Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
>Could it be that PPIHC is actually BIGGER than any SCCA
>prorally... and maybe has a different insurer.
>
>Philip J. Boer
>[email protected]

Its an apple an an orange. Pikes peak has one set of rules, all other events have a different set of rules. STPR was the start, I imagine Oregon Trail will show further changes as far as spectating and event procedures.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I'm going to guess that it's sanctioned as a hillclimb, and not a rally.

Not to mention that it is an entirely different creature. I do believe that this is actually the first year that PPIHC was an SCCA event.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I believe SCCA is an invited class. the Peak has its own sanctioning body. They run motorcycles, open wheeled cars, trucks, and stock cars. The SCCA may sanction the SCCA classes. Can someone clarify?

I looked around the PP site but it is a bit complicated to find stuff with this web-tv. (Getting a computer soon)

Do the SCCA cars have to magniflux their front suspension? Do they have to qualify? or can you just pay your nickle and race?

Dick Fuhrman

·
Registered
272 Posts
>
>Not to mention that it is an entirely different creature. I
>do believe that this is actually the first year that PPIHC
>was an SCCA event.

SCCA provided sanction to the PPIHC group for the entire event (every class, including PP only classes) and "delivered" (in Kurt's words) a group of rally cars to the start line. Everything else was down to the PPIHC organizers.

There was no qualifying for anything other than start order, it was a matter of paying (and dealing with the no refund policy) and turning up for the rookie meeting. Tech was very much like any other Pro-rally tech and was done by Doug with the aid of a couple of PP inspectors.

I recall one estimate of 8 to 10,000 spectators on the hill (not one of whome offered us beer on the trip down BTW, very disapointing) in one of the Colorado papers Sunday morning.

I understand every marshall could see next marshall both up and down the road. In short every foot of the 12 mile road, and every spectator could be seen by a marshall with a radio and (so I was told by one) the authority to shut the road down and have red flags shown from all the flag stations.

I think there were very few restrictions on where spectators could watch from, they were cartainly very enthusiastic, but I don't recall one in a dangerous location or trying to get close to the speeding cars.

·
50 L3/CR 70 Yump 200
997 Posts
Dave has it to a T, interesting that IF this had been at STPR, We (car 83 Utecht/Secor) would have been obligated to stop and throw the redcross because of the spectator that ran across the road 20 ft in front of us - too bad this is not on our in-car tape, (it shut itself off after our spin/stall about 1/2 mile before) - and like I told Mark, I did not think to turn it back on because I was busy....Listening to God!
Yes- we still let the organizers know about this

·
Registered
1 Posts
I you are talking about the person running in front of a red Subaru at eleven mile I have video.

Everyone spectating at this location was sorry that you missed the idiot, but happy that you did not have to slow for him either...

Robert_H

1 - 11 of 11 Posts