Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
just another old phart
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Welp, while I was out jogging tonight a concept occurred to me for how my previously posted thoughts about a common license could work:

Here's what I posted before:

If the spirit of rebuilding performance rallying is real and people want to see this sport prosper and grow from this point forward, why not consider a coordination of licensing among the various potential sanctioning bodies: RA, NASA, ARSG, USAC, CARS, whomever. It would seem that the time is right to explore a "North American Rally License". Competitors don't benefit by having two or three or more pieces of paper in their wallets.

Here are my thoughts on structure. Shoot away:

* The various sanctioning bodies agree to one of their own to be the clearing house for issuing the paper license. This body would be responsible for keeping track of qualifications such as medical training requirements, physicals, required schools, whatever. The issuing body collects a nominal fee ($10 or $20 or whatever) for this work.

* Each sanctioning body determines how much per event their organization will charge each competitor as a licensing cost. If there are different levels of events within a sanctioning body, they are free to charge different rates for those levels (for example, $25 for a national level event and $15 for a regional event). Let the sanctioning bodies and the market determine what their events are worth. This fee is collected as part of the registration fee and remitted to the sanctioning body.

* Each sanctioning body determines how many events a competitor must pay the sanctioning fee for before the license is fully paid for that given sanctioning body. For example, perhaps after five events, your RA license is fully paid and any further RA events that year are "license free".

* If a competitor "crosses over" between sanctioning bodies, he just pays the going event rate for the events he chooses to do. So if someone was running a CARS season and wanted to do RA's Sno*Drift and NASA RallyNY they would effectively be paying only "one event's" worth of an RA license and "one event's" worth of a NASA license.

As I see it, each sanctioning body still gets the full value of what they feel their license is worth per event but the competitors don't have to pay for a full year's worth of licenisng for an organization where they will only run limited events.

Kent Gardam

·
Open AWD Extraordinaire!
1,216 Posts
At the same time of reducing paperwork, how about a nice little plastic license that has a nice little magnetic strip on the back that you can swipe at registration to speed things up drastically? I mean, you put the SAME INFORMATION on all of these forms between rallies, how come it can't be verified at rally time with a mag-swipe.

Total pet-peeve of mine is to stand in line for an hour and a half at registration when we fill out the same forms every time. Give the crew the same option for a "rally license" or a rally ID badge with the pertinent info on the mag swipe.

Oh, and some form of North American speed/seed factor database that is common between CA, US, and MX.

·
Right Side Ballast
775 Posts
These seem to me to be reasonable suggestions, although Im concerned that they may end up entailing administrative costs that exceed the savings of a few dollars for the competitor. It's a far, far, simpler system for each sanctioning body to have its own licensing requirements and to negotiate some reciprocity in recognizing and accepting others' licenses for competition.

But aren't we missing something critical in this discussion of licensing? What about qualifications to hold a license in the first place? Right now the training and/or experience required to get a license to rally is minimal to non-existent. The SCCA has far more training requirements for obtaining a road racing license than it had for one in performance rally, despite the latter's apparently being more dangerous.

Admittedly, there are more schools, both SCCA-run and commercial, available to would-be road racers. And the relative ease of obtaining a rally license doesn't present a large barrier to entry in a sport which needs to attract new participants, but any new organization of our sport, IMHO, HAS to include a better way of qualifying drivers -- and co-crivers -- for holding a license in the first place.

Along with experience requirements for rallying faster cars, a requirement for demonstrating some ability before hitting the stages and a system of training to develop that ability is going to be essential both for our insurability and for our safety and that of our spectators.

The way it was before just doesn't cut it.

Dick Moser
Co-driver, #343

·
straight at T
2,472 Posts
>Welp, while I was out jogging tonight a concept occurred to
>me for how my previously posted thoughts about a common
>license could work:
>
>Here's what I posted before:
>
>If the spirit of rebuilding performance rallying is real and
>people want to see this sport prosper and grow from this
>point forward, why not consider a coordination of licensing
>among the various potential sanctioning bodies: RA, NASA,
>ARSG, USAC, CARS, whomever. It would seem that the time is
>right to explore a "North American Rally License".
>Competitors don't benefit by having two or three or more
>pieces of paper in their wallets.

Why not set it up the way it currently is between CARS and SCCA? There is a reciprocal agreement between them to accept tho other's license. I currently run SCCA events on my CARS license - my only additional expense is to join SCCA. An SCCA license holder can run CARS events on their SCCA license with no additional cost (unless they want to score points in CARS championships).

This requires minimal administration.

Adrian

·
Faster Mabricator
3,611 Posts
I'm all for a N America license, or at least US/Canada license. Currently I hold both CARS National and NASA licenses and I will be competing at LSPR where technically per the SCCA rulebook, I'd have to additional obtain both membership and license in their club as well. That'd have been 3 licenses/memberships fees which I'd rather spend on equipment or entry fees.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts