Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.rallyalmanac.com

Some new "old" pics on the site tonight. A couple of Capris, a Saab, a 'Vette and a Mustang. Most are from the 1974 Marathon 400 spectator stage, which was a mud bath.

There's a bunch of unidentified folks as well.

Perhaps the rarest is a shot of Dick Paddock in his AMC Gremlin. As you may remember, Paddock was the long-time chairman for the Sunriser 400. He didn't do a lot of stage events, but was (and still is) active in TSD events in Central Ohio.

As time permits, there's more on the way... but enjoy.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just as a point of interest, from the rallyalmanac.com weblogs, here's a breakdown of the Top 40 (or so) most requested pages/vehicles/drivers since January.

The first two lancias maybe confusing. One is a search for the car name, the other is a look at the picture of Lampinen and Davenport on the 1974 POR. Lancia4 is the Stratos sideways at Rideau Lakes.

Make of this list what you will...

Datsun 217
lancia 145
Lancia 144
POR 134
por11 133
lancia4 129
lancia1 125
unknown17 123
millen2 122
boyce2 121
millen1 119
buffum3 117
unknown30 117
unknown36 114
Unknown 114
unknown45 113
por24 113
Volvo 112
John Buffum 111
unknown28 110
por13 110
unknown2 107
buffum 105
lancia3 104
por14 102
unknown41 97
buffum4 97
datsun 96
fiats 96
unknown27 95
woolf1 94
unknown29 94
unknown16 94
por2 92
unknown25 92
ericjones1 91
unknown24 89
unknown20 88
bgdr2 88
boyce4 88
freeborough 85
perusse2 85
cowan1 84
unknown47 84
unknown39 82
boyce3 81
culcheth 81
eaton1 81
harvey5 80
vws 80
guylight1 80

·
Registered
25 Posts
Eric,

Thanks for posting those new pictures. Nice shot of Bill Dodd. I sure miss him. That one of Dickie is a hoot, white walls & a roof rack. Do you get the photo credit for the new pictures? It looks like that film was pushed a stop or two. Nice work Eric.

Chuck Ashton

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
>Eric,
>
>Thanks for posting those new pictures. Nice shot of Bill
>Dodd. I sure miss him. That one of Dickie is a hoot, white
>walls & a roof rack. Do you get the photo credit for the new
>pictures? It looks like that film was pushed a stop or two.
>Nice work Eric.
>
>Chuck Ashton

I'm not 100 percent certain who shot what. I know the negs were never sharp enough for magazine work so they weren't printed. In looking at the negs, I remember the stage as being cold, muddy and really sloppy. I think it rained for a good part of the stage, and I vaguely remember everyone bitching about having to run the stage because there were no spectators, and it seemed likely that cars were going to get stuck in the goo. Normal, sane people were home in bed they weren't out spectating on a wet, cold Sunday morning.

The close-in shots aren't mine, I remember not wanting to get that muddy. They may have been my brother or Joe Maugens. I'm pretty sure that's Joe in the Paddock picture walking toward the car. Undoubtedly he figured that Dick wasn't doing anything interesting enough so he was walking out to help him. Joe did stuff like that.

Did you ever see the Gremlin at the end of its life? One huge stress crack from one end to the other. It's pretty bad when the body is cracking. Ninety percent of that car's weight was on the front wheels, 100 percent of the power was on the rear wheels, which made for interesting driving.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yes I saw the Gremlin when way past it's prime. Dick re-shelled the car with a AMC Spirit body. I only remember him running a couple of rallies with the Spirit. What really amazed me about Dick was how he could throw that full sized Cherokee around. That's what he was running ORC with after the Spirit.

Chuck Ashton

·
Registered
4 Posts
Eric,
I believe the " unknown mustang " to be the Downhill Racing GT 350
of Loyal Jodar and Jon Wickins. They raced the Shelby Mustang from
73 to 76 then changed to the all wheel drive Capri.

·
Registered
286 Posts
>Yes I saw the Gremlin when way past it's prime. Dick
>re-shelled the car with a AMC Spirit body. I only remember
>him running a couple of rallies with the Spirit. What really
>amazed me about Dick was how he could throw that full sized
>Cherokee around. That's what he was running ORC with after
>the Spirit.
>
>Chuck Ashton

Of course there's always the story of the day Nick Folger and I were in Nick's 510, Dick was in his Cherokee, we were all at a rallysomethingorother down Chillicothe way in the early 80's, and we passed Dick...while he was towing us...:eek:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Yep, back quarter of that Shelby Mustang says "Downhill Racing", which was Loyal's team name.

I think car #133 and #113 (Capris) are both Bill Dodd, Eric. Same paint, same driving lights, same blacked out hood, same tone of paint, tweaked front bumper, same decals on front fenders. Maybe they are two different events? Or he lost a number and had to change to 113 from 133? It looks like a different event because there's a huge Cooper decal on the hind in the 133 shot, but not on the other side of the 113 shot.

Thanks for the pics!!!

Norm

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
>I think car #133 and #113 (Capris) are both Bill Dodd, Eric.
>Same paint, same driving lights, same blacked out hood, same
>tone of paint, tweaked front bumper, same decals on front
>fenders. Maybe they are two different events?

Both negatives were in the same envelope marked 74 Marathon which caused me to think they were two different cars. But I think you're right, they are both Dodd but on different events.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
www.rallyalmanac.com

A couple more new pix are up this afternoon. What I think to be Erhard Dahm on the 1972 POR. (I think it's Dahm and not Gene because there's a Datsun immediately in front and immediately behind on the negatives. If he were running third on the road and this was the last day, that would be right if I remember my results correctly.)

Darryl Holder tackling BGDR in an MG, the Urban/Kane Saab at '74 Rideau Lakes, one of the Pacesetter Datsuns on POR and an unknown Mercedes sedan on Rideau Lakes.

I also updated the Mustang description to show it as being Loyal Jodar. I'm still trying to figure out how I have a picture of Bill Dodd with two different car numbers on what appears to be the same event.

Enjoy.

·
3/14=my 42nd rally anniversary
3,979 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts