Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Administrator Emeritus
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jeff Burmeister just called in some brief details after the finish of stage 2:

Paul Choinere lost 30 seconds on stage 2, currently struggling through stage 3. Reported stopped, but then continuing.

Most of the top teams within 10 seconds of each other.

Should have some standings in another hour. Sorry we couldn't get more info, waiting for the teams to come in to service. Jeff told me he will continue to call from the event as often as he can.

Jim

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm glad to see that somebody is checking things out. I'm trying to post things as soon as I can as they come in over the radio.

We're running SS3 (East Fork Crossover) it's a long stage, ~16 miles. The teams go to service at the end of this stage.

Weather is fantastic!

as soon as I get things, I'm posting them.

·
Administrator Emeritus
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Top 3 Positions After 3 Stages (unofficial):

1. Mark Higgins - 32 minutes, 37 seconds
2. David Higgins - 33 minutes, 14 seconds
3. Rhys Millen - 34 minutes, 09 seconds

Mark Lovell is out with transmission problems.

Paul Choiniere is out, unknown problems, still on stage.

·
Registered
49 Posts
5 (Mark Higgins/Gibson, Hyundai) having tranny problems, requests service at end of SS4

MAY NOT BE OUT, ARE MOVING UNDER OWN POWER, MAY JUST BE DIFFERENTIAL PROBLEM.

FWIW... My 'Fast Breaking News' is all UnOfficial, almost gossip. Anything Official will be in the form of a Press Release. ;)

Paul

·
Administrator Emeritus
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As the sun is setting and the temperatures are dropping, the lights are going on the cars for the final 2 stages of the night. Here are the unofficial top 4 positions after 6 stages:

1. David Higgins - 57:30
2. Rhys Millen - 58:31
3. Ramana Lagemann - 58:59
4. Mark Higgins - 59:57

Mark Higgins dropped from 1st to 4th due to gearbox troubles slowing him down on 2 stages. Drivers have been praising the pace notes.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I beg to differ. There is more recent info on this forum. But what can you trust?

Its 4 hours past the last Saturday night stage, the drivers are in bed and there still isn't one stage score posted, or even a rumor of the overall positions and totals. (Meanwhile, I'm looking at "live" stage scores from Cyprus within about 10 minutes of finish control check-in, and reading 4 paragraph news summaries of each stage before the stage is even closed.)

I believe the info would get distributed quickly, if there was someone working to collect and edit it. Remember the "Time Vulture"?
One honest co-driver used as a news source would give most of the top 15 cars times and stories. Someone should try this.

Dougie

·
3/14=my 42nd rally anniversary
3,979 Posts
Oregon Trail Reports ...

Boy howdy, in several of the classes the actual Pro running order sure is a lot different than the leaders reported in the official press release. Many of the reported class front-runners are ClubRally-only entrants.

Take out the Club cars and Group 5 shows Hintz two minutes ahead of Al K's Neon. In Production Jacquot has two minutes in hand over Field while Jamie Thomas appears to have lost over 8 minutes in SS3 and is 12 minutes behind the Celica. Prod GT shows returning Dodge Boy Bruce Davis ahead of Bob Henderson by about a minute-and-a-half.

BTW - From within the 29 remaining ProRally competitors the runners named above comprise the entire remaining field in the mentioned classes and if my pre-cup-of-coffee spreadsheet is right then Davis, Henderson & Thomas are at the bottom overall, respectively, which is an interesting development for PGT.

Halley ...
http://www.realautosport.com

·
Registered
204 Posts
RE: Oregon Trail Reports ...

I predicted that PGT would be the wekest class in the event -- I said that most G2 cars would beat most PGT cars -- but I didn't expect it to be that bad! Two of the last 3 positions!?

·
3,979 Posts

>I predicted that PGT would be the wekest class in the event
>-- I said that most G2 cars would beat most PGT cars -- but
>I didn't expect it to be that bad! Two of the last 3
>positions!?

Well - don't read too much into that. Bruce Davis hasn't been in a rally car in over a decade (and never in an AWD turbo car that I know of) and I know nothing of Henderson except he's over a minute behind Bruce at this moment.

At my first ProRally in over 16 years (Prescott '99) I restarted dead last on the Pro field (albeit in a machine that wouldn't go 90 mph if you pushed it out of the back of a C-130 at 10,000 feet) and managed to pull my head out enough to salvage a reasonable final result. Things could change, but with around 20 minutes to make up I doubt either PGT entry is a threat for the overall win. ;)

Halley ...

·
Registered
34 Posts
RE: Oregon Trail - Unofficial Stage Times, Day 1

Oregon has just set the benchmark on interim results reporting here in the US. It was worth waiting for this amount of detail

·
Registered
46 Posts

These times though are for "day one".

Or you telling us that "day one" is Saturday, and "day two" is SUNDAY?

Why would a west coast event end on Sunday? How does one who lives on the east coast get back to work on MONDAY if the event still runs on Sunday?

What causes this?

·
3,979 Posts

>These times though are for "day one".
>
>Or you telling us that "day one" is Saturday, and "day two"
>is SUNDAY?
>
>Why would a west coast event end on Sunday? How does one
>who lives on the east coast get back to work on
>MONDAY if the event still runs on Sunday?
>
>What causes this?

Organizer choice. It might have something to do with road use requirements.

The schedule's been published since entries opened - anyone with a problem running on Sunday had the option to not enter. Otherwise, what's the difference? A Monday off or a Friday off costs me the same day of vacation. I suppose that results may vary for others.

Halley ...

·
Registered
204 Posts

<< I know nothing of Henderson except he's over a minute behind Bruce at this moment.>>

O.K., I did A LITTLE BIT of searching of Ed Brennan's archives to get some history on Bob Henderson. The first time you run across his name is the '80 STPR as the chairman of the event. He competed in the event in '81 and '82 in an AMC Eagle. I bet if I searched further I would find that he is also one person MacArthur co-drove for years ago.

Anyone want to fill in some blanks for us?

·
Registered
1,407 Posts

He and John McArthur were seeded ahead of K who was in front of us at Cherokee. They got passed on the first four stages. On stage two we passed them and I was advised that the 2 cars behind me passed them too.

Prior to the reseed, they were losing 4 minutes to the G2 and P cars they were seeded with for stages 2, 3, and 4. Due to FIA timing. We had to let them get back in front of us at the next stage each time. I don't know how much time we or others lost behind them, but it was substantial. Very poor seeding. I wasn't happy.

·
1973 WRC POR
2,421 Posts

Prior to CT, Dave Shindle made a post questionning the car number and seed of Henderson. I note that Henderson finished dead last at CT and, after one day, is dead last in Pro at OT. His assigned seed does seem rather optimistic.

Excuse my ignorance from north of the border, but is his co-driver not somehow involved in the seeding process?

Doug Woods

·
Registered
1,443 Posts

Shhhh! Be Vewy, vewy quiet, or you shall be forever banished to seed 8 by good ol' Whatisname, the seeding guru.

·
Registered
204 Posts

His seed is headed in the right direction. Did anyone notice that at CT he was a seed 3 and in the final posted start order for OT he was both a seed 4 AND a seed 5 entrant?

·
Registered
204 Posts
I'm suffering withdrawal! No info for over 2 hours! Where are the results? Everyone should be in to final MTC.

Seriously, though, thanks for the updates guys. It's been great.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts