Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
last sunday i was sitting in the airport drinking tim horton coffee, waiting for a flight home from rocky and the topic of Mexico WRC came up. there are a couple of teams from the northeast that are interested in going down and we figured if we could get 3 or maybe even 4 cars to go down then the cost would be obviously much less then doing it solo. If there is anyone interested in possibly joining as a competitor or as service crew then feel free to put your two cents worth in.
Chris Bacon
Bacon Motorsports

·
NASA Rally Sport grassroots!!!
2,835 Posts
Have any idea how many people you would need to crew? What level of support are you planning on putting together? What length of stay do you think the whole thing would be?

Cheers,
Anders

·
I am not here anymore
2,798 Posts
>last sunday i was sitting in the airport drinking tim horton
>coffee, waiting for a flight home from rocky and the topic of
>Mexico WRC came up. there are a couple of teams from the
>northeast that are interested in going down and we figured if
>we could get 3 or maybe even 4 cars to go down then the cost
>would be obviously much less then doing it solo. If there is
>anyone interested in possibly joining as a competitor or as
>service crew then feel free to put your two cents worth in.
>Chris Bacon
>Bacon Motorsports

Doug Chernis and I are planning on competing at Mexico WRC next year if we can get the logistics figured out. Doug and the car are based out of Arizona.

alan

·
Registered
223 Posts
Hey Anders! Personally, I think someone should sponsor me and your hot girfriend to race in Mexico. If you could spare her again. She's a great co-driver. Or better yet, I would like to see both of you race. That would eb rad. I got to see Wyeth driving for the inagural rally Mexico. It was pretty sweet. Overall, I think Mexico is rad.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
RE: retirement in your prime?

>
>> retirement.
>>
>>- Christian
>>
>>Bjorn Christian Edstrom
>>www.christianedstrom.com
>
>Huh???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
>

Well, you know how it is with co-drivers. One you've made 10 or 12 million, you might as well retire and enjoy it. I know that's what I did.

Edit: I almost forgot to add that now my wife & I are raking in additional millions working on Sno*Drift.:7

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
right now this is obviously in the early stages but i am currently talking with Billy Bacon (my brother)and John Cassidy's team as well. I have a good friend that is a long distance trucker and already spoke to him, i should have a ballpark dollar amount by the end of the week. Any team that is in the New England area or is reasonably close to the highways/ can get close to a highway we are taking are more than welcome to join in. More teams means less money. As far as time i will be planning 2.5-3 weeks if you are driving down and a solid week if you are gonna fly down. After I get a some confirmations from enough teams then we can talk about service crew as well. Please keep in mind that i have never organized something of this magnitude and it could be a total disaster. i am sure it will be a bit of a learning experience. thanks again
Chris Bacon
Bacon Motorsports

·
Couch rallyist!
344 Posts
If you ship your car down on a carrier, what about service vehicles? Seems to me that towing distance would be the smallest concern in an effort to run the WRC event. If you are going to cough it up for the entry fee, and all the other expenses you can't escape, wouldn't it be wise to bring a crack service team outfitted with everything you could possibly need?

If NC Rally were to try this, I think we'd end up with the box truck full to the top. At that point, using it to tow down would be the only logical option. Heck, can't be much further than Oregon was! ;)

I know that at least a few people on our team would be willing to crew for anyone putting a serious effort into running Mexico.

Alex
NC Rally

·
Need ride. Please send money.
1,278 Posts
IF it is possible to get our WRX to a point where it would be accepted to run there, we will be trying to go.

JC
www.gnimotorsports.com

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i did not have my heart set on shipping the cars i was just seeing what it would cost and if it would be cheaper to send maybe 5 cars and 3 box trucks then rent a van down there for hauling people. that does not rule out everyone towing down behind there own rigs though. from the New England area i think it is 200 more miles to mexico city than oregon trail.
Chris Bacon
Bacon Motorsports

·
Mä meen vittu sinne!
6,058 Posts
Logistics are tricky. Cost is high. Last year at Monarch hill climb Jeff Zwart, who has ran WRC events with Mazda I believe, told Aaron McConnell that Aaron would be better off spending all his money to run one WRC level event than to run the entire US series. We'll be there hopefully if not with a Colorado team at least spectating.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Guess I ought to chime in here as this has been a crazy dream of mine for a few years.

I don't have the resources to run Mexico multiple times.

So, I want to feel I've had a good run at it.

Most of us aren't use to running three day events with recce, esepcially at the altitude in Mexico.

Tires, fuel, parts, crews etc. are all huge logistical issues. No one wants to get there and not have a good run because they left a part back home in the shed! ;-)

Anyway, I feel like we've got a few ways we can think about doing this.

1.) Everyone do their own thing. I don't think it's a good option.

2.) Pool our resources, crews, parts, etc. Many of us have service rigs and spare parts. Many of us have good crews. Economies of scale. As long as everyone can get along and we have an inventory of parts before we go, this isn't a bad option.

3.) I think the best option would be #2 plus someone to shepherd us all through the process for a fee. Not sure who would be willing to do this or what the fee would be, but I'm thinking a rally prep shop. Autosport Engineering has the most experience in Mexico specifically with Wyeth. Stewart at CanJam in Toronto has extensive experience with Pat in the PWRC events.

Having someone to assist with the intricacies of fielding a team in Mexico would be extremely helpful. Hopefully the fee would be less if shared among many.

The biggest issues I see are on the ground issues like hotels, fuel, tires, shipping cars, border crossings etc. I understand that the organizers were trying to entice US/Canadian entries last year with a fairly inexpensive entry fee.

Cars. Are they Group N legal? From what I understand, the event is both WRC Mexico and a Mexican National rally run together? I'm sure someone knows better than I. The Peugeot 206 cup cars are FIA legal, but I don't believe they're in the WRC event, rather, running as a part of the National Rally.

Is a "local homologation," Group N car eligible for international Group N competition? Again, there are those that know better than I. No one wants to show up and be turned down at tech! Should all cars be pre-tech'd by someone in the know prior to departing for Mexico so that they can be brought up to spec if possible?

Would the organizers make allowances for US cars in the National portion of the event in order to fill the field? Again, no answer from me on this one.

Lots of interest, and I think we have lots of experience in the US to draw upon to make this happen. Most of us don't have $50K to go run rally Mexico, but if we can do it as a group for much less $/team, than I think we'd see over 10 cars going down.

I hope that those more experienced with international competition will chime in.

Cheers! John

·
Registered
859 Posts
How bout a different WRC event like Turkey? Possibly cheaper (depending on category)as well... Heck, you can even plan your next vacation there since it is at one of the most beatiful Mediterrenean Cities. If interested I know of a couple of teams that rent N2-A6 Fiats, Citroens or Group N Evos/sti's with full service including recce car and complete logistics???
One of the teams is even based out of Antalya the city the rally is held at...

Oscar

·
Registered
859 Posts
Not sure about Mexico but most likely even the 206cup cars are running the WRC event. Usually WRC events give points to the National Championship but are not seperate events like held in the US.

Oscar

1 - 19 of 19 Posts