Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First this quote from the SS feature. "Ramana Lagemann and Michael Kidd,recovered from their hair-raising "visit to the edge" in yesterday's test". Then the article in Autoweek which says nothng but shows a picture on the contents page of (what looks like his car) with the front hanging off the mountain and 6 people around the back of the car. Let's have a full report from someone that knows

}>

·
Registered
1,098 Posts

·
3/14=my 42nd rally anniversary
3,979 Posts

·
Flat over crest
303 Posts
Can someone explain why the driver's name is above the navigator's name on the navigator's side of the car? Or is this more "local" homologation at work?

Scott
www.teamharco.com
Team Harco Motorsports
"Win on Sunday, Sleep on Monday"

·
Straight At "T"
297 Posts
What I heard was that Ramana's car was pushing a bit in the corners, and the techs adjusted the front compression settings and also put a cut in the front tires to compensate. Apparently that cured the understeer, perhaps a bit too much of a cure in fact, and possibly caught him a little by surprise! That's not official of course, just what I'd heard.

-Doug

·
Registered
115 Posts
>I received this via email - ain't saying from whom (anyone
>who cares to may fess up), there were no accompanying
>instructions/restrictions and there's no photo credit info
>(anyone who cares to may fess up), so I present it here
>without further comment:

Mike, that's the same series that I posted the link for above.

I've seen the pictures posted a couple of times now, and nobody has yet taken credit... I even looked on the discussion boards at www.corner-carvers.com.

·
Registered
452 Posts
got great video of the aftermath!
i was atop the next hairpin section when i heard a "ooooooooooooooooohhhhhhh" from the crowd...

so i ran down and filmed the aftermath...
pretty horriffic really... scared the hell outta me and i was nowhere near the car :D kudos to Ramana tho as he got it off the cliff then took off towards the top as if nothing had happened... :D
Jamie
www.subiegalracing.com
www.subiegal.com

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Interesting article in new Autoweek BWTM. There were Subaru PR types right there who came down to help stabilize the car till the tow truck arrived. One was the person that sign the checks for this effort! :D

·
Registered
245 Posts
A likely caption for this sequence of photos...

"Ramana was rather unhappy with the choice of tires and decided to abort his run part way up the hill, and return directly to his service area. However, upon seeing the steepness of the incline he realised perhaps he shouldn't take the most direct route. Both crew and onlooking Subaru officials thanked him" }>

ok, so I have too much time on my hands to come up with this stuff...:+ :+

-Nick

·
Registered
38 Posts
Here's the story...

Actually, Doug got it pretty much spot-on. Prior to the beginning of that particular run, we were told be the organizers that it would be our final one. (Previously, we were told we might get up to five runs, but in the end they limited us to three)

I had asked for a revised cut in the tires because we were getting heavy understeer in low speed corners. Since it was our last run, we decided to make some changes to the supension as well. As you can see, turn-in response was dramatically improved!

The particular turn where we had our moment was the first real turn after the start of the section. Obviously the handling caught me a bit off guard... The scariest moment was when my co-driver bailed out (I can't fault him for that) and the car began teetering back and forth. I was about to undo my belts, but I thought it might be better to tighten them up instead!

Within half a minute, a few spectators and photographers grabbed ahold of the car and steadied it enough for me to get out. I think the guys hanging on tightest were Jeff and Rob from SOA. The PPIHC safety crew responded almost immediately, pulling the car back onto the road, after which we got in and continued up the course.

Anyway, the road and competition were fantastic. Hopefully next year it will be run in conjunction with a rally, making it feasable for more people to attend. It is a course every rally driver should contest at least once...

Ramana

1 - 18 of 18 Posts