Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a few quick comments on the Ojibwe weekend: First and foremost, big thanks to Bruce Weinman, Beryl Ann Burton and all the others who worked on the events for a first-class effort. Organizing anything on the scale of a Pro or ClubRally has to be extremely difficult. To make all the different parts mesh and come off on time requires a great deal of experience and commitment. This crew certainly has both.

Although my driver, Ken Kovach, had run Black Bear with them, this was my first experience with stage notes. I can only say that I think that they do make for a safer and faster event. Mr. Sweden obviously knows his business. It took most of the first day for us to get the cadence even close to correct; but Ken and I spent some analysis time with them overnight and had a much better experience on the second day. I'd also like to mention that the stage note briefing was very well done. The concise, direct explanation contained no wasted words and left us with lots of time for a good question-and-answer period at the end.

The weather on Friday left a lot to be desired. Heavy rains late in the evening turned the final stages to slippery muck. We made it through the sixth stage with only a little drama, but seven did us in. We went off once just after the start, peeling back the left front fender on a tree; but we were able to continue. Just shy of the three mile mark, the muck struck again. We hit deep mud in a tight right-hander and got out of the ruts. The car simply went straight off the road and flattened a small tree with the skid plate. The sapling acted like a spring, lifting the front wheels
of the Focus off the ground. With the back wheels up to the axle in the mud, there was no way we could push the car off the sapling; so we had to sit and wait for sweep.

The weather cleared overnight and Saturday was simply beautiful. The roads dried out and the speeds went up. We had a really good run on the Saturday ClubRally, ending up 3rd in Production (a 40 second spread covered positions 1 through 3!) and 12th overall. I'd also like to congratulate Mark Higgins and Claire Mole for their overall National win, Brendan Cunningham and J. Gillespie and Ron Nelson and James Burtis for their respective ClubRally wins and all the class winners in the three events (too long for this note). In closing, I'd like to mention that although this is quite a long drive for many of us (1,075 miles for me), the quality of the LOL events keeps us coming back!

·
Registered
868 Posts
We really enjoyed the event. Thanks to the organizers and all other rally workers. Dave Clark built us a rally car that is strong & fast - no DNF's all year. Mike Leonard helped with service. Ben Bradley & Jason Grahn towed the car to & from the event. We had the rare incident of road penalties, but the reading of the stage notes was flawless. I think Rick's mastering of the stage notes is a key reason that we were top 2WD after the first 6 stages (mud bog stage 7 was a little slow for us, but much worse for Doug Shepherd in the G5 Dodge). We were happy with our stage times on Saturday. Those roads are perfect for a powerful RWD car, and Mazda helps make it possible for us to enjoy them.
Thanks to all, and an early congrats to O'Sullivan/Chester for winning the Woodner Cup.
Dave
Car # 207

1 - 2 of 2 Posts