Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 20 of 263 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will move over to here from build.
Building a 1998/99 Forester for my start into RallyX and then maybe ? some stage work. Been doing some kind of racing for,well a long time. Boats,cars,trucks,shifter karts. Some time back swaped a JDM V2/3 into a FWD Impreza and got hooked on the well built Subaru.

I had another 1/2 cut JDM and asked around and got the idea that a Forester mite be a good car/chassis for rally. We will see. Well on with the show.

Work for today.
Worked on the P/S cooler and wired up the horns. Cooler is from a Ford S/D, $15 at the junk yard. Had to weld up the bracket.

Springs will be here Wed. but? Then back to the struts.

Would like to go to the upcomeing RallyX but?? will see?
Oh,and still have the front brakes to do. And a cat back exhaust. Don't think I could stand the cat only,man can you hear the turbo!

No hood,lights (front) grill. Can I run ? maybe I just need to keep working on the Forester. LOL

Randy

P.S. Mod,s if this needs to be mover its ok.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
129 and no input ? Its ok to say, "have you lost your mind,a Forester ?"

And from today.
Some work on the air/box. What a pain . The HF on the welder is not on all the time, makes Alum. alot of work. Need to do more thin stuff,that I hate!

The shape of things to come ! LOL

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Won' that air intake just be ramming dust and mud and muck into your air cleaner? I don't have a feel for what you can do in the drier climes, but I know our work cars in PHX get plenty of dirt and sand all over them.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input!

For desert racing,and following other car in desert racing ,yes! But first saying I have not rallyed on stage. The dust I have see in the net. photos would be just as bad under the hood or wheel well. Also as for mud , I'm thinking that is more from the front wheels back ? Now deep snow, a guard would be needed. I have been using photos of the front of rally cars to try to pick the best place. I may need to look into a nother place?
Randy

Also changing the filter more offen will be needed!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok ! Their not stage coil-overs but think it will work for me.

Good day !
Springs are here and in ! Think this will work. 300 up front 275 in the rear. We will see???

Cut the spring ring off. Just to close.

It sits just about the way I think it should ?

Also the LSD works just fine! Open diff up front.

So a good day. Will reinstall front brakes Thus. Almost a driver? And looks to have good POWER!
Randy

Also got the co-drivers seat in.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
More work on the rear pipe and muffler. Have been thinking about comeing off a jump and felt the flowmaster is heavy and would need a better hanger. Came up with this. What do you think ? Still need a V band clamp to finish.

And some hangers.

And a end shot. Think it will work with the tube bumper ?

Randy

·
Right 6 over crest
74 Posts
[/url][/IMG]
Represent the fozz well, I'm interested to know how a forester being used for racing will do when everyone else uses them for off roading and stance.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Fclevelandwrx, We will see ? I posted what would be a good chassis for RallyX,Rally and some roadracing . 3 people (maybe Rallyest ?) said Forester . So I went with it.
Randy

·
Registered
22 Posts
What length springs are you using? I ran a similar setup on my Impreza for RallyX and had issues with coil bind on all four corners with 10 inch springs. It looks like you might have a similar issue down the road.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Their 10" x 2 1/2" . Front are #300 and the rear are #275. We will see if it will work. Tryed to use 12" but could not get them in.
Randy

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ok, that's almost the same setup that I used. Keep an eye out for paint damage between the coils, especially if the courses you run have heavy compresson, or if you're getting airborne.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks RS27.
Will keep a eye on that.

How many bump stop rubbers did you use ?

Randy

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm pretty sure I had the OEM bump stops. I might have trimmed off one section back when I was autocrossing a lot, but I don't recall off hand.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks RS !

I also found away to use 12" spring and maybe 14" ? More on that later.

Well,pulled the motor and trans to replace the uppipe with the Sti uppipe and repair the turbo oil leak, need to make sure the screws are tite !

Also got the plate and title today . Still much to do. Oh, and replaced the timing belt.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Things went well today ! Timing belt installed . Oil change with filter. Oil leak fixed . Swapped the "BIG" uppipe for the Sti. pipe. Much more driverable , no more big change is the power coming on. Thanks "Markos !" Things went as planned. "Man" , this thing pulls HARD ! Will need to work on my shifting ! I'm slow and she is FAST!

Now all I need is the hood,headlights and trim. (Hint,hint,hint! Eric? ) Then I will start the general road testing. Also did some sanding on the body. What a mess ! Oh, and she has white doors now.

Also started making plans for the roll cage. Thinking about cuting the top out to do the top welding. Roof is in pretty bad shape. Something must have fallin on it ? May cut the white cars roof welds and use it ? And thinking about removing the roof rack ? But what to fill the slots with ? Need to work on that.

Randy

P.S. Happy Mothers day !

·
400 flat to crest
5,777 Posts
Their 10" x 2 1/2" . Front are #300 and the rear are #275. We will see if it will work. Tryed to use 12" but could not get them in.
Randy
Unless you thing weighs a couple of thousand pounds more than normal Subies or has unusally short suspension travel both your spring rights are WAAAAAAAAAAY stiff.
Front IF YOU HAVE REAL DAMPING--for grass-o-cross I'd suggest no more than 200 in/lbs, and for rally maybe 250 if you are reasonably fast...

Rear: grass o cross----200, rally 225.
Normal stock GC8 and GB travel in rear is 210mm travel---8.25" you better have minimum that much is spring travel..You don't in a 10 " spring.
BY A LONG DEGREE.

Front stock GC8 and GD travel is 160mm---who knows what that thing is.. Find out, measure your self and report..
The crazy stuff you have now is so still you'll bounce right off the road and probably flip..

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi John. And thanks for the input!

The struts have 6.57" and 7.4" stroke, F and R. For now this will be the start point to find out if I can Rally X. If things go well ,I will start looking for "real" coilovers. Also have found away to us up to 14" springs in the front. The rear will not be so easy. Tire is in the way. Different offset wheel would help but dont want to go their . Will stay stock for now.

Spring are big . Will look into others.

Randy

1 - 20 of 263 Posts