Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've sat back and read all the posts about spectating, insurances, forest restrictions and the greenies and tree huggers etc etc etc.

On this side of the world we have a saying "Only in America". This usually relates to such incidences as Spilling Mc Donald's coffee in yer lap going over a speed bump and suing Mc Donalds for negligence, or Woody Allen marrying his imported adoptee daughter or being cited for a misdemeanor for smoking a joint but a $500 fine for smoking a legally purchased cigarette etc etc etc. Don't get me wrong, I love the States, 7 years of my life was spent there but the crazy thinking (by some), is making its way downunder.

Police in New South Wales (Australia) have decided bicycles are "Vehicles" and as with any vehicle, can not be raced on public roads (as in pack races or tours) but, like all vehicle races can only be staged in "Sterile" conditions (ie full road closure). It has the competitive cycling fraternity in turmoil and organisers of a dozen international races have plans shattered.

Make sure this is not reported in the USA. I can just see some transport beauracrat compering this to rallying. "A rally car is a racing car -> a road racing car -> roads = circuits = sterile conditions.

Don't laugh it off!!!!!!! It's a weird world we live in and alas, is getting weirder in this neck of the woods

·
don't cut
4,075 Posts
Sorry, this has already happened to bicycle racing in the US. We no longer work a bicycle "race" in Paris TX, home of our ClubRally. Rather, we go work a "tour". People are no longer timed around the course.
Richard
KD5PXM

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, all over the world including the USA they have bicycle races and tours on open roads, tho' the traffic is well controlled and I can't remember hearing of a major accident internationally in the 20 years I've had an interest in cycling. Now when I say "open" roads, it is usually back country roads where the traffic levels are low and easily controlled and I think this is what has the Aussies peeved. Some beauracrat out of touch with reality has made a blanket ruling which affects an entire sport.

Now I have to admit that the title of this thread should be extended to include not only America and Australia but also New Zealand for our own dipsticks have come up with a classic one!!!!!!

They are going to tax farts!!!!! Yep, you got it, the poor old farmer has to pay a tax for his cows flatulence so the government can adhere to the Kyoto Agreement and investigate what effects rear end emmissions have on the atmosphere in NZ.

Now they want $8 million for this study. Hell for half that I could tell them what effect it has......None!!!! So damn windy here the offending gas is halfway across the Pacific before it's cold!!!!

However, I could tell them what effect the hot air that is emitted from our Parliament has on the country.......nausiating!!!!!!!!

Don

·
Registered
44 Posts
I guess on back roads it would be ok. but I still think it would be dangerous. back when I was racing, most of what we raced on were criteriums that were closed off to other traffic. I remember some time trials that were on open roads but there the riders were started at intervals. In defense of the authorties, do you think it would be safe for a pack of riders in a double paceline or gaggle group to be blocking an entire lane of traffic? all it takes is one impatient jackass to try and pass and you have several casualties. I don't know that I would participate in such an event.
as far as taxing emissions from farm critters...... well that is just dumb. and laughable. I would have thought you were jesting about that but I had seen it on another "more newsy" website.
cheers!
chris

·
Registered
124 Posts
OK, this is kinda off topic, but I'll bite.

So we thing closed courses are the answer, right?

Well, back in about 1978, I was in a pack of juniors
at the Moline Criterium, when this drunk local backs
out the driveway to get another sixer, (probably before
the stock car race started). Anyhow, I ended up on the
hood. My buddy got clipped in the rear wheel with the cars fender
while sliding (good trick!) After he hit the car he did this funny
wig wag dance down the road before softly laying it over.
Nobody was seriously hurt, thank god. Looking back, I wonder why I
did not remove a souveneir while pushing off to chase
the pack (just a mirror or wiper, or something!)

I also remember no vehicle accidents where I had to run back
to the start finish to get medical help. No radios were used
in those days.

When it's me on the ground, I vote for radios. I also vote
for no drunk idiots driking on the course, but you can't
police every driveway can you?

So yeah, things move ahead. Remember we used to rally at speed on
open roads with no radios either. Is it progress? Thats just a
value judgement. Things change, and you can't go back. Except
you could move to New Zealand. ;-)

pt-

1 - 7 of 7 Posts