Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought you might be curious about some Ojibwe details that might not be widely known. I heard someone say that they aren't coming because they don't like night rallying.

Hooey! I'm so glad for ever stage I've ever been lucky enough to run. Only one human in a million ever gets to run a rally stage. How can anyone be so picky as to not love every stage they get a chance to run?

Anyway, as usual, the facts shed some light on the truth.

There is a practice stage Thursday afternoon. This is a real rally stage on a real forest road, all daylight. $40 per run, by the way. Contact us, and we'll tell you how to find the practice stage.

Friday has 8 stages with 4 spectator points. 4 of the 8 stages are after dark.

Saturday has 8 stages with 3 spectator points. There are 3 stages after dark.

So you can see that we have lots of rallying for you in the daylight.

Some other points of interest:

As usual, we're trying to keep the rallies as unfamiliar as possible. There are a few miles of new roads again, and several miles we haven't run in this direction for a while. This is my fifth event as rallymaster, and there's only one stage I've used before, though of course most of the roads have been used before. (I used that stage on a ClubRally). I like to minimize the advantage of the people who have run before.

Also, almost every stage is almost completely different from the one just before it (i.e. length and road variety), so you won't be getting bored. For example, there's a 2-miler followed by a 22-miler.

Friday service space is at a premium. There are reserved spots for the first 38 entries. Those who register later or those who need extra space will have to service in the "festival seating" area. If you're one of the first 38 cars to register, you can contact Mary Utecht to claim your spot. You can reply to this message if you don't know how to reach her, or she'll post her contact info.

Saturday there are no limits on service space. We have plenty.

We heard the complaining last year and have grossly extended our transit times. We had a reputation for the shortest transit times in the series, and probably rightly so. We always gave you enough time to make the transit, but none extra. That was partly because we were trying to prevent tire-stashing. Well, the rules don't let us do that any more, so you'll be sitting the required 10 minutes at the end of every transit this year. (Unless of course you take the time to change your stashed tires - or water, I suppose.) On most transits you can average 15 - 20 mph and make the time.

The roads are in awesome shape this year. I've never seen them in better condition in the 20 years we've been running up there. The only really bad road on the rally is the transit into the Ranch stage. We're sending you in a new way this year to minimize the traffic jam, so you just have to put up with it for a mile or so. Remember, the Ranch helps us keep many spectators out of the woods, and that's what it's all about.

There's an awesome new hotel in town. Well, awesome for the north woods, anyway. Three floors overlooking the lake. If you don't mind being 5 miles from the headquarters, try the Hampton Inn. Parking is limited, but you can leave your big rigs at the NW Technical College a few blocks away.

So, I believe we've prepared a fun, safe rally for you this year. See you in two weeks.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Where is the proper rally schedule?
It is 2 weeks before the event and imposible for us to plan for service, tires and etc. We pay premium prices for entries, practice stage ($40/run ) and we can not get the information that we need to prepare.

-george

·
Faster !!!!
768 Posts
>Where is the proper rally schedule?
>It is 2 weeks before the event and impossible for us to plan
>for service, tires and etc.

Like George said ...
It is absolutely necessary for organizers to supply competitors
with this information as far before the event as possible.

I sent an e-mail requesting this info last week.
I have not received any of this information.

Again, can I PLEASE get the schedule which will be printed in the front of the route book, showing all stage and transit distances, times, and service times.

Thank You !
:)

·
3/14=my 42nd rally anniversary
3,979 Posts
>Again, can I PLEASE get the schedule which will be printed
>in the front of the route book, showing all stage and
>transit distances, times, and service times.
>
>
>
>
> Thank You !
>:)

Should they send that info to you or Ollie Hunter, star of ESPN2's G2 Pikes Peak coverage?

}>

Halley ...
ProRally #86
http://www.realautosport.com

·
3/14=my 42nd rally anniversary
3,979 Posts
The End Days ...

>I heard someone say that they aren't coming because they don't like night rallying.
>
>Hooey!

"Hooey" indeed, and Hallelujah Brother Mark Larson for retaining and sharing the faith!!!

At the risk of sounding like our ranting, resident sociopaths I'm just flabbergasted that someone could actually decide to NOT enter a rally because stages are to be run after dark. Are these the END DAYS or what? Where the hell have we gone wrong?? How is it that we're attracting more "fair weather" racers than we are teams keen to bring grit, tenacity, resourcefullness and good ole common sense to a competition in hopes of challenging for a successful outcome? This sport used to be a men/women-and-their-machine-against-the-elements contest but thanks to technological advances (and the requisite deep pockets needed to fund such), the roads we choose to run on and the coddling of both the media and the monied we're reducing it to nothing but road racing on gravel where success is claimed with a top ten stage time or two. Not entering a stage rally because you don't want to run after dark is just plain sad.

Should the terror of the three-day darkness ever descend you'll wish you'd logged more stage miles after dark ... ;-)

Halley ...
((seriously, this new prescription is quite liberating ... ))
ProRally #86
http://www.realautosport.com

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
>It is 2 weeks before the event and imposible for us to plan
>for service, tires and etc. We pay premium prices for
>entries, practice stage ($40/run ) and we can not get the
>information that we need to prepare.

It has actually been on our Web site for some time, I believe, but it's well hidden. Go to the "Competitors" section of www.ojibweforestrally.com. Click on the "Tenative" schedule. There's a link to a PDF file there that is actually the rally schedule, not the weekend schedule that's on the page.

I've asked the Webmaster to make that more obvious.

Basically, for Friday it's two stages before a 10 minute service, then two stages into an hour long service/reseed. Four nighttime stages end the rally.

Stages 2 and 5 are the Ranch "superspecials", though we don't really call them that.

Saturday it's five stages before service and three stages after.

You might think our schedule looks kind of goofy at first glance, but it's all because of our permits. We use at least five different DNR forests, plus two county forests, and have different rules for each one. For example, we have a "curfew" in one state forest that doesn't let us race until 7 PM because of all the daylight recreational use. So, Friday night we have to run the two stages that are available to us and drive all the way around the forest to our service area. By the time we've done that it's 7:00 and we can enter the forest for some fun.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
RE: The End Days ...

>Should the terror of the three-day darkness ever descend
>you'll wish you'd logged more stage miles after dark ... ;-)

Thanks, Mike.

Actually, I love night rallying. I love day rallying. I love rough stages. I love fast stages. I love twisty stages. Actually, I hate rough and twisty stages when I'm on them, but I still love that we can do all kinds.

We're fortunate in Minnesota to have some of the most fabulous rally roads anywhere. This year they are in the best condition I've ever seen. Unfortunately, that great resource comes at a price, and that is that everyone else wants to use the forest, too. There are hundreds, if not thousands, of ATVers, hikers, fishermen, hunters, target shooters, 4-wheelers, boaters, campers and birdwatchers who share the forest.

Whenever this discussion comes up someone always asks, "How come we can't just have the forest for a day or two when everyone else can have it for the rest of the year?" The reason is that we can't control a 13-year old kid on an ATV. We can legally close the road for an afternoon, but we can't keep him from driving out in front of a rally car. If we ever ran down a kid who had driven through the banner tape rallying would end in Minnesota forever.

In our case night rallying is much safer because the other users have left the forest, and any who remain can at least see the lights approaching and hopefully stay out of the way. Doesn't matter, though. We have our "curfews" and that's what we obey.

By the way, Mike, we've eliminated the sandy uphill start that the two wheel drive guy with the open diff in the middle of the pack hated so much!

·
400 flat to crest
5,777 Posts

>>I heard someone say that they aren't coming because they don't like night rallying.
>>
>>Hooey!
>
>"Hooey" indeed, and Hallelujah Brother Mark Larson for
>retaining and sharing the faith!!!
>
>At the risk of sounding like our ranting, resident
>sociopaths I'm just flabbergasted that someone could
>actually decide to NOT enter a rally because stages are to
>be run after dark. Are these the END DAYS or what? Where
>the hell have we gone wrong?? How is it that we're
>attracting more "fair weather" racers than we are teams keen
>to bring grit, tenacity, resourcefullness and good ole
>common sense to a competition in hopes of challenging for a
>successful outcome? This sport used to be a
>men/women-and-their-machine-against-the-elements contest but
>thanks to technological advances (and the requisite deep
>pockets needed to fund such), the roads we choose to run on
>and the coddling of both the media and the monied we're
>reducing it to nothing but road racing on gravel where
>success is claimed with a top ten stage time or two. Not
>entering a stage rally because you don't want to run after
>dark is just plain sad.
>
>Should the terror of the three-day darkness ever descend
>you'll wish you'd logged more stage miles after dark ... ;-)
>
>Halley ...
>((seriously, this new prescription is quite liberating ...

I cut and paste this because I think it needs to be reiterated.
well said, keep up your meds.

And Jezuz haitch kerist, I actually fully agree with sometyhing
"the angry man" said.......

And over on Cars and construction I actually said something which could be construed as almost positive about a Sub-a-rat....

maybe thinking about the coming wee kid is making me mellow.....??

John Vanlandingham
Seattle, WA. 98168

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

·
Registered
2,246 Posts

did i read that right? are you having a child? congratulations!

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
>It is 2 weeks before the event and imposible for us to plan
>for service, tires and etc. We pay premium prices for
>entries, practice stage ($40/run ) and we can not get the
>information that we need to prepare.
>
>
>-george

here:

http://www.ojibweforestrally.com/docs/public_schedule.pdf

·
don't cut
2,252 Posts

>At the risk of sounding like our ranting, resident
>sociopaths I'm just flabbergasted that someone could
>actually decide to NOT enter a rally because stages are to
>be run after dark. Are these the END DAYS or what? Where
>the hell have we gone wrong?? How is it that we're
>attracting more "fair weather" racers than we are teams keen
>to bring grit, tenacity, resourcefullness and good ole
>common sense to a competition in hopes of challenging for a
>successful outcome?
>Halley ...
>((seriously, this new prescription is quite liberating ...
>))
>ProRally #86
>http://www.realautosport.com

I'll admit it, I don't like racing at night. Call me a #####, a wimp, whatever, but I don't see well at night. But... now that I have HID's (sell a kidney if you need to, but get HID's) I can tolerate night racing. Now the main reason I don't like night stages is potential promotion. In other words, you can't see my sponsor's logo at night. It's not much of a big deal at the moment because I don't have a lot of sponsors, but it's a tough sell to potentials. Also, potential spectators don't wanna sit out in the woods at night to see a set of blinding lights whiz by. Neither do marshalls and other volunteers for that matter. Bottom line is that I wouldn't not enter a rally based solely on it's content of night stages, but it is a factor in the go no-go decision.

Kudos to Mark and the OFPR crew for working around a REALLY tough set of forest restrictions and getting us a majority of daylight stages. I know I whined a lot, thanks for listening. I have just one more request, and then I'll shut up. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, PLEASE DON'T MAKE US HIT THE CROSSROADS JUMP AT NIGHT! We did that last year, and it was scary as hell. It's like jumping into a black hole. It's one of those situtions that's "fricking awesome!" but is followed by "I'm never doing that again!" And if we are gonna hit it at night, then don't tell me, cuz I'll be freaked out for the next two weeks.

Dennis Martin
[email protected]
920-432-4845

·
Slid'n around 'n havin a ball
2,953 Posts
RE: night jump

One thing I've found out is that if you are uncomfortable with a situation, slow down. At the end you'll see you weren't alone. Many times I've felt I whimped out only to find I finished right where a usually did, right behind the crazy people who didn't know any better.
Seriously, the sport really needs things in it that try your resolve, otherwise anybody could do it.
rz

·
Big Jump 800
716 Posts

As one of the loud complainers I'll clairify... I was gonna save my money for another rally vs. an ALL NIGHT STAGE rally... and that was the rumor at the time. I'm good with night stages being part of the deal, so's rain and mud and everything else... hey, I like nice weather... I don't like to service in the rain or cold or dark... I do it but I like it in warm daylight better... forgive me rally gods of the past!

J.B. Niday
www.nidayrallysport.com

·
Registered
3,258 Posts

Also,
>potential spectators don't wanna sit out in the woods at
>night to see a set of blinding lights whiz by. Neither do
>marshalls and other volunteers for that matter.
>Dennis Martin
>[email protected]
>920-432-4845

Have you ever (frequently) spectated at night??????????????

·
don't cut
2,252 Posts

>
>Have you ever (frequently) spectated at night??????????????

Yeah, and I'm not saying it isn't cool. The sound of ALS popping miles off in the distance on a still silent night really gets the blood pumping. But... it just isn't as cool as it is during the day. Depending on the location and the ambient light it can be darn near impossible to actually see the car. Instead you just get headlights and tailights and bug bites.

I'm sure somebody will pop up here talking about how they and their demented friends love specating at night and how it's the best, etc... But the average guy doesn't wanna drive four hours to stand in the woods at 11pm and be blinded by HID's. If he did, then we wouldn't have the promotional/sponsorship issues we have.

There's a reason the WRC rarely races at night, and it's not because the drivers and cars can't or don't want to do it.

Once again, thanks OFPR organizers working hard to make this a well balanced event. While your at it, can I order some rain to keep the dust down as well. :)

Dennis Martin
[email protected]
920-432-4845

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.