Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

Trying to figure out travel plans etc. for OTR, so would like to know:
- Notes style i.e. Jemba Stage / pace / organizer-supplied?
- recce available?
- if so, 2-pass recce or 1-pass notes familiarization pass?
- recce schedule?

Thanks.

·
Tree? what tree?
632 Posts
I'm pretty sure there's Jemba, and no recce for this 'un.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Here's some contact info:

matt (at) taborrallyteam (dot) com is Chairman Matt's email address (one), the official one is I think:

chairman (at) oregontrailrally.com or something like that.

Since his office is right next to mine, I'll poke my head over there and ask, and will try to get back here.

Notes are Jemba notes. I believe there will be an NFP on Wednesday, I'll post more info as I get it.

Edit to add: the NFP thing is all rumor and innuendo right now, the organizers are trying to set something up as we speak. So wait for the official word as always, people!

:)

Kristen

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Notes are Jemba notes. I believe there will be an NFP on Wednesday, I'll post more info as I get it.

Edit to add: the NFP thing is all rumor and innuendo right now, the organizers are trying to set something up as we speak. So wait for the official word as always, people!

:)

Kristen
Hi Kristen,

Thanks for the response.

If NFP is offered, could it not be offered on Thursday, rather than Wednesday? According to the schedule, the only thing currently planned on Thursday is the 'Rally Fan Appreciation Show'. Could the rally fan appreciation show, if it's actually necessary or worthwhile, not be moved to Thurs eve or Fri lunch instead, to allow NFP on Thurs?

IMO, 3.5 days time off (travel Tues p.m., NFP Wed, stand around Thurs, stand around most of Fri) is too onerous for a single rally. Even with a shortened 6 rally championship, 6 * 3.5 = 21 days, which is a week more vacation than most rallyists get each year, and that is assuming competitors are willing to spend all of their year's vacation rallying, and do not have any family or other vacation commitments.

·
Registered
57 Posts
We are working on the schedule for recce. We have to offer it on Wednesday for the people who are invited to come to Pioneer Courthouse Square (PChS) & the press stage (Thursday afternoon @ PIR), but are considering having it on both Wednesday (for invitees to PChS only) and Thursday (for all others who buy notes). We are also looking into how long it is expected to take, and, provided it can be done in the right time frame, might do it on Friday morning/afternoon with registration on Thursday evening. Any opinions (about one of these choices)?

We are trying to firm all this up this week to get supps finalized. Thanks for your patience... we had some permitting issues that needed to be worked through before we could move forward.

Matt

--
Matt Tabor, Chairman | The 2010 Oregon Trail Rally - May 14-16
2010 Oregon Trail Rally | Round 4 of the Rally America Championship
** 2006 & 2009 Rally of the Year - Rally America National Series **

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We are working on the schedule for recce. We have to offer it on Wednesday for the people who are invited to come to Pioneer Courthouse Square (PChS) & the press stage (Thursday afternoon @ PIR), but are considering having it on both Wednesday (for invitees to PChS only) and Thursday (for all others who buy notes). We are also looking into how long it is expected to take, and, provided it can be done in the right time frame, might do it on Friday morning/afternoon with registration on Thursday evening. Any opinions (about one of these choices)?

Matt
Hi Matt,

I really like your suggestion of registration on Thursday evening, with NFP on Friday. Even if competitors had to wake up at 5 a.m. on Fri to get to the first stage for recce by sunrise, in order to complete NFP before the PIR stages on Fri eve, I'm sure most competitors would much prefer that, since it would enable competitors to fly in on Thursday afternoon vs. Tuesday afternoon. I love rally, but I would prefer not to lose 2 days work or vacation waiting around for all of Thurs and most of Fri. While I understand the desire for a fan appreciation show and press stages, I personally don't think it should be at the expense of all the other competitors waiting around for 2 days.

Thanks for being willing to try and figure out a workable schedule that makes sense and is reasonable for all of us.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Friday NFP is not a good idea.

Think about it: trying to get out to the stages in the Gorge (minimum hour and half not including transiting up to the stage starts, one way, oh, don't forget rush hour traffic in the morning just getting out of town), do recce (at 25mph on the stages, how many stage miles are there?), and get back to PIR through Friday afternoon Portland traffic (best tack on at least an hour to your travel time back from The Dalles...)? Don't count on getting to PIR in time to get your car through tech, or registration, and you may actually miss the start, depending on how bad traffic is. Remember the hordes of spectators? There's no special "competitors only" lane to get in to PIR. You'll be sitting in the same long line just to get to PIR even if the organizers bring you in the back gate and not through the main entrance.

Plus, with the locals and smaller teams, what if you don't have someone on Friday to take your car through tech for you while you're out doing recce?

Again, Plus, the workers who can make it to work the rally on Friday are going to all be at PIR setting up, or working at real paying jobs (remember, locals) before taking half a day off to work the Friday stages.

Just some thoughts from a poor local competitor.... :D

·
Mä meen vittu sinne!
6,058 Posts
I can tell you from experience that you can not do a NFP on Friday.
Last year we were out there super early on Friday. We did 100% of one stage (Gilihoey) forward then backward and ~50% of another (Fir Mtn) in both directions. We were going a bit slow as we were stopping occasionally and getting out to evaluate potential camera positions. We ran out of time to even look at any additional stages and still make it to PIR. We were a little late. The stages this year as I understand are a bit further from PIR.
There was no additional rally traffic to contend with either. Speaking of which, we never did investigate who the rally related person we kept seeing on the stages that day was. Or was that Ojibwe. Doesn't matter now I suppose.

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Kristen,

Thanks again for the response.

Obviously the organizers are the ones most familiar with the stages, local conditions and other commitments, so are best placed to determine what is logistically possible and practical.

So, then how about doing recce on Thursday, and moving the fan appreciation show and press rides to Friday? (P.S. Pro competitor shouldn't be over driving on the press rides, so there shouldn't be any damage to fix, plus they have pro service crew and support, but if necessary the organizers could switch the order to have press rides late morning on Fri, and the fan appreciation show early Fri afternoon to accommodate any unforeseen incidents. Plus, if you have the fan appreciation show early Friday afternoon, it's more likely that fans will stay to watch the Fri PIR stages, and vice versa).

I know that you and the organizers know, but it's worth pointing out that the rest of us grassroots competitors have real jobs and real time constraints too, and 3.5 days is hard to justify taking off for every single rally, and is even harder to justify when 1.5 of those days (Thursday and the majority of Friday) will be spent standing around doing nothing.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Regardless of what happens with the NFP, it would be helpful to know when/where registration and tech will be. I'm trying to plan when I head down (and will we need a hotel Thursday night).

·
Registered
57 Posts
Recce schedule

Hi all,

I just posted this elsewhere, as well, but it is very relevant to this, so here it is again...

Due to the unique nature of our event, and the portion that takes place at
Portland International Raceway on Fridy, May 14 (in front of nearly 3000
spectators last year, I might add..), here is what we are proposing to use
as a recce schedule:

Wednesday, May 12:
- Early morning recce registration for competitors who are invited to
participate in the Pioneer Courthouse Square Fan Appreciation Day & the
Press Stage on Thursday, May 16.
- Recce stages open 8 AM until sundown.

Thursday, May 13:
- Early morning recce registration for all competitors not invited to the
PChS event & Press Stage. (We are also considering a registration period
on Wednesday evening.)
- Recce stages open 8 AM until sundown.

We have seen the requests for Friday recce, but cannot accommodate this
option due to limited staff, and what would be an impossibly tight schedule
for competitors to make it to PIR from the stages.

Recce format will be open, similar to what was used at Olympus. Organizers will
recommend one or more routes and competitors will have enough time to review
each stage at least once.

We are also working to update the website (we changed format today and have been constantly throwing information up as fast as we can..), and get a set of supps posted by Friday, which should have a nearly final schedule in it at least.

Thanks for you patience!

Matt

--
Matt Tabor, Chairman | The 2010 Oregon Trail Rally - May 14-16
2010 Oregon Trail Rally | Round 4 of the Rally America Championship
** 2006 & 2009 Rally of the Year - Rally America National Series **

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi Matt,

I'd just like to say thank you to you and the other volunteers for listening, and being willing to accommodate those competitors, who are not invited to the PChS event & Press Stage, doing recce on Thurs, instead of Wed. It saves all the grassroots competitors from having to take an extra day off work / away from home, which I am sure is much appreciated!!

Thanks!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts