Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Vote Libertarian next time!
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Once again this year the organizers of the Oregon Trail Rally will be utilizing Observation Controls on both Recce and during the running of the event to protect our use of roads in sensitive areas. The controls will be equipped with radar guns and penalties do exist for exceeding the speed limit listed in the route book. The organizers would consider this years event a success if we didn't have to assess a single penalty.

Just a couple of reminders:
After the stage is over remember to look in your route book for speed or quiet zones on the next transit.
Be aware of when you are approaching these areas and tell your driver well in advance.
Be familiar with the penalties.
Just because you had trouble in a stage and are going to be late to the next ATC does not give you the right to speed.

We have some seriously sensitive areas where some seriously nervous people live who are just itching to find a reason to complain to the county. Lets not give them that chance.

Everyone have a great event!

·
www.facebook.com/evorally
623 Posts
Noted for us Sweeps too, I'll have my navigator pay close attention to those in our routebook.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
FYI - for Rally America and all organizers... This is also a big reason why media should be given routebooks...so we actually know what's going on.

W
This confuses me a bit. The OBS controls are not noted in the route book, and the speed notations are to remind competitors - who are still overcome by red mist - what the speed limits are. For the rest of us, they're posted. And any normal vehicle shouldn't have a problem with quiet zones.

Printing enough route books for all media folks to have one is an added expense for the organizers. Please explain how this would help the media...they seem to get places with the information they have. Maybe I'm missing something.

Bruce

·
Registered
510 Posts
The quite zones last year at OTR did not have posted speed limits and they were close to the end of a stage. I agree that having routebooks would help media. Warwick have you tired to purchase one at a rally?

·
Registered
221 Posts
I'm not sure if this is correct, but it seems that sometimes the "rally" speed limit may be slower than the actual speed limit for the road. IF this is the case, then the route book is necessary to know the speed limit being enforced by the "O" control. (e.g. route book speed limit 15 while passing a resident(s)'s home that may not like the rally, when the speed limit on the road could be say 35?)

Jeremy

·
Registered
777 Posts
Bruce is right on with his post as is Jeremy. No media guy I know drives the course. They take every shortcut they can find and a route book doesn't help too much. Good maps seem to be the thing they need.
OBS controls are not for media anyway.
Trying to buy one will most likely not get you anywhere as organizers print the minimum that they need.

·
NASA Rally Sport grassroots!!!
2,835 Posts
I give our media guys a Rally Guide, just like the racers get. It has directions to all stage starts, finishes, and spectator areas, as well as maps and a schedule. (and 40 pages of other stuff) No route book though.

But back to the point, I hope the O controls go well. Seems like there were 5 notifications for competitors last year, all those plus SS makes 6 for this year, so hopefully it won't surprise anyone. :)

Anders

·
R6 300 FOC!
1,513 Posts
Sorry, yeah, my comment was a little ill-aimed. At the moment, except for a few rallies that have good maps and media pack, I often try and get a routebook because it is generally the only reliable source of information and directions (I do offer to buy). I use it mainly to know where starts/finishes are (so I can record camera position mileages properly...see below), where blocker and radio points are, sensitive public areas, etc. Its uncomfortable going into rallies (and camera recce) where I have no clue where I'm going except for a tiny little photocopied map (cue 321Go's comment about GOOD maps). It just leads to a) getting lost and b) rushing around trying to find a way into a stage because you don't know if it was supposed to be "that left" or "this left". While I agree that OBS points are not a concern to media (as we are not in loud rally cars and should be following the speed limit), its all the other little details that make life safer and easier.

For example, I would much rather be able to arrive at a start control and tell the marshall "Hi, I'm going into XX miles, instruction 12, and there is a radio point there so I can get him to radio you when I'm clear of the stage if you want..." Also, I realize there is different levels of media experience out there so this may not apply to all, but I have been in a number of situations where I am the first responder to an incident (something happens in front of me)...so having things like ham frequencies, distances to next radio point etc are handy. Also, a copy of the recce schedule is handy so that we can stay far away from the rally cars while we look for camera spots.

I'll correct myself and say "This is why GOOD MAPS and a DETAILED information pack are important..."

·
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
One "O" Control for Oregon Trail will be close to the end of a stage like last year. It is necessary, the people that own the farm at the end of that road are powerful in the community and can shut us out of another area if they wanted to. Last year there were very impressed with our efforts to keep dust down and they like us, we want to keep it that way.

The route around Fir Mountain in Hood River County has changed a bit so the "O" Control there is in a different place. Keep an eye out for it. All controls will be properly signed (only one wasn't last year on recce, all others and the ones in competition were).

As for the "coming out of the red mist" comment. I've been rallying longer than I want to admit, and I have learned over the years that part of the challenge to rally is controlling yourself or having a good navigator that does it for you. As a driver you have that minute or so in the control to breathe in and calm down. If you cannot, it is up to the navigator to keep the driver under control, and at the speed limit. Most "O" Control penalties I have seen over the years are the navigators fault, they never told the driver or they only did once and did not remind them and then didn't notice the speed creeping up. I don't care what the posted speed is, the route book overrides speed limits (as long as it is under the posted limit of course) and it is the navigators job to be in command to keep the driver informed.

I don't want to have to hand out a single penalty this weekend, that would make me happier than a tornado in a trailer park. I hope everyone has a safe and fun weekend.

·
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
One "O" Control for Oregon Trail will be close to the end of a stage like last year. It is necessary, the people that own the farm at the end of that road are powerful in the community and can shut us out of another area if they wanted to. Last year they were very impressed with our efforts to keep dust down and they like us, we want to keep it that way.

The route around Fir Mountain in Hood River County has changed a bit so the "O" Control there is in a different place. Keep an eye out for it. All controls will be properly signed (only one wasn't last year on recce, all others and the ones in competition were).

As for the "coming out of the red mist" comment. I've been rallying longer than I want to admit, and I have learned over the years that part of the challenge to rally is controlling yourself or having a good navigator that does it for you. As a driver you have that minute or so in the control to breathe in and calm down. If you cannot, it is up to the navigator to keep the driver under control, and at the speed limit. Most "O" Control penalties I have seen over the years are the navigators fault, they never told the driver or they only did once and did not remind them and then didn't notice the speed creeping up. I don't care what the posted speed is, the route book overrides speed limits (as long as it is under the posted limit of course) and it is the navigators job to be in command to keep the driver informed.

I don't want to have to hand out a single penalty this weekend, that would make me happier than a tornado in a trailer park. I hope everyone has a safe and fun weekend.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
The quite zones last year at OTR did not have posted speed limits and they were close to the end of a stage. I agree that having routebooks would help media. Warwick have you tired to purchase one at a rally?
At Desert Storm...we have routebooks for media, photographers and understand from our media meeting the do's and don't's. If you have a binder machine, clips extra card stock for front and back you can make the extra RB's and only cost the fraction of a copying store... We do out best to accomandate them...they have been working within our rules and helped to be a blockage as well.

John Elkin is very much correct that the speed limits in the RB overide the speed limits that are posted. They will always be lowered speed limits due to the event has a very good reason to do that...possibly like they are saying...sensitive areas..like we do at Desert Storm...it is probably part of their permit agreement and it takes ALL people involved to make sure that happens or they might not be welcomed back next year in that area.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Sorry, Billyee, the quiet zones last year did have posted speed limits. They were in the route book. Which you as co-driver should have had ready at the stop control to commence the transit-- both during competition and during recce.

Mom went through and wrote the speed limit after the stop control in the notes, so she could tell me what speed I'm supposed to be going next while she's shuffling paperwork. I highly recommend all competitors running notes try this, it certainly helped us.

As for recce: all competitors participating in recce should have the route book as well as notes book out and working from it. I heard from a lot of people who got nabbed last year that they didn't know what the speed limit was because they were working from maps instead of the route book. Well, sorry, charlie, we gave you a route book and two driver's bulletins about the speed, and told each and every one of you directly about it. I'm sorry that you can't follow directions.

So! This year, there will be no mercy. If you get caught, expect to pony up the cash and take the penalty like men. You have been extensively warned.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts