Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is an idea we have been kicking around for a long time:
Organization of US Rally Marshals, similar to British Rally Marshals.

The objective will be to provide for the purposes of local and
international rallies in the Northeast:

- Training in safety requirements and procedures for spectators
and competitors
- Training in emergency procedures
- Training in event operations, including FIA requirements
- Training in timing and scoring, including modern timing and
scoring hardware and software
- Training in event communications, including radios
- Recognition, perks and uniforms

If you are interested in receiving training or if you are
experienced and can help in organizing this effort, please respond
privately to [email protected] or call 845-794-4096 (Rally New York).

·
Registered
48 Posts
Well, a darn good start in that direction occured last Sunday at the worker school held at Tim O'Neils' training grounds. 40 page handout, a few hours of in-class instruction, and a brief mini-rally (with amazing high attrition!) to show how to implement what was taught. It was a good way to spend a nice day, I learned a few things, and even recruited a few folks to get their ham ticket to aid communications.

·
600 /CR !!! R2>
450 Posts
Yeah, yeah...We could make a movie, and cast Tommy Lee Jones ;)

Barbara Steencken ([email protected]) is the person to talk to. She is the national rally worker chairperson and worker chair of Sno*Drift. She has recently seen to the creation of a national rally workers license, available for free by request to all SCCA members.

--
JP Rowland jeremyrowland -at- mac.com
Co-driver, #896 Audi 4000 Quattro turbo, Open
Visit my boring web page: http://homepage.mac.com/jeremyrowland

·
Registered
583 Posts
>Organization of US Rally Marshals, similar to British Rally
>Marshals.
>
>The objective will be to provide for the purposes of
>local and international rallies in the Northeast:

Ivan,

Why limit the scope of "US Rally Marshals" to the Northeast? Could you possibly join forces with Rally America?

Rich Smith

Vive le "Pro-le-Ralliat"

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Well Pat and I have been doing worker training classes- Rim of the WOrld for the past three years! Also opened it up for the the other California Rally Series... teaching classes later in the year. Also we put together a worker training video about a year ago and got it digtalized.

We have always figured that workers need that extra training to understand the whole aspects about a rally and what goes on at each area as a control worker and at communications. Also Paul Timmerman comes in and talks/trains the spectator marshals.

Once they leave and might forget something...well there is the video to back up what was taught in class. This past Rim classes we had Subaru WRC model cars to auction away and other cool things were given out. Subaru sponsored the classes. They got on the bandwagon knowing that having experienced workers at these events help them to better understand their task and how to deal with problems that might arise. Hopefully soon we will upgrade our worker video to include other areas that need to be taught about that could happen at rallys.

Also I have a database that shows each worker what they have done in the past so that we know if that person comes back; we know what they are capable of doing/experience.

Denise McMahon

·
Registered
583 Posts
Denise,

Terrific. Your worker training program sounds very comprehensive and much farther along than most. Has it been entirely your own Regional effort? Have you ever been approached by SCCA National or Rally America asking you to share your training package for the benefit of other regions?

The concept of "US Rally Marshals" has great merit. But without some national coordinating effort each region will of necessity continue to evolve separetly and go there own way.

I'd hate to see the Northeast folks trying to reinvent the wheel again when a good one is already in motion at Wild West and other CRS venues. It takes a LOT of effort to prepare such programs. Hats off to you!

Rich Smith

Vive le "Pro-le-Ralliat"

·
Registered
3 Posts
.... Boy , this training would have been a great program @ STPR .... it was my first rally to work and with the "NEW" restrictions on spectating it would have been nice .... My girlfriend and I worked as spectator marshalls and she was also spectator area medical team on ss3 (she's a paramedic) and it would have helped both of us and the "other's " on our team I'm sure ,as everyone save 2 people were 1st timers . Do you also have anything geared towards the medical , because ours seemed to be very hap-hazard . It took almost 15 mins for the course medic's ...30-40 mins for the transport ambulance to get to our loc where the Smith team crashed their MGBGT, and this was the end of the running group ... and they should have been at the ss3 start (IMHO ) ... and the locals that showed up were not what they should or could have been (sorry , do not mean to put anyone down but). We both have extensive vehicle rescue experience and we would love to have some input too ! If this does get off the ground I'd love to be able to get it going @ STPR next year (with the commitee's blessing of course to be gotten ). I think after the "reasonably good" experience @ STPR , it would also help to recruit new marshalls to help next time (coulda used a "few" more from what I saw ! ) :D

·
Registered
926 Posts
It took me maybe 10 minutes to complete the tech test Thursday evening and I think I saw the examiner make 3 marks on it. I overheard a comment he made at that point to one of the other examiners - someone studied. They said my call should be up on the FCC database by the middle of this week. I havent thought about a vanity call yet.

I did study. It consisted of reading thru the complete set of questions and answers maybe 3 times. I confess I have a long and varied background in electronics and communications so the technical stuff was elementary for me. As a guide I used the question pool available thru: http://www.arrl.org/arrlvec/pools.html

My Elmer (W1JIM) and I went to Ham Radio Outlet yesterday and I bought a Yaesu FT-2800M 2M rig for the truck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts