Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most importantly, thanks to all the workers who showed up. We promised you great spots for viewing, and I hope you agree that we delivered.

Second, thanks to all the competitors who came. I hope you enjoyed our fabulous roads. Most of them held up fantastically, so even the later cars had pretty good roads for the most part. I promised you a mixture of everything, and you got it! It was nice meeting a lot of new people, too.

The cloud cover made it darker a little earlier on Friday, where the night section was the longest, so we had a lot of great night racing that night. On Saturday, it was clear all day and night, so we had a lot of light until the very end. Wasn't the full moonrise over McKenzie Lake awesome on stage 8? Oh, I suppose you were looking at the road. By the way, that road used to skirt the lake even closer. When the lake level rose, it flooded the road, and the DNR just sent in a bulldozer to move it a few feet. That's why it's so gnarly; it just follows the path of least resistance to the bulldozer.

How'd you like SS 1 on Friday? Halverson Lake. We haven't used it in 10 years. It's always been one of my favorites. Impossible to find a rhythm. All the marbles on the surface made it a little tricky this year, but still great fun. We were required to run it before dark so as to not disturb the campers. Turns out all the campers were there to see the rally!

Sorry about the long waits at ATCs, MTCs and RGCs. Those are required by the new rules and there's little we can do about it.

Sorry to the spectators who got delayed by the road closed signs. They should have said, "Road closed except for spectators" or something. Thanks for behaving well at the spectator spots.

I think we represented ourselves well with the community. The homeowners who don't like having us around have little to complain about this year. Those few who misbehaved will be hearing from Mr. Coughnour. I think we proved that we can control our people, so for next year we shouldn't have to run those ridiculously low transit speeds. You know where I mean.

The only complaints I heard about our public behavior were in regards to the press and their driving habits.

As you all know by now, we are careful to keep our route a secret until the last minute. That's partly to keep the competition fair, and partly to keep people from sneaking into the woods where they're not allowed. Despite some pre-event concerns, I think everyone had enough time to make their preparations and get where they were going on time.

It was pretty dusty out there, but we were able to hold off adding dust time until service both nights. Adding a minute to a 55 car field gets the last car home 55 minutes later. If we do it before the last control crew has moved, it adds another 55 minutes to the entire field. So, I'm glad we were able to hold off until service, even though the longer stages were getting bad a little before that.

Our medical crews and procedures handled a difficult situation on Friday, and we're all really proud of the way they handled it. Mr. Adkins was well enough on Saturday to ask his crew if the car would be ready for the next event!

All in all, I'm very pleased with how things turned out. I hope you all come back next year. We'll come up with an entirely new route to keep it fresh, of course (only Stage 1 on Saturday has been used before on the 5 rallies I've rallymastered), but the roads will be as great as ever. We've even got some in reserve that we've never used before, and we will use them if the county can do a little work on them to get them ready for us.

See you next time.

Mark
Ojibwe Rallymaster

·
Marketing through Motorsports
1,385 Posts
And thank YOU, Mark, for all the work you and the organizing committee put in to make it happen.

>Most importantly, thanks to all the workers who showed up.

Agreed--we met friendly faces at every checkpoint, and even recognized a few from far-away places like Pooh Corner.

>We promised you great spots for viewing, and I hope you
>agree that we delivered.

We tried to give you the best show we could too!

>Second, thanks to all the competitors who came. I hope you
>enjoyed our fabulous roads. Most of them held up
>fantastically, so even the later cars had pretty good roads
>for the most part. I promised you a mixture of everything,
>and you got it! It was nice meeting a lot of new people,
>too.

Yep, loved them.

>The cloud cover made it darker a little earlier on Friday,
>where the night section was the longest, so we had a lot of
>great night racing that night. On Saturday, it was clear all
>day and night, so we had a lot of light until the very end.

>Wasn't the full moonrise over McKenzie Lake awesome on stage
>8? Oh, I suppose you were looking at the road.

Pretty, but unfortunately we had WAY too much time on our hands to enjoy the moon. Danged differential! (The two extra moons were payback to Dave Kean for Pike's Peak.)

>By the way,
>that road used to skirt the lake even closer. When the lake
>level rose, it flooded the road, and the DNR just sent in a
>bulldozer to move it a few feet. That's why it's so gnarly;
>it just follows the path of least resistance to the
>bulldozer.

Leon thought he was Aquaman for a moment, but fortunately turned into Superman and carried the car around the corner at one of the lakeside junctions.

>Sorry about the long waits at ATCs, MTCs and RGCs. Those
>are required by the new rules and there's little we can do
>about it.

Hey, for once I felt comfortable with the transits at Ojibwe. Yeah, we had about ten minutes waiting outside the control zone, but it was worth it to make sure people don't speed and to give people time to hustle through a tire change and still make their minute.

>Sorry to the spectators who got delayed by the road closed
>signs. They should have said, "Road closed except for
>spectators" or something. Thanks for behaving well at the
>spectator spots.

Sorry we frightened the spectators on the last stage Friday. I was sick for about a mile and half, and it just happened to be at a junction where we pointed the headlights the wrong way!

>As you all know by now, we are careful to keep our route a
>secret until the last minute. That's partly to keep the
>competition fair, and partly to keep people from sneaking
>into the woods where they're not allowed. Despite some
>pre-event concerns, I think everyone had enough time to make
>their preparations and get where they were going on time.

You gave us enough information to make our necessary preparations. We don't need to see the route, just the mileages and schedule. Thanks!

>See you next time.

Looking forward to it!

John

P.S. I'm in Dallas on business for a training class, and the example they keep invoking is "Mark Larsen". Any relation?!? :)
[hr]

[p align=right]John Dillon
John @ WidgetRacing.com
www.WidgetRacing.com

·
Registered
223 Posts
Yes, thanks for a good event! And a special thanks to the Ham radio operators who kept me from worrying when John and Leon didn't come back and to the sweeps who helped my crew and I get the boys out!
Live fast, drive faster!
http://www.rallyestar.com

·
Registered
36 Posts
As I said in the other thread, thank YOU for creating an event that was fun to volunteer for, and for making it easy for a rally newbie to learn the way things worked. And thanks to the competitors for a great show!

Which reminds me, I need to get my Ham license.

*rant beginning* At my marshal point on SS8 we sent away some drunk guys who claimed they were with the rally and started walking down the road planning to "scout" the area (no more than 5 minutes before the first car came!) Anyways we told them where they could go and that we had authority to keep them away, so they left (we thought) and a few minutes later we heard sticks breaking and such in the woods, but we thought it was just an animal as it wasn't frequent enough. Then not too long before the final few cars came, we see the same group of drunk guys walk out of the woods and come towards us. Me and my dad were PISSED and were about ready to just yell at them and tell them how stupid they were, but we just calmly asked them to leave for good. Nothing happened, but something could have, and it would have been nice to report that. *end of rant*

·
Registered
291 Posts
Great work on the event and keeping everything running smoothly.
Thanks to all the volunteers out there and Rally America for letting me tag along! ;)

Tina

·
Registered
272 Posts
Mark you put on a very smooth event, it ran essentially to time and used some great roads. I had a blast until the people in yellow got involved...

The thing that most impressed me was the efficiency you handled Fridays nights issues. The decisions on canceling stages and what to do with 40+ competitors who had not started SS6 was made quickly and communicated to the competitors, I've seen this take hours at other events.

Full marks the organizers and volunteers, this was probably the best run event I?ve been to this year, and I really liked the transit times. :)

As for John and Leons full moons, well lets just say they could do with a little time on the tanning bed...

Dave
www.davekean.com

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
>P.S. I'm in Dallas on business for a training class, and
>the example they keep invoking is "Mark Larsen". Any
>relation?!? :)

Look, I wasn't even there when it happened.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
>*rant beginning* At my marshal point on SS8 we sent away
>some drunk guys who claimed they were with the rally and
>started walking down the road planning to "scout" the area
>(no more than 5 minutes before the first car came!) Anyways
>we told them where they could go and that we had authority
>to keep them away, so they left (we thought) and a few
>minutes later we heard sticks breaking and such in the
>woods, but we thought it was just an animal as it wasn't
>frequent enough. Then not too long before the final few cars
>came, we see the same group of drunk guys walk out of the
>woods and come towards us. Me and my dad were PISSED and
>were about ready to just yell at them and tell them how
>stupid they were, but we just calmly asked them to leave for
>good. Nothing happened, but something could have, and it
>would have been nice to report that. *end of rant*

Thanks, Slick. We had a similar situation on Friday with some drunks posing as marshals. They appeared to be properly wrist-banded, too.

Next year you can believe we'll have a plan for dealing with such imposters.

You forgot to introduce yourself. And stay away from my daughter, too.

·
Registered
36 Posts
>Next year you can believe we'll have a plan for dealing with
>such imposters.

I certainly hope so.

>You forgot to introduce yourself.

Crap, you're right! You probably saw me though, about 6', shaggy blond hair, was assigned to 79 on the first day and 206/208 on the second...

>And stay away from my daughter, too.

That was uncalled for! I don't even know her (yet) ;)

·
Left seat and not British!
785 Posts
I want to add our thanks to Mark for a DYNAMITE course! And event overall. As an organizer I empathize with all the hassles you all must have been going through Friday night, and my understanding it was all handled professionally and expeditiously and everyone's health was maximized. But I'm also aware of all the "paddling below the surface" that goes on so the duck glides smoothly along the surface. GREAT JOB! As advertised, the roads were incredible...now if we could just arrange for a little precipitation between whoever's infront of us and us.......

Thanks Mark.

Kim DeMotte, Co-Driver #122 Martin/DeMotte
Official Old Fart, etc.

·
R3 Slippy
79 Posts
Mark,

Have to agree with everything that was said. Incredible roads, great workers, and a very smooth event. By far the most fun roads I have had the pleasure to drive. Great work on the course, and great work by everyone involved. Joe and I sincerely appreciate it!

Chris Gilligan

·
which left?
1,621 Posts
In addition to echoing the sentiments of everyone who has posted so far, I also have to parise Karen and Kerry Freund (and one other, who I'm ashamed to not remember), our radio net controls. Especially during the emergency on Friday, their work was absolutely invaluable.

No less praise should go to our medical personnel. These aren't official numbers at all, but from my listening to the radio net and talking to others, I believe that the first rescue team was dispatched less than a minute after the accident, and that they were on site in three. That's amazing, and everyone involved in the rally owes them a huge debt of gratitude.

Thank You

--
Mark Holden
KC0SUW

(edit: spelling}

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
>Crap, you're right! You probably saw me though, about 6',
>shaggy blond hair, was assigned to 79 on the first day and
>206/208 on the second...

I was in the 000 Jeep that stopped to chase the spectators away from your marshal point. Now I know who you are, but doubt I could pick you out of a lineup.

·
Registered
36 Posts
>>Crap, you're right! You probably saw me though, about 6',
>>shaggy blond hair, was assigned to 79 on the first day and
>>206/208 on the second...
>
>I was in the 000 Jeep that stopped to chase the spectators
>away from your marshal point. Now I know who you are, but
>doubt I could pick you out of a lineup.

Yep, that was us. At least that family was cooperative and didn't try to sneak through the woods during an active stage. x(

·
Big Jump 800
716 Posts
I want to apologize to the Ojibwe Forests ProRally organizers for my behavior after their event. I said some things I regret and I'm sorry for that. I thought the event was managed magnificently. Special thanks to Kerry and Karen Freund, Mark Larson, the entire committee and all the workers for putting together a great rally.

As for my penalty. I realize Brad Odegard was only the guy with the radar gun, not the one handing out the penalty. I am particularly sorry that I was so terribly pissed off at HIM Saturday night and hope he can accept my apology.

J.B. Niday
www.nidayrallysport.com

·
Registered
183 Posts
>Our medical crews and procedures handled a difficult
>situation on Friday, and we're all really proud of the way
>they handled it. Mr. Adkins was well enough on Saturday to
>ask his crew if the car would be ready for the next event!

On behalf of our team, I'd like to repeat for SS readers my comments from the awards ceremony. We had 2 cars entered: Pat Moro and I were lucky enough to win PGT, and Mark Adkins and Jeff were unlucky enough to have a massive accident. The manner in which the organizers handled the situation was SUPERB. There were the marshals who apparently heard the crash and got medics on the scene within minutes; the local emergency crews who dealt with a very difficult crash scene; the organizers who kept the event running with some really smart decisions; and the SCCA who realized the gravity of the situation and played it by the book perfectly. Everyone did very, very well.

Mark will be staying in the hospital in Fargo until next week. Members of our team were at his bedside within 8 hours of the accident, and he was already joking about having the car ready for Cog. Maybe he meant Cog 2005. His recovery will be long, but he's in good spirits.

We picked Jeff up from the hospital at 5am on Saturday morning. He had a facial fracture and some bruises, but was back to his usual hilarious self by lunchtime.

Neil.
N-Tire Planet and Patrick Moro Racing, #650 and #59

G

·
it was so good to hear they are alive and as well as can be.

we were in some of the last cars off stage 8 and not too far from the helicopter when it took off from the road. Air ambulances always give me the heebie jeebies. A person's thoughts sometimes creep to the worst at that point....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts