Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the cool things at Oregon Trail was meeting (and comparing stage times with) some competitors that we hadn't had a chance to meet before. Some friendly teams that ended-up being near us after the re-seed were:
Randy Zimmer and Dave Shindle
Al Kaumeheiwa and Craig Sobczak (G5 competitors)
Ron Nelson and James Burtis
Scott Fuller and Jeff Call
Surprisingly, I don't think I'd spoken with Scott Fuller before, so that was long overdue since he's from the area! Fuller/Call won a well deserved top 2WD spot in the ProRally (Woodner cup points) driving the best rally-VW in America. Congrats!
Dave Hintz

·
400 flat to crest
5,777 Posts
>One of the cool things at Oregon Trail was meeting (and
>comparing stage times with) some competitors that we hadn't
>had a chance to meet before. Some friendly teams that
>
Hey Dave, that is one of the major ideas of the whole
CCCP thing, putting the Social Club into what we're doing, and having a bit of a chance to yak and shoot the sheeet, with out having to run back and belt in, or think about recovering the car for some folks.

We had a couple of guys from Spokane who are building a car, and a pile of guys from up in Bellingham, Portland OR, and of course Sleezattle, and Tacoma. BC boys had a rallysprint in Merritt but were there in spirit.
See NW forum for details.

In the end the details of the cometition fades, the memories of friendship remain.

John Vanlandingham

·
Straight At "T"
297 Posts
Heh. I'll try to be friendlier at Rim. Scott and I are still pretty new at this, and playing up there with you guys (I'm used to being car 76 out of 80, ya know?) has a bit of a stress factor all its own so we sometimes go into spaz mode and sit around worrying about all sorts of things instead of B.S.ing appropriately. So feel free to wander over and slap either one of us if we never leave the car.

-Doug
#88 Bright Yellow WRX

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Doug, You must have been re-seeded just in front of Zimmer. There are so many WRX's, I have trouble keeping track! I'm often preoccupied with trying to muddle through various little challenges during an event too. Congrats on a great upper-half finish. See you next time!
I'm also looking forward to another chance to compare times with Jay Streets at Rim - hopefully a group of us will have times clustered closely together. Too bad Jay's OT event ended so quickly with mechanical trouble.
I'm going to try to get John Lane (in another Volvo out early due to mechanical woes at OT) to go to Ojibwe this year. I think the fire breathing monster would do really well on those wide sandy roads.

Vanlandingham, thanks for the invite. Between family, relatives, house, yard, and a busy schedule at work, I have to admit the main time I meet rally people is during the events. I hope to make it to one of those things sometime - I bet it was a good time.
Dave
Car # 207

·
Registered
397 Posts
Dave---We shall have to work at making it to Ojibwe this year. I hear that Ojibwe is a high speed kind of rally, which suits me well. I just love that 100mph+ stuff. If I can just stop breaking the 'unbreakable' stuff. Have a day, JohnLane

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
John,
There's definitely a lot of 70 to 90 MPH stuff in the land of bird sized mosquitos, but not that much 100+ MPH stuff (at least when I was behind the wheel). You'd like the roads; the sand demands power, and it is pretty forgiving when you come into a corner too hot. I'd be happy to be your bridesmaid there!
Dave
Car # 207

1 - 7 of 7 Posts