Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
1973 WRC POR
2,421 Posts
Mike:

Sandro Munari in the Lancia Statos on the 1974 World Championship Rally of the Rideau Lakes.

It certainly makes todays Evos and WRXs look rather mundane.

Doug Woods

·
Registered
162 Posts
They won this event too.

John B.

Two days affer San Remo, Munari's winning Stratos and the two Betas were loaded onto an aircraft and flown to Canada with their drivers and crew. After some brief reconnaissance and preperation, Munari and his colleagues took to the Canadian forest roads in great earnest. So earnestly in fact that Pregliasco blew up his engine, joining the whole Fiat team in th list of retirements: Munari and Lampinen, however, cruised home to an easy one, two. Lancia led the championship.

- Excerpted from 'Lancia Stratos - World Champion Rally Car' by Nigel Trow

·
1973 WRC POR
2,421 Posts
After some brief reconnaissance and preperation, Munari and his colleagues took to the Canadian forest roads in great earnest.

John:

There was no reconnaissance on the Rideau Lakes. It was a totally blind rally.

Goes to show you that you can't believe everything you read in a book!

Doug Woods

·
3/14=my 42nd rally anniversary
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
>That's why I'm in the vintage forums asking for info from
>people who were there - You guys always turn up the best
>stuff.
>
>John B.

You're just too easy!! ;)

BTW - I forgot to celebrate the fact, but last month was my 30-year rally anniversary. It was just a benefit gimmick road rally in San Angelo, Texas run with a spanking new Vega GT (hey! there was a time those little cars were considered ok), but it was the beginning of a life-long automotive distraction!

Plus, I still remember that the answer to the "Who is the tree surgeon?" question was found on a rusty Dr. Pepper sign nailed to a dying oak!

Halley ...
http://www.realautosport.com

·
Registered
162 Posts
I suppose I could try to dispute the use or non-use of a recce but I doubt that my argument would hold much weight since I was only 4 at the time. :p

John B.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts