>
>>
>>Anyone who ran Cooper Weathermasters in the old days will
>
>
>
>At one point, someone (I don't remember who, but Eric Jones,
>maybe, it sounds like something he might do) carefully cut
>apart the Cooper tire decals and was running Copper Tires.
>
>And someone (Jones again maybe?) at one point was running
>Pooper Tires.
>
>Bob Edds was not amused.
>
>I don't know if I have this on film, but I'll keep an eye
>out for it.

And of course, let us not forget those brave individuals whose names were emblazoned on the doors of those green Datsuns...Rex Karrs, Mogen David, U.G. Rection...(yes, I fell for it at the '75 POR, in the parking lot of the multi-level Sands Speedway first stage)...

And for all those real old timers out there, extraspecial bonus points if you can reel off the license numbers of Eric's rally car and service vehicle from those daze...

·
just another old phart
2,258 Posts
He still has the plates in his name: TRUCK on his Suburban and DATSUN but it's on some other furrin thang. Another one of his navvie's names from those days: TERRY FIDE

And wasn't Sands Speedway a cool thing, an oval track built on a hilside so that it had a climbing turn and a diving turn with the back straight significantly lower than the front straight. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it. I remember watching from the upper straightaway outside wall with Guy Light coming by at full speed within literally a couple of inches of the wall and getting covered with the dust and dirt he stirred up.

Kent Gardam

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
>And for all those real old timers out there, extraspecial
>bonus points if you can reel off the license numbers of
>Eric's rally car and service vehicle from those daze...

Those are too easy.

I know the one he kept threatening to apply for which he seemed to think he could get by BMV: 4 NICK 8. (Say it out loud... with a slight Southern Ohio twang.)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yes TRUCK is still on the Sub & Datsun gets switched from one Datsun to another. Rex Karrs & Terry Fide are now on Eric's rally MGB & his rally Cortina.

Chuck Ashton

·
Old Fart
560 Posts
>
>>And for all those real old timers out there, extraspecial
>>bonus points if you can reel off the license numbers of
>>Eric's rally car and service vehicle from those daze...
>
>
>
>Those are too easy.
>
>I know the one he kept threatening to apply for which he
>seemed to think he could get by BMV: 4 NICK 8. (Say it out
>loud... with a slight Southern Ohio twang.)

Another of the old Columbus Rally Club crew, Al Mandel (AKA Frodo Baggins)briefly had Ohio Plate PHUQUE until he was followed by a BMV staffer one day and the plate recalled.

Paul Jaeger
PRIMO Stage Crews
For a Good Time, Call PRIMO!

·
1973 WRC POR
2,421 Posts
>>Doug, just a question...Where exactly did the rally run out
>>to? I think it started in Smith falls, ya? so where did it
>>go?
>
>The '74 Rideau Lakes (the World Championship round) went
>over as far as Bancroft (running stages that are now staples
>in the Tall Pines) and came back via Desert Lake (south of
>Sharbot Lake and spitting distance from my parent's
>cottage).
>
>Adrian

Adrian,

Thanks for answering for me. I am currently down in the Dominican Republic and managed to log onto the internet by the beach!

I am about to go golfing and then come back and down a few cold beers at the beach while I watch the scenery. Unfortunately, some of the women on the beach must be poor, because they seem to be able to afford only the bottom half of a bikini!

When I get back and have more time, I will write something about the 1973 Rideau Lakes and the rally route. The FIA Observer for WRC status was Bo Hellberg, who was then the SAAB competition manager. He and I spent an entire day together in the car as I showed him the rally route for 1973 and the roads we would use in 1974, if we achieved WRC status.

Doug Woods

·
3/14=my 42nd rally anniversary
3,979 Posts
>Unfortunately, some of the women on the beach must be poor,
>because they seem to be able to afford only the bottom half
>of a bikini!

Doug, you're collecting photographic evidence of these poor women's plight so we might review them and try to assist asap, right? It's the humanatarian thing to do, you know?

Halley ...
http://www.realautosport.com

·
just another old phart
2,258 Posts
I just recalled another Navvie's name that was rattling around in the back of my brain and finally fell out: Phil O'Dendron

Kent Gardam

·
Registered
286 Posts
Sands Speedway is still there, and still doing its Sunday afternoon thing...
It's a short track, I'm guessing 1/8 mi oval, but turns 1+2 are downhill and 3+4 are uphill -- it's gotta be 20 feet or better of a drop from the front to the back straight. And the grandstands just follow the contour of the hillside. I get the idea someone had some land they didn't quite know what to do with, until that drunken evening...

I went to the roundy-rounds there all the time. When they'd run Street Stock (run your street car, at your own risk), the heavy winner was an Olds Toronado...you could hear those front tires shrieking half a mile away...

Had a chance to drive there one time, but the weather didn't cooperate...

Ya shoulda seen the rally cars doin' their thing on timed laps around that mess...who was it that blew the motor there in '75, Harvey or Henderson? Can't quite recall...

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Another dozen or so new pictures are now available.

I have moved the pix from my corporate site to their own site.

Eventually, I'll get some search options on the site so you'll be able to see shots by driver or by event.

There's more than 60 pix on the site now, and the total will be more than a hundred when I finally get them all scanned and uploaded.

This new batch includes a BGDR retrospective, Bill Dodd, Scott Harvey, Jim Walker, Jim Beatty, John Buffum and some shots from 1974 Happiness Is Sunrise and the 1973 Rally of the Rideau Lakes.

Anyway, the new site is:

http://www.rallyalmanac.com

(I haven't spent a lot of time debugging the software, so if you encounter problems, let me know.)

Enjoy!

·
Old Fart
560 Posts
Eric, I have identified some of your newly posted photographs. I looked through my 1972 POR program and matched up car numbers. On BGDR, car 142 is Bill Braund and Rod Natho in a 1971 Toyota Corona, car 173 is Dale McAlister and Joe Le Beau in a Dart Performance 72 Subaru, and i think the last car is a Saab 99. The only Sabb 99 in the rally was David Birdsall & John Crawford in #161 Saab 99. I think I might have even been taking pictures at this corner also in 1972.

The Corvair on Beele Isle is also from 1972. It is Dean Walker and Jerry Rosegger of Cleveland in a Yenko Corvair. The pictures of Bill Doadd and Jim Beatty were also from 1972.

Paul Jaeger
PRIMO Stage Crews
For a Good Time, Call PRIMO!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
>Eric, I have identified some of your newly posted
>photographs. I looked through my 1972 POR program and
>matched up car numbers. On BGDR, car 142 is Bill Braund and
>Rod Natho in a 1971 Toyota Corona, car 173 is Dale McAlister
>and Joe Le Beau in a Dart Performance 72 Subaru, and i think
>the last car is a Saab 99. The only Sabb 99 in the rally
>was David Birdsall & John Crawford in #161 Saab 99. I think
>I might have even been taking pictures at this corner also
>in 1972.
>

Thanks, Paul. I've made the changes and they'll appear the next time I upload a new copy of the database, probably within the next couple of days. Hang on to that entry list, I think there are a bunch of negs from that POR. I'm having some problems that negs are in the wrong sleeves and are not what they say they are.

I recognized the Beatty car, Mike Creech bought it and we ran it in at least one event -- my recollection is that it was the spookiest car I ever codrove in. It had lots of horsepower, and no cornering ability. At least that's the way I remember it.

·
Registered
286 Posts
http://www.rallyalmanac.com/images/unknown30.jpg

Oh my sweet bleedin' jeebus...IT'S THE SUPER TRUCK!!!!!

How well I remember this effort...driver Bernie Pizarro was a college student here at UD, with more money and enthusiasm than common
sense...he was a transfer student from South America, and for some reason seemed to have money dribbling out of his shoes. He showed
up at a National Sports Cars Club of Dayton meeting one time, and without very much ado at all, was shanghaied into being the service
vehicle for Nick Folger's 510 at a Tulip 200 -- in this truck!
The year this photo was taken, Bernie and navigator Doug McCabe were doing sorta pretty good, until up in the mountains, Bernie tried
a little ditch-hooking to snap himself around a bend. Trouble was, the ditch was actually the side of the mountain, and the truck just kinda
bogged itself to a stop on the edge of the road, balanced on the crossmembers...until the edge gave way, and over our heroes went. The
truck ended on its side about 70 feet down the hill. The tree that stopped it was the only one big enough to do so for another hundred feet down...as I recall, that night sweep at least was able to get the truck back on its wheels...
The next day, we all went back to retrieve the truck. A local wrecker pulled it up the hill. We took jack handles and pried the front
fenders from where they lapped over the hood, popped the hood, and dumped a gallon or so of oil in. Bernie crossed his fingers and
twisted the key -- and she came back to life. Wasn't a straight piece of sheet metal left, but it ran.
The truck made it into town, where it went up on the lift at the gas station. Seems as the suspension was still adequate, but the rear
driveshaft was bent badly. There were some hasty discussions as the engine oil got changed -- seems as if it spent the night nose down on
that very steep hill, and a large quantity of crankcase contents was actually gasoline...but eventually, we got it all squared away for the trip to Dayton by pulling the rear driveshaft, sticking the transfer case in 4wdHI, and locking the front hubs. It were well and truly ingenious...
Why do I keep saying 'we'? Because I was there, driving Bernie's black market Canadian-temporary-transit-tagged Euro-spec Land
Rover as the service vehicle. I'll never forget the sight as we headed for home -- the truck crumpled beyond belief, one headlight pointing
toward Arcturus and one driving light aimed about ten feet ahead of the truck, no glass anywhere, Bernie with his full-face helmet and an
old sweater wrapped and stuffed around his neck as a scarf, no gloves, tooling back to town on US35...seemed to take us forever, but
she did get home...

I have to go and check with a few people to see if they have any pictures of the truck running the '80 Sunriser...yes, its first pro rally was 1980, if I recall right...and I hope I do...because that year, the co-driver was lil' ol' me...yep...you're looking at a picture of the kid's first performance rally ride...if I ever start drinking again, y'all can buy me a pitcher and I'll tell you a tale or two...or three..or four...

And by the way...the sticks and limbs hanging from the tree on the right are familiar...Crashton? Got any shots of the Super Truck? That's the same corner you so adroitly pirouetted out of Bruno's way...got any shots of The Truck from '80? (IhopeIhopeIhopeIhope, becuz I ain't got none...)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
I posted some more pix tonight. We're up to 72 now, not counting the documents.

Kent take a look at the one headlined "a green Datsun." Is that you? It reminds me of Smiskol's 510...

Doug, there's a Walter picture (I believe) from what I think is the 1973 POR.

Enjoy.

·
just another old phart
2,258 Posts
Nope, sorry, I didn't have those stripes. But I've seen that car before. Maybe in the middle of the night I'll wake up and remember it.

Kent Gardam

·
1973 WRC POR
2,421 Posts
>Doug, there's a Walter picture (I believe) from what I think
>is the 1973 POR.

Eric:

You are correct - Walter Boyce and I on the 1973 POR.

Doug Woods

·
Registered
286 Posts
All the pictures referenced below -- start here:
http://www.rallyalmanac.com/itemlist.asp?sqltype=front&pagestyle=default1&curpage=1

1981 Sunriser 400 Results http://www.rallyracingnews.com/scca/rally/sun81.html

A Different Datsun
Why does the name 'Mark' come to mind when I see this car? Wasn't it blue, with yellow stripes etc? An ex-Millen machine? The '81 Sunriser results show car 6 as Jon Woodner/Ginny Reese in a 510...

A Green 510 At Speed
Brian Rebney? Wasn't this thing on the cover of the Cooper Tire rallying handout? Can't be 81, according to the results...

See The Cloud Of Dust?
Yeah, it were dusty all right...especially if the vehicle ahead of you was big enough that you could park in the bed...according to the results, this is James Slivka and James Strunk...they were #35, the Super Truck ("A Full-Size Pickup On A Stage Event) was #34, and that was early enough that I don't think they'd have caught Bernie yet...

Brian Culcheth's Austin Being Serviced
Yep. '74 POR, in the parking lot of the Marquette Mall (I patronized the VW dealership across US41 in the background).

A Volvo At Speed
Again, names/cars/numbers don't match with the results above.

Jean Rizor Co-Drives A Volvo
The results don't list Jean as being entered. Car 7 that year was suppposedly Wayne and Debra Baldwin in a Volvo GLT

You sure these pix are '81? Things don't match up...the '80 results aren't on the web...anyone got the '80 results to check car numbers etc?

Scott Harvey Leaves The Start Control
Ahhh, The Rhino...truly a testosterone-enhancing vehicle...I remember it rather well...

A BMW 2000 At Speed
As posted earlier in this thread, I have the shortwave radio out of this car...

Jean-Paul Perusse at the 1981 Sunriser
Okay, this one matches...

Eric Jones at the 1981 Sunriser
Another match...

John Woolf & Grant Whittaker get some help
A 911 likes oversteer (Bruno Kreibich)
Two matches in the '81 results

Eric Jones leaving Houghton MTC
POR, not sure if it's '74 or '75...

John and Vicki at speed
I do hope John was in a slide, because otherwise he's about to get up close and personal with that post...

·
Left seat and not British!
785 Posts
The 510 you think might be Hendrik Blok is actually me...who else would have a 510 Tigger looking like a Mexican Taxicab?

"A Datsun 510 powers through Sunriser". And 'powers' was a term I wouldn't probably use! But I've got two in the garage and if I can ever get enough time away from Co-Driving for some wild-assed kid in a 350hp EVO and putting on Club Rallies, by dad gummit I'll get one of them running!

Thanks for the pic...I'm honored!

Kim DeMotte
Official Old Fart, etc.

·
Registered
286 Posts
>The 510 you think might be Hendrik Blok is actually me...who
>else would have a 510 Tigger looking like a Mexican Taxicab?

>Kim DeMotte
>Official Old Fart, etc.

Okay...now we're getting somewhere. Kim, what year was this? The car numbers/cars/people don't match the results for Sunriser 81 or later years. Earlier? Maybe a Tulip 200 in that period? I do recall it was run as a National a year or three...and it was real popular as a divisional to warm up for Sunriser...

41 - 60 of 85 Posts