Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone else watching these guys on Speed? Not much else on at that time of night, but I'm a bit impressed with some of their lurid sideways stuff in those trucks. Wouldn't mind playing with some of that horsepower either. Thoughts anyone?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Hmm, a race between say SOA and GM or Mitsu and Ford. Skip the woop sections and leave everything else. Dhiggins vs Hagstrom vs two of them.

·
Registered
521 Posts
OLM has weekly shows for CORR as well as Ivan Stewart's Pro-Truck series. I saw one of their shows last night that was about the A-Z's of Off-Road racing and they showed quite a crowd watching the event, explaining how great it was to be able to see most of the course and having proper restrooms etc nearby.

Isn't that the same network that shows the Ramada Express?

David

·
don't cut
2,252 Posts
Rod Millen was running a Toyota in the CORR series for couple years. The truck was VERY MUCH rally car inspired, and very fast. It would stomp a rally car on any kind of track, but probably too much for the woods.

Dennis Martin
[email protected]
920-432-4845

·
Slid'n around 'n havin a ball
2,953 Posts
RE: CORR

I looked into the series and travel last year and figured I'd need to be in MI or Wis. to make it work. Idea was to look at the possibility of using cars. I miss wheel-to-wheel.
rz

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

How about an organiser out that way getting together with one of their people and get some rally cars out there for a display (static) or get them to put on a show during a break . It would make for an interesting race (no contact though) and could generate a lot of interest. Talk about "Super Specials"! Someone do it!

·
Registered
149 Posts

ahhh... the good old days!!! 800 hp, 20 inches of wheel travel and full contact!!! but man you think keeping a rally car running is a lot of work!... that was a full time job for 3 crew and myself after work every night and every weekend... just to make each race !! there is nothing like comming out of a corner and hammering it with big power !!! but having said that driving at 100 mph on a road I have never seen befor has got a "feel" all by its self so... both are very cool but I like the "if I make a mistake its my fault in the rally car"... not "if YOU make a mistake I get to work on my truck for the the next two weeks cause YOU hit me x( "

Quig
OUT CLASS4 2002 Chevy pick up
IN P4 1995 Subaru Impreza
:+

·
Registered
240 Posts

Why do I see Euro Rallycross? Yes OLN and sometimes Speed carry the CORR races. Good stuff when rally isn't on.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts

It looks like fun, but do those trucks handle like - well - trucks? They look like they handle like a blunt knife through sirloin. Without the huge jumps it looks like a rally car would plaster them, no?

ACP
Flirting with the laws of physics.

·
Registered
240 Posts
RE: Supermoto

Anyone catch the coverage of the Supermoto race in Columbus, OH this weekend? I don't remember if it is OLN or Speed. This seems really cool as well, I was hooked in 5 minutes. Hmm just add cars and take away the big jumps, add yumps, stir...

·
don't cut
2,252 Posts

>How about an organiser out that way getting together with
>one of their people and get some rally cars out there for a
>display (static) or get them to put on a show during a break
>. It would make for an interesting race (no contact though)
>and could generate a lot of interest. Talk about "Super
>Specials"! Someone do it!

Since these races are more or less right in my backyard, I've been to a few to check it out. Exciting stuff, but the fans are most certainly not "rally folk". These guys are definatly on the nascar end of the racing spectrum. The appearance of a few "pimped out rice burners" (which is defined as anything with a wing and less than 8 cylinders) would not sit well with them. Bringing Jim Cox's rally "bl-uck" would probably be OK, but my Lancer would probably get me beat up.

The drivers on the other hand are totally into rally. We've had a few guys actually drop out of CORR and go rallying. They've all seen it on TV and whatnot, and they all wanna try it. In fact, I've found that most real racers (guys who actually sit in a car once a month) have a lot of respect for rally.

Dennis Martin
[email protected]
920-432-4845

·
L3> over crest, drops!
647 Posts
I love that stuff...The finished product at the track or in the desert is pretty damn impressive, but the custom fab work, suspension, and engine work are unbelieveable. Its no wonder many of those trucks are more than $100k.. :eek:

Some of the web sites dedicated to building the trucks and buggies are very informative and show the in-depth details of the fabrication process. If you thought it was hard to build a roll cage, try building everything..My codriver and I are planning to build a buggy at some point, but need a solid chunk of time (and coin) to do it right.
I'll post a link or two to the sites, you might find it pretty interesting..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts