Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering a Optima battery for my VW.
Out of the three choices, red blue and yellow tops which is recommended?
I assume you'll say Red top but wondering if deep cycle would work.

Thanks,

PS< if anyone has a good idea where to buy one for best price include that also please.>

Matthew
www.trirally.com

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
i personally use the red top got a really good deal at interstate batteries. 120 but it was the last top post only one they had. i love it 800cca but puts out nearly 1000 for the first few seconds. the yellow top is reccomended for things like ambulances and cop cars. most rally cars that i have seen use the red top.
greg donovan

·
Registered
483 Posts
From the Optima batteries website ( http://www.optimabatteries.com/usingOptima/applicationsYellow.asp ):

"Starting applications in high-accessory vehicles/High Cycling Applications. Vehicles with computers, extra radios, electronic components, lights, winches, etc. will create excessive amperage drain that can damage a starting battery. Recommend the OPTIMA Yellow Top to provide fast recharging and longer life due to its' ability to cycle over 300 times.

Starting applications with low amperage draws. If your customer has a vehicle that sits unused for long periods of time, either OPTIMA will provide longer life due to reduced corrosion and sulfation. However, if the vehicle has an alarm, computer, or other low amperage drain, the Yellow Top will guard against deep cycling damage that can occur over long periods of time."

Looks like rally use to me... also, if your alternator dies (as seems to be common at Rim), this battery is rated at one hour at a 50 Amp draw, whitch I would imagine is about what most rally cars are pulling with 4 100W lights (34amps) and ignition/computers/ etc. AND the yellow tops are designed to be cycled 300 times without damage to the battery.

If anyone has information why a yellow top should NOT be used, please provide it here.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
i can think of no reason to not use a yellow for rally especially if you mount it remotely. i am stil using my car as a street car and the yellow was too big and too much money for a street car w/no accessories. but when i rally the red will be moved to another car and a yellow will take its place in the rallycar
greg donovan

128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thus far my choice would idealy be the yellow top version. However with the battery in it's stock location I believe there may be size issues and cable length issues because the posts are not ideally placed for a foreign car. Perhaps I'll swing by Batteries Plus today in my street GTI and see what looks like it'll work.

Thanks for the info!

Matthew
www.trirally.com

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Matt,

I had a yellow top in my GTI. I just made a custom hold down for it and made longer cables. I currently have a yellow top in the Mazda. It IS heavier than the red top, but after an alternator failure at LSPR 2 years ago and borrowing a deep cycle battery from Colin to finish the race (4 stages and transit back to Houghton), I am sold.

I just removed and taped up the brake light switch so I wouldn't be draining any excess power...used hand signals on the transits. Had more than enough juice for the rest of the day running the injection, ignition, et al. (no night stages)

Lurch

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
All,

Is the appeal of the Optima just the large AH capacity and the large CCA#? Is there any other advantage, like tougher construction, thicker plates that are less likely to break, a gel electrolyte, etc.? I only ask becasue you can get the CCA ratings, or darned close to them, in other "standard" style batteries. I just never looked at these at all and would like to know the advantages.

Mark B.

·
400 flat to crest
5,777 Posts
Mark, the things were originally developed, if my memory serves me correctly (but you know about early onset alzheimer dontcha) these were developed in Sweden to incorporate all the stuff you mentioned, spiral wound plates, tough construction, I think gel, etc expressly for rally cars and then Optima AB was bought up.

Several people I know there have said that they can shake apart a standard battery in 1-2 events, hence the need for a really durable battery.

John Vanlandingham

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Alzheimer? That word seems vaguely familiar but I can't remember what it means just at this moment......

OK, now I know why those batteries look like small grain silo complexes. :)

MB

·
400 flat to crest
5,777 Posts
>Alzheimer? That word seems vaguely familiar but I can't
>remember what it means just at this moment......
>
>OK, now I know why those batteries look like small grain
>silo complexes. :)
>
>MB

now you see why I like the shifter right by the rim of the wheel:
I don't have to remember to grope around like wherever for the gearstick.
And then to remember some obscure pattern.

John Vanlandingham

128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I ended up buying the yellow top optima, it looks like I'll have to adjust the mounting brackets a tad to have it clamped in properly but otherwise it'll fit fine. Looks like my stock cables might reach also.

My alternator seems healthy most of the time but randomly goes to 12v and stays for a little while at a time. I don't completely understand the system but the alternator checks out fine on the equipment used by alt rebuilders. My standard battery is about 5 years old now and has been through a few rallies now, this seemed like a good time to go for it, especially since so much of STPR is at night.

Thanks everyone.
Cheers,

Matthew
www.trirally.com

1 - 12 of 12 Posts