vibe there!

I also wanted to beat my Dad, but not because he blew up his engine! :(

Paul: one correction to your press release from this rally geek: Your first time through Nawatzel resulted in an average speed of around 55.8 mph, not 60. :) Which makes me feel pretty good with my 47mph average! :) Your second time got you a 57.3, which is pretty darn good! Carl's second time through got him a 59.05 average, so you got pretty darn close! :)

Thanks so much to all the workers who came out and stood in the weird weather for us, you guys, as always, RAWK!!!

·
400 flat to crest
5,777 Posts

>A very nice rally with fantastic roads.
>
>I can not belive the dedication of the workers out there, they
>take photos, stay with us in the woods till service crews
>arive and give us sodas to help pass the time. I know I am not
>a people person and forget names and faces but a hartfelt
>THANKS.
>
>Derek
Derek,
the workers I talked to said that you gave them not just a good show, but that important thing we need to get more cars out there:
motivation and HOPE.
They guys where Kevin and I were were young but they were really smiling and giggling when YOU came by and were saying they wanted to start with a Golf "cause they CAN go!"

Looked good.

So did a certain Comrade Tabornovna in a Sentra.

Gotta get more 2wd cars out there tho.

John Vanlandingham
Seattle, WA. 98168

janvanvurpa (at) f4 (dot) ca

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat!
Vive Le Groupe F!

·
straight at T
647 Posts

I want everyone to take note of this and mark it down in their calendars: A short, succinct, and totally positive post by John Vanlandingham! :p

>Derek,
>the workers I talked to said that you gave them not just a
>good show, but that important thing we need to get more cars
>out there:
>motivation and HOPE.
>They guys where Kevin and I were were young but they were
>really smiling and giggling when YOU came by and were saying
>they wanted to start with a Golf "cause they CAN go!"
>
>Looked good.
>
>So did a certain Comrade Tabornovna in a Sentra.
>
>Gotta get more 2wd cars out there tho.
>
>
>
>
>
>John Vanlandingham
>Seattle, WA. 98168
>
>janvanvurpa (at) f4 (dot) ca
>
>Vive le Prole-le-ralliat!
>Vive Le Groupe F!
>
>

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.