Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I knew about 63 and 64 Falcons at the Monte, but didn't know of any Ford factory involvement after that (although I believe private 'Stangs ran). This is later, though (69) and not in an era I thought any US manufacturers were into TSD (Road Rally). Plymouth had the 'Cudas in ie the Shell 4000, but that wasn't really TSD, so again: what were the Mustangs doing?

ACP
Flirting with the laws of physics.

·
3/14=my 42nd rally anniversary
3,979 Posts
>Original team Ford Road Rally car?
>
>http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1853048533
>
>ACP
>www.musketeerracing.com
>Flirting with the laws of physics.

I'm betting it's not the one, but that thing sure resembles the big Hairy Canary Mustang that remains one of my most vivid memories from Mad Mike ProRally #1, the '77 Sunriser 400 in Ohio. If memory serves, they got out of the final finish control but something went awry on the transit north to Chillicothe and were scored a DNF. I'll never forget the rumble of that V8 wafting through the misty, pre-dawn morning air - or how hard I fought nodding off on that long transit to HQ listening to those bias ply Coopers drone on the tarmac in concert with my codriver's snoring.

Halley ...
http://www.realautosport.com

http://www.realautosport.com/pics/Vega/sunr77-2.jpg

·
1973 WRC POR
2,421 Posts
>
>Well, I knew about 63 and 64 Falcons at the Monte, but
>didn't know of any Ford factory involvement after that
>(although I believe private 'Stangs ran). This is later,
>though (69) and not in an era I thought any US manufacturers
>were into TSD (Road Rally). Plymouth had the 'Cudas in ie
>the Shell 4000, but that wasn't really TSD, so again: what
>were the Mustangs doing?

Andrew:

This Mustang is likely from TSD rallying in the USA. Certainly not the real rally Mustangs that were prepared by Lloyd Howell and ran as factory cars in the Shell 4000.

And BTW, the Shell 4000 was certainly not TSD, although it could not be called a true stage rally as we think of it today. More like a gigantic endurance test (similar to the Safari of that era) with special stages thrown in at various locations across Canada.

Doug Woods

·
Registered
12 Posts
awesome_rogergibson

Ford was definately involved in TSD in this era. The factory team of Nathan "Available" Jones/Russ Brown car usually ran #7 and was based in Houston is the car apparently shown on ebay. Probably won the Natl TSD Championship in 70 or so. There were 3 and will be able to recall the other drivers names. Can place what the drivers looked like, but their names escape me, presently. One ran out of New Jersey, drivers name was Ed ____. Also Chrysler had factory teams in the 60's in addition to the Scott Harvey Dodge/Plymouth factory cars.

I ran on the pvt support Ford team in 70 and Ford gave alot of help in the way on contengcy $.

My last year to TSD was 70. Ran 60 Natl and Div/Club PRO Rallies from 82 to 92. Getting the 280Z ready for Paris in Dec.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Thank You, Roger.

This is one of the "Factory Ford Rally Team" Mustangs. Like I said before--TSD Rallying!

Also, if you ever have a chance to see the older movie "A Man and a Woman", there is a Monte Carlo Rally segment in it where the male lead is competing in a 65 or 66 Mustang.

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Actually you bring up a point that's been in the back of my head for a long time: despite the urgins of Jean Lelouch (director) and Jean-Louis Trintagnant (male lead) and indeed Anouk Aimee (female lead) I didn't think that Ford was officially involved in the Monte after the Falcons - I read that they used the new Mustang on local rallies in Germany but the 'Stang itself was never an (openly) supported vehicle. Anyone have A-Z of Works Rally Cars or Rally Cars handy?

ACP.

·
don't cut
4,075 Posts
>awesome_rogergibson
>
>My last year to TSD was 70. Ran 60 Natl and Div/Club PRO
>Rallies from 82 to 92. Getting the 280Z ready for Paris in
>Dec.

Roge,
Dam computer lost your address. Is the Z's cage updated to present rules with gussets?
Richard

·
3/14=my 42nd rally anniversary
3,979 Posts
>>awesome_rogergibson
>>
>>My last year to TSD was 70. Ran 60 Natl and Div/Club PRO
>>Rallies from 82 to 92. Getting the 280Z ready for Paris in
>>Dec.
>
>Roge,
>Dam computer lost your address. Is the Z's cage updated to
>present rules with gussets?
>Richard

And will it be done in time to shake it down at the Hallett RallyeSprints? If not, ya wanna rent a drive in the SORT? It's RWD tail-happy just like the Z!

MM ...

Halley ...
http://www.realautosport.com

·
straight at T
2,472 Posts
FWIW, various models of Mustang were homologated into rally-legal classes (note that these classes also apply to track racing, and that was probably why they were homologated):

1966 Gr1/Gr2 (maybe for Trans-Am?)
1967 Gr1/Gr2 (maybe for Trans-Am?)
1968 Gr1/Gr2 (maybe for Trans-Am?)
1969 Gr1/Gr2 (maybe for Trans-Am?)
1970 Gr2 (maybe for Trans-Am?)
1972 Gr1
1983 GpA (probably for touring car racing)
1985 GpA (probably for touring car racing)

Adrian

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Right. That confirms what I thought. Essentially in 1964 Bo Ljungfelt(sp?) won EVERY STAGE on the Monte with the bohemoth Falcon (Europeans thought it was especially amusing that it was considered a "midsize" car in America, especially as the route for one leg of the Monte had to be changed when Ljungfelt found on the recce that there was a bridge too narrow for the Falcon) but lost overall because of the penalty factors that favoured the small cars ie. Mini. Ford packed up, went home, and Ford NA didn't come back at all, while Ford UK a year or two later started with the Cortina, first with only the IRS homologated and eventually getting homologation for the earlier beam axle which was better suited to rally than the track-racing-biased IRS. Actually it must have been the next year beacuse it was '65 in which Roger Clark's Cortina was eliminated along with the Minis for non-dipping iode spotlamps, "allowing" the Citroen ID19 to win. Or wait, was that '66?

Anyway, to bring this all full circle, one of the factory Citroen drivers would have been Trintagnant Sr., the father of the actor in A Man and a Woman...

ACP

·
Registered
286 Posts
Paging Mr Bodnar, Mr Michael Bodnar...your past is calling...

>>Original team Ford Road Rally car?
>>
>>http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1853048533
>>
>>ACP
>>www.musketeerracing.com
>>Flirting with the laws of physics.
>
>I'm betting it's not the one, but that thing sure resembles
>the big Hairy Canary Mustang that remains one of my most
>vivid memories from Mad Mike ProRally #1, the '77 Sunriser
>400 in Ohio. If memory serves, they got out of the final
>finish control but something went awry on the transit north
>to Chillicothe and were scored a DNF. I'll never forget the
>rumble of that V8 wafting through the misty, pre-dawn
>morning air ...
>Halley ...
>http://www.realautosport.com
>
>http://www.realautosport.com/pics/Vega/sunr77-2.jpg

...and neither will I forget it...yup, the other Semi-Official Specialstage OTHG was there too...that car is long gone, according to an unrememberered someone on its crew I spoke to awhile back...Mike, do a little digging in those photos I sent you...there's a shot of the Original Hairy Canary in there, from the post-event display inside the under-construction Marquette Mall after the '74 POR...that were a basty little nastard of an automobubble...a crowd favorite, to be sure...a sizable percentage of the field in those days was Datsun 510's, buzzing around like worker bees in search of a queen...then there was the Canary Bird, sounding like it was in search of the third turn at Daytona...neat...

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the backhand compliment! The truth is I love rally of all eras, and although I love lurid drifts in my Evo (really love them, don't get me wrong!), I also love the area of pressing on very briskly for days on end keeping to a tight schedule when neither the condition of the roads nor the level of automotive engineering and reliability was certain. Things like radial tires, solid-state ignitions, better alloys and plastics, and better asphalt and road-building equipment essentially ended the classic era of rallying. Thankfully with an old Volvo and a bunch of barmy people its still almost possible to recreate this on the tertiary roads of France in January (or, this December, on the moor roads of the UK on LeJog...)

So combine that fascination with 12 years of "higher learnin" and I have a ferocious appetite for rally facts. Have recently read "Safari" and "A Boot Full of Right Arms" and if anyone has spare copies of "Mexico or Bust" or "Marathon" please let me know...

ACP.

·
straight at T
2,472 Posts
>So combine that fascination with 12 years of "higher
>learnin" and I have a ferocious appetite for rally facts.
>Have recently read "Safari" and "A Boot Full of Right Arms"
>and if anyone has spare copies of "Mexico or Bust" or
>"Marathon" please let me know...

You also need to find "The Long Drive" (1977 London-Sydney) and "Bright Eyes of Danger" (1968 London-Sydney) if you haven't already read them.

Adrian

1 - 17 of 17 Posts