Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been a bit since I have used the SCCA notes but assume they still are in the format of R6 instead of 6R. This always seems backwards to me. From my point of view (as a novice of notes) The descriptive system seem most intuative, the numeric with a number first next and the numeric with number last, least. I realize that when reading slowly it is easy to handle all three, but in the heat of battle when a string of notes is read off, I find I have to spend more brain time digesting a string in the format of R6 than I do 6R, and even less so for flat right or fast right. Am I more mentally challenged than most or do others feel the same. Was there ever a debate about the order of call for the numeric notes or was it a given that they would be direction-severity instead of the other way around ?

·
Marketing through Motorsports
1,385 Posts
I wondered about that myself, but as I think about it, I think direction is slightly more important than degree.

If I get the direction but not the severity, at least he's pointed in the right direction, albeit maybe going too fast. If I get the severity but not the direction, he could be completely crossed up.

Imagine calling a '2'. Setting up for a L2 is completely different from setting up for a R2.

However, having said that, it's not a big deal to me either way. I think P-Sport queried the active competitors at a couple of events a while ago.

[hr]

[p align=right]John Dillon
John @ WidgetRacing.com
www.WidgetRacing.com

·
www.christianedstrom.com
2,144 Posts
>It's been a bit since I have used the SCCA notes but assume
>they still are in the format of R6 instead of 6R. This
>always seems backwards to me.

Think about what happens when a corner tightens or opens...

R6>5->>3

is much easier to read than

6R>5->>3

Cheers,
- Christian

·
straight at T
2,472 Posts
>>It's been a bit since I have used the SCCA notes but assume
>>they still are in the format of R6 instead of 6R. This
>>always seems backwards to me.
>
>Think about what happens when a corner tightens or opens...
>
>R6>5->>3
>
>is much easier to read than
>
>6R>5->>3

No difference, really (IMO). Either way reads fine.

Some drivers like it one way, others like it the other. One of my drivers said the they need the severity of the corner more than the direction because the direction is usually obvious, but how much they need to slow down isn't.

Adrian

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
For years we used descriptive notes. On occasion we would use numeric notes of the 3L variety (like you see on the WRC coverage). The first time we encountered L3 style notes, it seemed clumsy for about a mile into the first stage; then everything was fine. However, I think there is a "speed of communication" issue. As long as the information comes in a steady stream about 3 seconds before it's needed, the style of note does not seem to matter, but at Maine, when we lost our intercom & I was "reading" the notes using sign language, the "pace" became slower, and 3L worked much better than L3.

·
Registered
415 Posts
>what happens when a corner tightens or opens...
>
>R6>5->>3
>
>is much easier to read than
>
>6R>5->>3

I got to go with Christian on this one.

"4-L>" or would it be "4->L"

"L4->"

It just sounds cleaner. Plus, in the evo, if I am off, I'm late not early, so the "L" or "R" is far more important IMO... besides this just sounds weird to me !! Brake 2> N.C. L

Jeff Burmeister
SpecialStage.com
The North American Rally Resource
http://www.SpecialStage.com

·
straight at T
2,472 Posts
>>what happens when a corner tightens or opens...
>>
>>R6>5->>3
>>
>>is much easier to read than
>>
>>6R>5->>3
>
>I got to go with Christian on this one.
>
>"4-L>" or would it be "4->L"

or 4L->

>
>"L4->"
>
>It just sounds cleaner. Plus, in the evo, if I am off, I'm
>late not early, so the "L" or "R" is far more important
>IMO... besides this just sounds weird to me !! Brake 2>
>N.C. L

But the question is whether there is a difference between

!! Brake 2L> N.C.