Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just spoke with Doug Robinson, technical director for SCCA Performance Rally, regarding some of the new rules, and here is what he had to say.

The rule regarding the belt mounts is an error in printing. The rule should state that belts are to be mounted per manufacturer's instructions. I have Simpson belts, so I will go back and check their paperwork.

The spill kit will probably be available after May.

They will test catalytic converters with an infrared pyrometer to make sure they are functioning.

And the new rule book goes into effect on Feb. 25th.

Doug was very helpful and courteous, and gave me permission to post this info here.

Russ

·
Marketing through Motorsports
1,385 Posts
>Doug was very helpful and courteous, and gave me permission
>to post this info here.

The CRS's loss is the SCCA's gain. Glad to hear you had a positive experience. I'm sure glad that Doug and Sue are on board and responsive in Topeka.

[hr]

[p align=right]John Dillon
John @ WidgetRacing.com
www.WidgetRacing.com

·
I am not here anymore
2,798 Posts
Just want to add that I asked Doug a lot of questions about this belt thing as well as about some stuff about a rally car project that I am working on and he was exceedingly helpful.

alan

·
Registered
706 Posts
The new rule effective date is on the SCCA website, but none of the other items you mention are.

If it's a printing error, it would be nice to have a correction on the web site ASAP - especially since scca.org is supposed to be the "official" communications device with the club's members, not SpecialStage. Surely Doug must get sick of answering the same questions over and over?

Skye Poier
Seattle, WA

Vive le Prole-le-Ralliat!
Member, CCCP - Canuck Covertly Collecting Points
Member, Sierra Club - Ford, that is

·
Registered
186 Posts
Following is a shortened version of Kim Demotte's reply to my question about prep rules for 100 AW and Tres. Wil. coming up in Salem MO, end of Feb....

"2002 Rules. Yup. Would you please make sure that SS hears that? I know at least on CRNCer that is choosing not to come based on the expense he'll incur just passing tech. Now he's off the hook...

We have applied for a sanctioned exception that allows our safety and tech and course and chair people to be considered 'judges of fact' and that if and when we see a car with no brakes, he's probably NOT going back out on the course."

There you go. I've passed it on

·
don't cut
4,075 Posts
What! I can't run without brakes? The fastest stage I ever ran was with no brakes except for the handbrake. Takes all the fun out of rallying.:+
Richard Miller

·
Registered
186 Posts
I tried that once too, at Maine three years ago. Stone damage took out a brake line. Stage was OK, but coming down that hill on transit into town for service was interesting....to the T intersection with a lake on the other side. ...we did get it fixed and actually finished that year.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Brakes? We don' need no steeenkin' brakes!

At Wild West 2002, my brother at several points had no brakes. He burst a brake line, let all the fluid out to lay the dust for the guy behind him; came into service and lightly rammed the back of the service truck to stop (with a big silly grin on his face). Our guys fixed the line, poured more fluid in, and he was good to go until he broke the line again on stage and had to drive with no brakes. Then our guys fixed it again, and Mark drove with 3 brakes for all of the second day. It was great! :) Ol' Three Brakes is what we took to calling the car.

I can just imagine the conversations that went on in the car, as Mark tried to pilot the darn thing down some of those hills, sans brakes!

:) Kt

·
1,385 Posts
RE: Brakes? We don' need no steeenkin' brakes!

Geeze, I'm sensing a trend here. Your brother and I had the same thing happen at Prescott '99 ... entering the first corner at Limestone (spectators everywhere, doncha know) and nothing beneath the pedal but floorboard. Yee haw, and it's a turn-around stage so we travelled almost 30 miles in excitement mode. At least it didn't happen on First View!

>I can just imagine the conversations that went on in the
>car, as Mark tried to pilot the darn thing down some of
>those hills, sans brakes!

Watch the in-car--it's enlightening!

John

·
3/14=my 42nd rally anniversary
3,979 Posts

>I can just imagine the conversations that went on in the
>car, as Mark tried to pilot the darn thing down some of
>those hills, sans brakes!

What is it with Tabor-mobiles and brakes??? THE scariest stage I ran in the 90s was at Prescott '99 when we caught and finally passed that GTX running, as it was, with no brakes down Limestone Canyon. What that Mazda lacked in decelerative forces was more than made up with choking dust! I think even EMily cursed a time or two on that stage! :eek:

Halley ...
http://www.realautosport.com
}>

·
1,385 Posts

> What that Mazda lacked in
>decelerative forces was more than made up with choking dust!

Gee, Mike, how'd you think we slowed for corners?! Each dust particle was attached to the rear bumper like a parachute. Worked pretty good, too.... We made it all the way in and out again without squishing anything.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.