Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Adventurist.Life
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe you've heard about it, maybe you haven't.
Maybe it sounds vaguely interesting, maybe it sounds like another fad.

Either way, I've been using Twitter for about three or four months, now. As a result, I have been exposed a number of new ideas and information in a variety of fields. I've had people begin to follow the updates I post, which have included pictures taken live at the Prescott Rally this past October, updates on the repairs to my would-be rally car after some choad made a left turn across my lane earlier this year, resulting in the car being totaled out, and even my new blog posts. I've even had founders of companies whose products I use see that I'm expressing frustration at figuring out their product and directly contact me to offer assistance. It's been a win-win situation for me.

A while back, I found the following rally people on Twitter:
- Eli Gilbert
- Mike Malsed
- Dirty Impreza Rally Team (DIRT)
- 409 Industries (aka: DirtyImpretzel.com)

I was excited at the thought of being able to keep up with these guys via Twitter, but Mike's been the only one remotely active in almost two months. Now, having used Twitter daily for the last few months, I've begun to see some potential for its use in helping people here to promote their rally endeavors. I feel it's a very simple tool for possibly developing a viral marketing campaign for anyone who wishes to make use of it.

There's more to it than this, but I thought I would mention it here. I've got some more in-depth thoughts on the subject on my site for those that are interested. It's something I feel could really be used to help the rally community out.

·
all of the sudden, up was down
805 Posts
We've been testing twitter to use as a "live" event play-by-play. I used it at the wild west rally recently when I co-drove for Jay Woodward. Tying it to our blog site sounds like a great idea and posting more is definitely a great idea. Thanks for the great ideas!

http://twitter.com/demonrally

·
Mä meen vittu sinne!
6,058 Posts
We used it at Rally Colorado, posting live updates directly to nocoastmotorsports.net
Lots of family and friends monitoring it. Left it with Mark our service guy and he went around talking to other teams and posting other updates.
We'll be using it in India as well, directly to teamzusa.com starting on Christmas and ending when we finish the race on January 15th.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
It's easier to use when someone else on the team is doing the updating for you.. "post this on twitter for us while we're out..."

·
Adventurist.Life
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome, guys. I'm following DemonRally now. Found CRC, but while we're on the subject, is anyone else here using Twitter? What do you go by? I tried to find nocoast, but failed miserably. :p

I am @DR1665, FYI

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I'm jay1441 on there, but haven't started putting rally updates there. It does seem like a good idea but probably requires somebody on the team or crew to have a fancy phone, right?

·
Premium Member
1,818 Posts
Mark and I use twitter for our rally updates. We tested it out this past year at RWV. We are planning on sending in updates this next weekend for Rallye de Paris. We have our website (www.huebberally.com) hook into the twitter account (twitter.com/rallybug)) to pull down the updates.

The only problem I see is with sending out updates from a cell phone with limited service at a rally. At RWV I had service for the first day, but the second day I couldn't send out text messages because the cell tower in the area was old and didn't accept data.

·
Mä meen vittu sinne!
6,058 Posts
granthughes
:)

I started researching into another service that would allow you to send picture messages and posted them into your twitter feed. Never got it to work though. Someday, someday.

·
Adventurist.Life
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Outstanding! Just added a lot more people to follow.

As fas as I know, you do need a web-enabled phone to post updates from the road, but pretty much any cell phone out there these days has the ability to send email, even if not browser-equipped. Odds are good that, if your phone takes pictures, it can email them somewhere. That's all it really takes sometimes.

I'm hooked on my Blackberry (which I bought used from a friend for $20). Even so, the methodology is fairly simple. At Prescott, I would snap the picture with the phone, "send as email" (to my TwitPic account), change the subject line from 1234.jpg to my tweet comment, and sent it. The system does the rest.

Reception does come into play, I'll agree, but while it's great to post updates from the event, posting updates on a regular basis will help grow the following. Posting regular updates that aren't banal - that other people might be interested in knowing about or are otherwise entertaining - promotes more people finding your tweets and following you.

Think of it this way: If you've got people following you on Twitter, you've got an audience. How can you keep that audience? How can you grow that audience?

If you end up wanting to tweet something while you're off the grid, take the pictures anyway upload them later. Then post a tweet linking to the entire collection or, better yet, a brief story about what happened that links to the photos.

For those interested in sponsorship (a touchy subject these days with the economy) wouldn't it be nice to be able to casually say something like, "Oh yeah, we're also on Twitter and have a few hundred people following us. We update them on progress on the car and happenings at the events." Potential sponsors could find you on the web and see how you roll. You're not just another gear head looking for a handout. You provide transparency which demonstrates your regular PR efforts, and I suspect that would look pretty good to someone considering sponsorship in some way.

If you've got a team site or any sort of web presence, just think of the SEO potential of using Twitter. I wrote my Twitter article 24 hours ago and shared it here. Do a Google search for "rally promotion" and you'll see that today it's one of the first ten links they show under the subject. You've just got to make sure that, with all the links to you and your story, you're not just making it a one-way street. You need to engage the people who follow you and keep an eye out for new people to follow. Remember, when someone you follow replies to you, everyone who follows them sees that reply.

Glad to see this thread get some traction. It's really good stuff.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Statement: You do NOT need a web-enabled phone to post twitter updates. You can send a text message to the twitter # and it'll post to your twitter page.

·
Premium Member
1,818 Posts
There is a web utility called SnapTweet that will post a message to your twitter page whenever you add a photo to your Flickr account using a certain tag, like "Rally". Then it doesn't make tons of posts when you update your day to day photos on Flickr. The only problem I've found is that your audience needs to understand that the link that gets posted is a photo and not some general web link to a site.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I got texts working today, that will be sweet for hte next rally.

Now just to set up the blogs to link to flickr.

·
DirtyImpreza.com
364 Posts
B-

We used twitter to update people that really wanted to be at Prescott but couldn't (including myself!) and it was a very cool tool for keeping everyone informed. Thanks Phil! We haven't used it recently because its been used almost exclusively for event related updates, not so much other information, as people can visit our website for that. You'll see updates coming through at the next rally ;)

I enjoyed using twitter, and look forward to using it again.

DirtyImpreza.com Rally Team (DIRT) - http://twitter.com/D_I_R_T

·
Registered
44 Posts
yeah we just twittered the FRX finals for Rally411 and it seemed to work well. Over at rocksliderally.com you can add pictures and video from your phone with a description. I hate to shamelessly advertise rocksliderally.com but its kinda what we have it for. Also if you are a member you get your own blog to keep people updated on what your up to. If we get more people posting on their blogs on rockslide the better. Its a good place to keep it centralized instead of twitter which is very general with millions of users. With rockslide you know its rally related atleast. If you guys are interested in doing more of blogging and twittering I would at least check it out, there is lots of features including RSS for your blog.

·
Adventurist.Life
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If we get more people posting on their blogs on rockslide the better. Its a good place to keep it centralized instead of twitter which is very general with millions of users. With rockslide you know its rally related atleast.
Well, talking SEO, that's not a bad idea... for rockslide. You want as many inbound links to your site as possible. Okay. So consider a hundred rallyistas blogging on rockslide. As they send out notices (could be tweets) to people, those are links that will be clicked-through to rockslide. Good for rockslide SEO.

Now, the rally-related comment is where the hang up is. "Preaching to the choir," anyone? Sure, there's a need to keep the community strong through regular updates that not everyone has lost their desire to press on or is otherwise unmotivated, so updating rally people about your rally goings on is a good idea, but it's like saying, "Let's post the same stories here on SpecialStage, then post them on Rockslide too." Well, if I can get the rally-related news here, and I've been coming here for years, now, why should I bookmark another site and go over there to see the same thing? See the point?

With any business, the two biggest keys to success, IMHO, are providing the utmost in service to your customers and differentiating yourself from the competition. So, marketing another rally site to people already entrenched in one rally site and offering them places to post blog articles when many of the teams already have their own sites puts you at a little bit of a disadvantage. SEO relies not only on the amount of inbound links to your site, but the quality of the location where the link was posted. If you enter into a link exchange with Ebay, where they link to your site and you link to theirs, who do you think sees more benefit?

Not saying any of this to diminish your site or what you do, but more to suggest that people looking to gain more publicity for rally, outside of mainstream media, should be considering sharing more about their rally addiction in real-time with people who are otherwise oblivious to the culture. There are people out there who might be more interested in the being outdoors aspects, the logistics and planning aspects, or even the artwork and media associated with the sport than actual rally events and it would be far more effective for you to share the diverse comments about all aspects of being involved in the sport with a diverse audience than continued preaching to the choir.

Just some thoughts. :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Not saying any of this to diminish your site or what you do, but more to suggest that people looking to gain more publicity for rally, outside of mainstream media, should be considering sharing more about their rally addiction in real-time with people who are otherwise oblivious to the culture. There are people out there who might be more interested in the being outdoors aspects, the logistics and planning aspects, or even the artwork and media associated with the sport than actual rally events and it would be far more effective for you to share the diverse comments about all aspects of being involved in the sport with a diverse audience than continued preaching to the choir.
That is more our goal anyway, but the reason for the post on here is well....this is a rally site. This isnt the only place I visit, but I personally like specialstage. I am not trying to be them by any means, Rockslide's blog feature is an alternative to Forums which I am not a big fan of. And as far as people who already have sites, well do you know all of em? Kinda hard to keep up with all the different teams especially when they are posting on their own sites. Rockslides main goal is really not the blogs or SEO's, its our media content. We love doing stuff for the rally community as far as media and are interested in the entertainment side(no we dont make any money) We noticed there is only forums out there. Not a good blog site for teams to post up what they are doing. If you want rally "news" by all means keep coming to specialstage I know I do. Although most of the news is not that interested all the time I try n keep up. But back to my point, the reason we have the blogs is so people can share what they are doing without having to use the forum format which isnt all that great for that type of thing. And if they have their own site, they can dual post and get more exposure.

I appreciate the thoughts.:D

·
N43 37.126' W-115 15.273'
1,284 Posts
hey guys,

I'm getting a twitter page for my site as well but I haven't been able to figure out how to get images to be embedded. Is that possible? So far just links to the pics show up.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts