Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I the only one that cannot watch the rally today? according to my dish comcast wants more money for OLN so dish took it of the air. Is this just in southern colorado? This sucks I was looking forward to watching the rally today.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Well I have been told bu DISH Network that they are under contract negotations since COMCAST is asking unreasonable demands for customers to pay more for this channel and so they are asking EchoStar to pay more.....so theya re working this out and this is not the first thime this happened but on another channel COMCAST asked for unreasonable demands I think on MTV and COMCAST knows how many viewers will be upset by this and pressured to not go up on their prices but do a gradual increase to EchoStar.

I guess we will miss the big water splash....ugh.

Denise McMahon

·
Registered
107 Posts
>
>
> Am I the only one that cannot watch the rally today?
>according to my dish comcast wants more money for OLN so dish
>took it of the air. Is this just in southern colorado? This
>sucks I was looking forward to watching the rally today.

Comcast has demanded that all carriers broadcast oln on their lowest tier of programming, or hit 40 %of their audience. (This usually ends up being the lowest programming tier). They have only demanded more money if a carrier chooses to ignore them and make a customer pay more $$$.

Any carrier who doesnt comply also loses some programming time.

Any carrier who says its costing them so much more is either a very tiny carrier with no bandwith (that adding a channel to basic packages would burden them with higher signal cost), or a greedy corporation.

OLN is part of my basic package.

Rally on!

·
I am not here anymore
2,798 Posts
>Well I have been told bu DISH Network that they are under
>contract negotations since COMCAST is asking unreasonable
>demands for customers to pay more for this channel and so they
>are asking EchoStar to pay more

This is DISH's standard response whenever they get into a disagreement with a content provider. Of course, if you ask the other side, they will say that DISH is being unreasonable.

Anyone remember the Speedvision/OLN/Outdoor Channel package that lasted for about one week before the provider pulled those channels because they said that DISH was not supposed to put them in a premium package? How about when channels from a provider started running crawling text on their channels in prime-time talking about about their disagreement with DISH and DISH put black bars up on those channels to cover the text?

Do DirecTV subscribers go through this nonsense?

For all of DISH's talk of keeping prices down, my annual subscription to AT120 is going from $380 (I think) to $420 this next year.

alan

·
Registered
107 Posts
>Do DirecTV subscribers go through this nonsense?
>
>alan
>

OLN is part of my basic package.

-darkknight9, DirecTV subscriber.
:D

·
I am not here anymore
2,798 Posts
>>Do DirecTV subscribers go through this nonsense?
>>
>>alan
>>
>
>OLN is part of my basic package.
>
>-darkknight9, DirecTV subscriber.

I was actually talking about the more general nonsense of the satellite service getting into a fight with a content provider and trying to drag their customers into the fight. Does DirecTV ever pull stunts like this?

alan

·
Registered
239 Posts
I do find it humorous that Comcast, who owns OLN, is complaining that Dish has OLN on a higher priced tier.

How many times has Comcast screwed over viewers by moving stations to higher and higher priced packages?

Pot, here's the Kettle....

·
Registered
79 Posts
The speedvision debacle with dish was the straw that made me toss my dish reciever in the trash and pick up a directv... havn't looked back in... has it really been 6 years?

·
Registered
103 Posts
>>Do DirecTV subscribers go through this nonsense?
>>
>>alan
>>
>
>OLN is part of my basic package.
>
>-darkknight9, DirecTV subscriber.
>:D

DirecTV...OLN: Yes. The Outdoor Channel: No. I pay extra for that.

Happy Motoring

·
Mä meen vittu sinne!
6,058 Posts
Think from this point of view. You have a very niche channel (such as OLN and Speed) that a very small proportion of your viewers watch. The provider of these channels (who happens to be your main competitor) decides you have to include these channels in your lowest tier of programming. Now you have the option to either increase the lowest tier rate, remove channels which have higher viewership, or eat the cost. The lowest tier has very low margin to begin. Most money is made on the premium packages and premium movie channels. Comcast pushes this because they want to increase the cost of Dish to keep more customers for cable. Direct TV just knows that with their falling number of subscribers they can't do anything. Dish Network is willing to fight being bullied at the expense of losing a few customers. This benefits both satellite providers. The greedy corporation would probably be Comcast in this dispute. Isn't there some nonsense going on with the NHL games too on OLN right now because of something similar?

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I'm having fun reading everyone's comments. Why? Because back in the late seventies when all this cable TV stuff started (before direct satellite stuff) the cable companies were telling us because we would be paying for cable there would be no commercials.

And, now there is music downloading by subscription, satellite radio, on and on and on. Do you have commercials on satellite radio? If not.... I bet you will.

·
Mä meen vittu sinne!
6,058 Posts
Typical tech junky monthly bill:
Satellite TV: $80
TIVO Service: $15
High Speed Internet: $40
Satellite Radio: $12
Netflix DVD Service: $20
Gamefly Video game: $25
Cellular Phone: $60
etc. It's becoming expensive to be a nerd these days. I've had most of these at some point in time and decided that none of them are worth it.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
>It's becoming expensive to be a nerd these days. I've
>had most of these at some point in time and decided that none
>of them are worth it.

I think I have figured out why some people are fascinated with ham radios. After the initial purchase of equipment, usage is free!

·
don't cut
4,073 Posts
>>It's becoming expensive to be a nerd these days. I've
>>had most of these at some point in time and decided that
>none
>>of them are worth it.
>
>
>I think I have figured out why some people are fascinated with
>ham radios. After the initial purchase of equipment, usage is
>free!
>
>
But the content is self generated. And most hams are windbags with nothing to say. :7
Richard "I are one too" KD5PXM

·
Four tree two remember Andrew
1,629 Posts
>But the content is self generated. And most hams are windbags
>with nothing to say. :7
>Richard "I are one too" KD5PXM

Kind of sounds like the internet to me.

Wilson
KG4RWK

·
don't cut
4,073 Posts
>
>>But the content is self generated. And most hams are
>windbags
>>with nothing to say. :7
>>Richard "I are one too" KD5PXM
>
>Kind of sounds like the internet to me.
>
>Wilson
>KG4RWK
That too. But I never talk on the internet. :+

·
Registered
79 Posts
>>
>>>But the content is self generated. And most hams are
>>windbags
>>>with nothing to say. :7
>>>Richard "I are one too" KD5PXM
>>
>>Kind of sounds like the internet to me.
>>
>>Wilson
>>KG4RWK
>That too. But I never talk on the internet. :+

OOookkkk....
(looks around at Richard's posts on this INTERNET forum..)

KD5LTC

1 - 18 of 18 Posts