Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
No!... My left!
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Ah yes, it's as if it were just yesterday. It slowly became more like the Abbott and Costello, Who's on First.

·
your other left, you idiot
3,909 Posts
That was my start in rally (crewing with Dave Parps and Bruce Beauvais for a BMW 2002).

And - I fell in lust with a Lancia Stratos.

I still cringe every time I enter Dickinson County...

press on,

·
No!... My left!
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was very distinctive......

·
LSPR speccie/worker & YBJ fan
795 Posts
I still marvel that the little village of Felch has an infamous footnote in POR history...

·
1973 WRC POR
2,421 Posts
Well, I was there right in the middle of the mayhem and I never saw a thing! We were running a very lonely rally and the only car we ever saw on route was Brian Culcheth. The two of us were running a minute apart and comparing our times at the start of each stage. We had not done recce and had to rebuild our engine at the Toyota dealership overnight prior to the start. Nevertheless, we were having a nice little battle.

The main problem with the rally fiasco was that it was Hallowe'en night and kids and parents were out everywhere. The Italians (who were the main source of the problems) had no idea what Hallowe'en was and did not act appropriately. Two week earlier at the WRC Rally of the Rideau Lakes we had spent considerable time explaining to the European competitors the absolute requirement to drive slowly on transits, stop for school buses with flashing lights, etc. We even brought in the district head of the Ontario Provincial Police to talk to them in advance. We also had a police liaison officer (an active RCMP officer) who visited each police detachment on route (and remained in the office with them) as the rally traversed their juristiction. We had no problems.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts