Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Flat over crest
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't get a good answer on this - no doubt because it was asked in the middle of a different thread.

My question was why is Lagemann's name on top of Kidd on the navigator's side of the car? And it has been that way all year (not just Pikes Peak).

To which Mad Mike came back with the rule:
You guys are kidding, right? PRR 3.1.G - "the occupant's name of that particular side appearing above the other occupant."

Now I'm not one to cause a fuss and I really don't think it's a big deal. But I bet if I showed up with my name above the navigator's name on his/her side of the car - there would be a problem.

So what gives? Is Subaru paying extra for this? Is there a penalty for violation of this "Rule"? Or is Ramana the new Hendrik BLOK? (you old timers should understand)

Scott
www.teamharco.com
Team Harco Motorsports
"Win on Sunday, Sleep on Monday"

·
CR>R5 into L3- 100 Finish
626 Posts
Ok,... if this was the FIA, there would be a fine.
But we're talking SCCA here. Only the teams with courtesy and respect of each other would have them correctly. :+
But then again, we should'nt get hung up on issues like this. Lets take them all off and have everyone guess who is sitting with who.

Whiplash RallyeSport

·
straight at T
2,472 Posts
It has been obvious, both from the media coverage and from personal observation, that the visual identification rules are only enforced in a nitpicking way on the privateers. The factory teams can run with the flags in the wrong places and other violations, so (warning: sarcasm) a uniform visual identification can be presented to the media.

Adrian

·
Registered
122 Posts
What about registration?

How about legal license plates? I noticed Lovell's Car at Rim had no rear license plate from a state that I could identify?

http://www.rimoftheworldrally.com/images/2002/Tech/P1010080.jpg

There is a better view of the rear plate on the Rim TV coverage.

I noticed Millen's has CA plates:
http://www.rimoftheworldrally.com/images/2002/ParcExpose/ParcExpose31.jpg

Rule 4.4 Vehicle Registration states a vehicle registration certifiate must be available for inspection. There is no mention of a legal plate actually being on the car as a requirement.

Does anyone know which state, or even country, Lovell's Subie is registered in?

Paul

·
Registered
116 Posts
RE: What about registration?

Those plates look like they are from the UK.
Front plate - Black lettering/White background
Rear plate - Black lettering/Yellow background

R. Lima

·
I am not here anymore
2,798 Posts

You know, it is legal for folks from outside the US to bring their cars in for a year and drive them on their home registration. The British magazine CAR just ran an article where they did that with a Smart and drove it across the country.

When I lived in Germany in '91 and '92, I had my US car over there and drove it all over on California plates. A Lotus Esprit with California plates in Germany gets lots of attention.

alan

·
Registered
1,998 Posts

>
>You know, it is legal for folks from outside the US to bring
>their cars in for a year and drive them on their home
>registration. The British magazine CAR just ran an article
>where they did that with a Smart and drove it across the
>country.

Come on! Quit spoiling their fun with facts! It's more important that it be some sort of conspiracy, rather than just a routine thing or a simple oversight.

BW

·
3/14=my 42nd rally anniversary
3,979 Posts
>To which Mad Mike came back with the rule:
>You guys are kidding, right? PRR 3.1.G - "the occupant's
>name of that particular side appearing above the other
>occupant."

Sorry Scott, I hadn't had my second cup of coffee that morning ...

Dunno why the names are flip-flopped on the navvie's side of Lageman's car, but I know why 'Halley' was listed above 'Bressem' on his side of the Bug at Cherokee 2001 - It was because I had not had my second cup of coffee before I stumbled out there to put the newly arrived Competition Graphics-supplied names on the car!

Halley ...
http://www.realautosport.com

·
Registered
229 Posts

True, you can, but you can also get SMART cars in the US. I wasn't aware of that until a few weeks ago when I saw one for sale. Isn't there a difference between driving a car that's street legal in the US that has plates from another country and driving a car that isn't street legal in the US (Peugeot 206 or something)?

·
don't cut
4,075 Posts

>True, you can, but you can also get SMART cars in the US. I
>wasn't aware of that until a few weeks ago when I saw one
>for sale. Isn't there a difference between driving a car
>that's street legal in the US that has plates from another
>country and driving a car that isn't street legal in the US
>(Peugeot 206 or something)?
No.:)

·
I am not here anymore
2,798 Posts

>True, you can, but you can also get SMART cars in the US. I
>wasn't aware of that until a few weeks ago when I saw one
>for sale.

I have an Elise road car in my garage, but that doesn't mean that they have been federally certified. The Smart has not been federally certified and can't be imported for sale into the US. Neither has the Elise. Neither has the Audi A3. I seen all of those cars for sale in the US.

And I know of one Smart that was seized by the Feds after someone tried to register it in the US.

Anyway, if you read the article in CAR, you will see that they talk about this stuff and how they had to convince the Feds that the car would be going back within a year.

>Isn't there a difference between driving a car
>that's street legal in the US that has plates from another
>country and driving a car that isn't street legal in the US
>(Peugeot 206 or something)?

Like Richard said, no.

This is a bigger issue in places like Europe that have a lot of countries (with different vehicle standards) that are within reasonable driving distance of each other. Even here, Mexicans and Canadians can cross the border and drive their cars in the US, even if they don't meet the FMVSS and EPA requirements. They just sell their car here (unless they meet US standards).

alan

P.S. Most folks who know me know that the top of what is road legal is a hot button issue for me. I don't see how it can completely OK for me to ride my motorcycle or drive my early 70s vintage Lotuses on the road (from a safety or environmental point-of-view) and for it be not OK for me to drive my much-much-much-safer and much-much-much-less-polluting Elise on the road. Let me stop myself before I go off on a rant ...

·
Registered
63 Posts

Ah yes, the ever popular importation controversy. I would say a few things, but I don't want any men in trench coats breaking down my door because I made a disparaging remark towards our countries sometimes questionable policies.

Needless to say, there has to be a way to get even the hardest cars registered here. I've seen many cars that should not have been on our shores driving around. Unfortunately the only one I ever got a picture of was this crazy minivan from Citroen or something like that.

I happened to be in Prescott last year, scouting out some new roads for the PFR, and I happened along this little scene at a gas station:

http://pic1.picturetrail.com:80/VOL123/523882/741190/11662553.jpg

http://pic1.picturetrail.com:80/VOL123/523882/741190/11662549.jpg

Hope that the pictures turns out.

I asked the gentleman who was fueling it up if it was his or maybe a test car or something. He stated in a matter-of-fact way, "It's mine"
When I pressed him on how he managed to get it into the US, he just said,"I shipped it here" WHen asked if he had any problems he just said nope! Hmmmm.... how can that be?

Mike Anderson
85 VW GTI

·
Registered
229 Posts

I believe that's a Renault Espace... if he can get that here, maybe I can get that Peugeot 306 that I've been wanting }>

·
Registered
122 Posts
RE: OK, I've let you have enough fun...

>those are manufacturer plates, and completely legal in ALL
>50 states...

I am curious. What agency isssue these manufacturer plates? Dept of Transportation? ????

Paul

·
don't cut
4,075 Posts
RE: OK, I've let you have enough fun...

Those don't look like manufacturer plates that I've seen in the past. They look like European plates. The manufacturer plates I've seen are standard state plates, like Michigan, except they say "Manufacturer Plates" plus the state of issue. Texas has dealer plates that are the same. The difference in Texas is that with a dealer plate, you are not required a state inspection plate or other registration. Supposed to be used only for road tests and transport between dealerships, etc. Occasionally used for salesmen's demos.
Richard Miller

1 - 16 of 16 Posts