Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Vote Libertarian next time!
Joined
·
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a departure from the conventional format, and in an attempt to simplify matters without dual trips to registration. In this way we hope to erase the open of registration stampede that frightens so many volunteers.

Vehicles will arrive at Royal Moore Subaru between Noon and 6:00pm; fall into line and receive a tech form there. Once inspections are completed you will head to the headquarters hotel to complete the registration process.

Maps and a revised schedule should be appearing shortly at www.oregontrailrally.com

Thank you

John Elkin
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,998 Posts
Not that I have a car to tech, but does this imply that your car must be inspected before you can register? If so, haven't you just moved the rush to tech?

No challenge - just curious. I always like to see changes that make things like registration run better.

Bruce
 

·
NASA Rally Sport grassroots!!!
Joined
·
2,835 Posts
>If so, haven't you just moved the rush to tech?

Well, maybe, but you would only have to go to
registration _once_. They are trying to eliminate
the "go to registration, go to tech, back to
registration with completed tech form." So, looks
like they cut the registration room traffic in
half, without increasing any waiting. (The waiting
was moved, but overall waiting may be less.)

Good idea.

Anders
 

·
Vote Libertarian next time!
Joined
·
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
At registration people can rush the room and spread over several positions. At tech there is one line (maybe two), plus as mentioned above this cuts the traffic at registration in half. I especially dislike having my registration done, having my completed tech form and still having to wait in line again for my route book. Two lines not three.

Brought to you by the revolutionaries of the Oregon Rally Group.

John Elkin
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,998 Posts
NOW I see the point...thanks. The same thing could be accomplished by allowing you to complete registration (route book and all) then go to tech. Tech just needs to compile a list so nobody slips through.

As I said, anything that makes registration go better is a good thing. Hardcards may be starting to help the congestion at Pro events, too.

Bruce
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,027 Posts
So I am making assumptions:

the return to registration was to pick up the route book after tech is complete (?)

Could the problem also been solved by

1) issuing the tech sheet at registration (can't get it until all parties are waivered...)

2) and issuing the route book at service (can't get it until car is teched)

Just curious to the process used and the problem being solved.

(From a registration stand point I think it might be easiest to handle each teams folder just once, with the tech first situation you might be have the drivers arrive at one time, the service crew another the crew chief a third...)

Good discussion,
Mike
 

·
straight at T
Joined
·
2,472 Posts
>At registration people can rush the room and spread over
>several positions. At tech there is one line (maybe two),
>plus as mentioned above this cuts the traffic at
>registration in half. I especially dislike having my
>registration done, having my completed tech form and still
>having to wait in line again for my route book. Two lines
>not three.

Why not just issue the route book at registration. I'm assuming that you are not going to start the car without a valid tech sticker (or equivalent), so why not give the codrivers as much time as possible with the routebook? (Not that it matters as much now, since I assume a lot of people will be getting notes - which are obtained outside the normal registration procedure).

Adrian
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
946 Posts
>>At registration people can rush the room and spread over
>>several positions. At tech there is one line (maybe two),
>>plus as mentioned above this cuts the traffic at
>>registration in half. I especially dislike having my
>>registration done, having my completed tech form and still
>>having to wait in line again for my route book. Two lines
>>not three.
>
>Why not just issue the route book at registration. I'm
>assuming that you are not going to start the car without a
>valid tech sticker (or equivalent), so why not give the
>codrivers as much time as possible with the routebook? (Not
>that it matters as much now, since I assume a lot of people
>will be getting notes - which are obtained outside the
>normal registration procedure).
>
>Adrian

No route book until 100% done. Its a NW thing.

I think doing Tech first will work out well. Tech will have a long line, but doesn't it always?

I'm going to predict that after this weekend, others strongly consider the same system.
 

·
don't cut
Joined
·
2,252 Posts
Hmm, here's a potential problem....

I roll into tech and your astute Tech Inspectors discover a bad ball joint. Of course it was fine back home in the shop, and I don't have a spare. No problem, the parts store will have one 8am tomorrow, and the chief of tech will check it for me at Parc Expose and gimme a sticker (I've had this happen). BUT.... now I can't register, get the logbook, etc...

Of course Tech could give a note or waiver, but then that confuses registration and is a PIA.

Dennis Martin
[email protected]
920-432-4845
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
291 Posts
>At registration people can rush the room and spread over
>several positions. At tech there is one line (maybe two),
>plus as mentioned above this cuts the traffic at
>registration in half. I especially dislike having my
>registration done, having my completed tech form and still
>having to wait in line again for my route book. Two lines
>not three.
>
>Brought to you by the revolutionaries of the Oregon Rally
>Group.
>
>John Elkin

I think this is a great idea and will make things easier. I know I didn't like the going back and forth thing..now if they were across the street from each other it would be a different story.

I want to say thanks to everyone involved in putting on this event...
Tina
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
946 Posts
>Hmm, here's a potential problem....
>
>I roll into tech and your astute Tech Inspectors discover a
>bad ball joint. Of course it was fine back home in the
>shop, and I don't have a spare. No problem, the parts store
>will have one 8am tomorrow, and the chief of tech will check
>it for me at Parc Expose and gimme a sticker (I've had this
>happen). BUT.... now I can't register, get the logbook,
>etc...
>
>Of course Tech could give a note or waiver, but then that
>confuses registration and is a PIA.
>
>Dennis Martin
>[email protected]
>920-432-4845

I'm sure if the situation you mentioned comes up, that it will be handled on a case by case basis. Out of 80 cars, you should be able to get 78-79 through without a problem.

I'm sure in that situation you would finish registering, but you wouldn't have your magic tech sticker in your window until you got it finished. No tech sticker, no start the rally.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
946 Posts
>The only thing remaining is to assign tech appointments when
>the crew enters the rally. This will prevent tech from
>becoming over crowded and give contestants and crews time to
>eat.

I agree. I also think the Production classes and Group N should tech together as three distinct groups. Makes it easy for everyone in a class to look at each others cars without having to wait all day in line waiting for them to come through.
 

·
Administrator Emeritus
Joined
·
1,207 Posts
>No route book until 100% done. Its a NW thing.

Actually, I'm not sure it's going to work quite that way for Oregon Trail. We are still working out the exact details.

This is what happens when the event chairman is a co-driver. I want to make sure the co-driver has the routebook as soon as possible. Teams have to have everything done to start the event; I don't see the point of depriving the co-driver time with the routebook. Most co-drivers have processes that take time, and they like to have some sleep or party time before the event too.

Ben
Oregon Trail ProRally
Chairman/Chief Bottle Washer
 

·
Big Jump 800
Joined
·
716 Posts
I tend to agree with Mike, Bruce and Adrian that there is NO valid reason that the route books can't be handed out at registration. As Adrian points out, no vehicle will be allowed to start without a tech sticker. There seems to be some connection between Registration and Tech that some organizers are holding on to but which has been proven unnecessary by other organizers.

I hope Trevor's wish that others consider Ben's plan doesn't happen (sorry Ben!).

J.B. Niday
www.nidayrallysport.com
 

·
Administrator Emeritus
Joined
·
1,207 Posts
>I hope Trevor's wish that others consider Ben's plan doesn't
>happen (sorry Ben!).

If you will re-read my post, you will see that it's *not* what I'm planning to do.

Ben
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
158 Posts
Thank you, Oregon Region organizers, for trying something different! As a co-driver, I like the idea that I might be able to get the routebook a little sooner this way. Let's try it and see how it works!

As for assigning tech times or having to have everyone fully waivered before being allowed to tech, I hope it doesn't come to that for Club. In co-driving for 3 different drivers so far, I as co-driver, along with my Service Chief, have been the one that's made the haul to the event with the rally car in tow and put it through on-site registration and tech; the driver has arrived later, often after reg'n and tech have closed on Friday. That puts the small, lower-budget Club teams who have to work regular jobs at a real disadvantage.

Just my $.02!

I am so looking forward to the weekend and seeing many friends down in Oregon!

Kathryn Hansen
#226 Honda Civic (debuting at this event!)
co-driver (who appreciates lots of quality time with the routebook!)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
946 Posts
>I tend to agree with Mike, Bruce and Adrian that there is NO
>valid reason that the route books can't be handed out at
>registration. As Adrian points out, no vehicle will be
>allowed to start without a tech sticker. There seems to be
>some connection between Registration and Tech that some
>organizers are holding on to but which has been proven
>unnecessary by other organizers.
>
>I hope Trevor's wish that others consider Ben's plan doesn't
>happen (sorry Ben!).
>
>J.B. Niday
>www.nidayrallysport.com

The part about not getting the route book until 100% done, or the part about doing tech first and then the rest later?

I didn't say I was for/against route book aquisition and timing. Just the in the NW it has been my experience that you don't get the route book until you are 100% done with everything. I believe the supplemental regs for OT back this up also.

Obviously the earlier the route book is aquired the better. With stage notes, I think when stages notes are aquired is a bigger issue. I don't believe stage notes are tied to anything other than going to the table and getting them.

I think teching first, registration 2nd will make it easier on the registration people.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top