Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Who would JVL ban!!!!
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:'( I heard from a friend today that Subaru Canada will not be sponsoring the Canadian championship from 2003 and on. Has any one heard anything like this. If this is true are the rallies still going to be televised on TSN. Also if this is true is there a replacement sponsor.

Why does it seem that every time the Canadian series starts growing a major sponsor pulls out. Is CARS doing everything they can to retain the series sponsors they have and also to get other sponsors so that burden of sponsorship is taken away from one company. Possibly finding a primary sponsor for each event would be better and signing them to a multi year deal for the event in question. :'(

·
Registered
730 Posts
Title Sponsorship

The last mailout from CARS indicated that 2002 is the end of the current contract with Subaru for title sponsorship, and that they have expressed a desire to remain involved, but at a lower level. CARS is indeed working hard to complete a sponsorship deal for 2003 which would include continued coverage on TSN and RDS.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Unfortunately (and judging from my navigator's 16 year old and his pals), Subaru seems to be getting way more publicity from the WRXs entered in video games than in rally racing. To really drive home the irony, the same 16 year old had this to say when he drove a car for the first time, "It's not as good as the video game." ouch.

-Rod Van Koughnet
Tulsa, OK

·
Registered
199 Posts
That funny you say that. Most people I know, including me, found rally from video games.

As for Subaru, rally is such a huge doorway to promoting cars, first of because no other car maker has yet got involved in Canada, and second because rally is growing like crazy. Its only a matter of time before someone, subaru, ford, ect, steps up to the plate and turns this sport in a whole new direction. Just look at big horn the last few years, more and more spectators every year. Bottom line, rally in Canada is just waiting for someone to take it to the next level.

If Mistubishi is on its way, subaru better watch out.

Buts thats just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
315 Posts
McGeer has said that he's planning to run the full series next year, so I guess that Subaru is still planning to have some sort of factory programme. It might be scaled back a bit, though.

·
Who would JVL ban!!!!
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
>.... Its only a matter of time before someone, subaru,
>ford, ect, steps up to the plate and turns this sport in a
>whole new direction....Bottom line,rally in Canada is just waiting >for someone to take it to the next level.

My friend that told me about this has been involved with rally in Canada since the early 80's and saw entry levels of 50-60 cars with tons of new cars, especially during the Dodge Omni GLH days and start of Corolla GTS's, and has also seen the down ward trend of 20 car fields for nationals. He says that rally in Canada has been waiting for a long time for someone to take it to the next level and has not happened yet. He hopes that it happens but isn't holding his breath and told me not to do the same.

Personnaly I hope that rally in Canada does not grow to the levels where it becomes inaccessable to the people that just want to have fun on the weekends. This happened in road racing, which I was involved in, and now there is very few options left after it became too expensive for weekend racers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts