Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Just wondering what everyone does with all their old route books, stage notes & paces notes, event bulletins & entry lists etc.? Do you keep them all / chuck them all / keep only the last year's info to refer to?

I have been keeping all of mine thus far, but after 8 years or so (probably somewhere around 40 - 50 events), that's a lot of stuff & associated space it takes up. I'm tempted to chuck it all, since though I could pack it all into a bunch of crates & try and find space for it in the garage, I'm not sure I'd ever refer back to them, and I'm actually trying to declutter my life at the moment.

On a similar note, do you all keep all your trophies? That's also a bunch of stuff and associated space. Though I do appreciate the effort and expense the organizers go to producing the trophies, I'm strongly considering throwing nearly all of mine out, and keeping just a select few that have significance or personal meaning to me. It's not that I don't appreciate the trophies, it's just that it's more the shared friendships, experiences, adventures, and the actual results (which can be stored & archived electronically), rather than the trophies themselves, which are meaningful to me.

·
Registered
99 Posts
If you are looking to get rid of old books, I wouldn't mind taking a few.

In reference to trophies, contact a local charity or thrift shop. Were in the process of getting rid of our old trophies from car shows and one of my friends had mentioned that he had donated them to like a Boy Scouts club or something and then they could remove the tag that said your name or what on them and the used them for their soapbox derby cars, etc.

·
So long & thx for all the fish
362 Posts
I keep all the books on a bookshelf in the garage. I started electronically archiving supps/bulletins/results about 2 years ago. I just pitch all the paper copies. Since most of the trophies are plaques they're out of the way, but when I was a youngin' and trophies were taking over my life I found that just about any trophy shop will be happy to take them off your hands and recycle the parts they can use.

·
rsq41
20 Posts
I wanted to archive electronically but the route books are way too much. For now I'm keeping any supps and bulletins I've gotten my hands on. As for the route books, now I'm starting to take the covers off and a few interesting pages out for the memories and sending the rest to recycling... :mad:

·
Registered
315 Posts
Route books are kept for events where we wrote our own pacenotes. They're useful in future years where we have to piece together our notes. For events where we didn't write our own notes, I'll keep maps and detailed stage schedules, but the rest of the book goes in the recycling.

All other paperwork is tossed, although I have a habit of hanging on to time cards that weren't collected by sweep when we DNFed.

Anything electronic is saved.

I keep a very small number of trophies. Most go in the trash although I'll probably recycle them from now on. It never occurred to me that thrift stores/boy scouts/trophy shops would take them.

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For route books, it would be nice if the organizers provided an electronic copy, so we could recycle the paper version, but still have an electronic copy for archiving and reminiscing, but I can understand them not wanting to do so for liability reasons.

For stage notes & pace notes, those are obviously very individual to the team, and I don't really see a practical way of doing this other than keeping the actual notes themselves. It would take a while to do a color scan (so you can capture all the highlighting etc.) of the all the notes, which can sometimes run into a couple hundred pages.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I save them all, for some reason. I really haven't figured out why either, but figure like 40 years from now a LSPR 06 route book may be interesting.

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So, should we do Kindle, iPad, or Nook for NNR next year?
^^^ None of the above, Android tablet :D

I save them all, for some reason. I really haven't figured out why either, but figure like 40 years from now a LSPR 06 route book may be interesting.
That's kinda my point. I don't wanna end up schlepping several plastic crates worth of notes all over the earth for 40 years, just on the off chance I may wanna look at them again someday.

·
Itinerant Co-Driver
581 Posts
Hi all,

Just wondering what everyone does with all their old route books, stage notes & paces notes, event bulletins & entry lists etc.? Do you keep them all / chuck them all / keep only the last year's info to refer to?
I keep 'em all. I've got a filing cabinet in the basement with a hanging folder for every event.

Some rallies don't publish a whole lot of information online before the event. When a rally's online schedule just lists total stage and transit mileage between services, the previous year's route book can often be enough to let you figure out what order the stages are running in the current year, which can be useful for planning.

Also, I've sat in on more than a few conversations about potential stage roads that end up with people saying things like "what about that stage that was used in the _____ rally before it moved/was cancelled/etc.? It's gotta be around here somewhere - maybe we could use that." I'm hoping in a decade or two, one of those old route books might come in handy.

·
Itinerant Co-Driver
581 Posts
That's kinda my point. I don't wanna end up schlepping several plastic crates worth of notes all over the earth for 40 years, just on the off chance I may wanna look at them again someday.
I decided to deal with that problem by resolving never to move again. :D

·
straight at T
2,472 Posts
I keep 'em all. I've got a filing cabinet in the basement with a hanging folder for every event.

Some rallies don't publish a whole lot of information online before the event. When a rally's online schedule just lists total stage and transit mileage between services, the previous year's route book can often be enough to let you figure out what order the stages are running in the current year, which can be useful for planning.

Also, I've sat in on more than a few conversations about potential stage roads that end up with people saying things like "what about that stage that was used in the _____ rally before it moved/was cancelled/etc.? It's gotta be around here somewhere - maybe we could use that." I'm hoping in a decade or two, one of those old route books might come in handy.
I have a full filing cabinet with stacks on top of it...

And yes, very occasionally, an old route book comes in handy when planning the route for a rally (Tall Pines, when we went back onto the northern roads a few years ago).

Otherwise they just take up space.

Adrian

·
So long & thx for all the fish
362 Posts
I just had an idea! (shocking, I know) Nobody wants to spend the time scanning all the pages of a routebook/documentation. Nobody but a six-year-old, that is. I've already convinced my son that picking up dog poop is fun, imagine how fun using the computer and scanner will be. The best part is he works for Legos, what a deal! PM me to work out the details :p

Jonathan

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
I've kept everything, chronologically (in other words, piled in a box after each event). The current Sandblast was revived because I still had the original route book and was asked for it when Charles decided to revive it. When I get to be 80 years old, it will be interesting to be able to go back and revisit some of this stuff (he says).

·
'is the engine bogging?'
429 Posts
I've got routebooks placed in careful archeological layers since the 80's in my apartment; in other words, stacks and stacks that *SOMEDAY* I'm gonna go through and sort/read/laugh about. I mark up my books a LOT, so most are not scan-worthy, but I keep them ALL. Woohoo.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Rob,

They could be very scan worthy because you mark them up, considering whom you've sat with! You'll have to give us the key to the shorthand for "brace for impact".

·
'is the engine bogging?'
429 Posts
Rob,

They could be very scan worthy because you mark them up, considering whom you've sat with! You'll have to give us the key to the shorthand for "brace for impact".
It's alway unexpected, and time seems to slow down when it happens, so my mental picture is always "be veddy veddy qwiet" as it seems like ages before the actual impact...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts