Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure at least a few of you will find my build interesting. The car started it's life as a 1984 Toyota Celica GT. In the beginning, the build focus changed about every week or two, mostly driven by money. Once the current plan was settled on, I think it was the right way to go. (cross between a Group B car, a Class 6 off road race car, and a desert adventure vehicle.) I could have started with a GT-S with IRS suspension, but that's heavier, and much more costly to get the travel I wanted. I could have started with a coupe instead of a fastback, but that would have limited my storage space, made putting the cage in more difficult, etc... I drempt up this project while playing a video game, "MotorStorm", thought how cool would it be to go big on suspension mods, but leaving the basic car fairly similar to what is recognized as the Celica. The nose had to change though, had to be more like the Group B version of the Celica, specifically the Safari trim, with the push bar front bumper.

Enjoy the pics and ask whatever questions.

-Jon

The starting place:

Trophy Truck style axle build:

New upper arm pockets:

Axle installed:

Cage work: (yes, it could be finished out into a rally legal cage)

Rear bumper:

Front end bobbed off:

Front bumper:

Flexing the rear suspension: (note how flat the bumper still is to the ground)

I'll post more later.

·
Registered
580 Posts
:D just plain :D !

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
;-) Your welcome!!

I come up with all kinds of crazy build ideas, this one just seemed like it was the most do-able with what skills and equipment I have.
Next part of the puzzle was going to be the front end. With the back end raised up almost 3", spring wise, what modifications needed to be made to both match the back and still have good handling/stable stance. I came up with a radical idea for a car, based on lifted pick-up designs. Build a drop down subframe to relocate the arms, keep them fairly flat to the ground. More complex then it sounds. I also had to relocate the tie-rod end, to maintain a reasonable amount of bump steer, ended up having less then the factory. While I was at it, I made the arms 3" longer then stock as well, but only increased the track width by about 1/2" per side.

-Jon

Started by converting the strut to coil-over and added a 2" tall spacer

Then built a pair of tubular control arms (heim joints, sperical bearing ball joint for a full sized Chevy (circle track piece))

Then the subframe, bit by bit

Stock tie-rod went under the arm, now it's on top and in double shear

Before driving it, it got a freshly rebuilt engine as well (performance upgrades will come later)

Even had to rebuild part of the harness, used Cadillac injector clips

Finally, a quick test drive in the dirt...

240 mile round trip shake down, 120 miles in the dirt, chasing 3 turbo charged, Subi powered buggies on 35" tall tires

Latest project has been putting in a new, custom 14 gallon tank I had built, so I can seal up the back end from all the dust.

It doesn't look like it was much work to put in, but making the floor surround took a LOT more than I thought it would, to do it right.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
cool!

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, I'm lovin the car too. It's a bit hot outside right now to enjoy it, but once the tank install is completed in the next week or less, damn the heat, I'm heading out for a little play time.

-Jon

my favorite shot of the front end...

and next to the OTHER toy, the rally car in tarmac trim...

·
You get one life,live it!
1,911 Posts
Nice work Jon. We can always count on you for something itneresting. When are you fitting the Tundra V8??? hahahaha

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was thinking more along the lines of the Tacoma V6 w/ supercharger....

·
You get one life,live it!
1,911 Posts
Yeah a V6 would also sound sweet....

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The current engine, 22rec, sounds great to me, very thoaty and deep, like an aircooled off road VW. 2-1/4" exhaust out the back with only a glasspack about 1/2 way down the system.

-Jon

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the compliment. Here's a couple of pictures from it's last outing...

-Jon

1 - 20 of 40 Posts