Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
R6 300 FOC!
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From Autosport:

"The Safari Rally has been dropped from the World Rally Championship for 2003. The famously gruelling event has no place on next year's calendar, which was released by motorsport's governing body, the FIA, today (Tuesday). The FIA said the Safari Rally lost its slot because its organisers had not given the necessary guarantees for the event to take place."

That's a real shame...one of the most entertaining and unique rallies on the series - a true test. Hopefully it'll be back in a couple of years.

·
Registered
768 Posts
- I don't miss Safari. Too dangerous, no control over spectators nor animals, very hi speeds and cars guided by helicopters is no way to drive.
- I was looking forward to go to Japan! I ain't going to Turkey, I still remember "Midnite Express" too well.....
- It's time to bring back Portugal, too. That was a great rally but those crazy spectators must be "tied-to-trees"
Question: How is the weather in NZ in April?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Topi,

April is just going into fall in NZ. The area of the rally has a temparate climate and fall tends to be dry with temps in the 60 to 80 range.

The only problem I forsee is dust, but I have seen that as a problem when the event has been in mid-winter in the past. Of course, there is no such thing as settled weather when rallies are involved and a chilly blast from the Antarctic is always a possibility.

So I'll pack my thong and my thermals just to cover all possibilities......:)

Don

·
Registered
113 Posts
RE: No Safari WRC in 2003 - from Reuters

Safari replaced by Turkey

Turkey will host a round of the World Rally Championship for the first time after replacing the Safari Rally on the calendar, motor sport's governing body FIA said on Tuesday.

The FIA's World Motor Sport Council confirmed that Turkey's Anatolian Rally will be given world status next year with the Kenyan-based Safari Rally being ditched for a host of reasons.

Organisers of the Safari Rally have been hampered because of a lack of funding and championship sponsor Inmarsat stepped in to allow this year's event to take place.

But the nature of the rally was altered with a third of the stages held on closed roads in a bid to increase safety and reduce costs.

The rally was the only event to be held in Africa.

The Anatolian Rally was held this year with FIA backing and joins the calendar. A date has yet to be set.

The FIA have switched a number of events for 2003 with the Rally of New Zealand moving to an April slot and the Catalunya Rally now the penultimate round of the championship.

This year's penultimate rally, the Rally of Australia, will be held in September and the Tour of Corsica is switched from March to late October.

The Rally of Germany, which made its debut on the calendar this year, will take place in July but is subject to an examination of safety issues by the FIA Safety Commission.

Leading drivers including reigning champion Richard Burns were critical of the organisers of the Trier-based event with spectators crowding stages on the second leg.

The FIA also said that the Rally of Britain, which will again conclude the season, is provisional subject to an observers' report into this year's event, which takes place in Cardiff from November 14 to 17.

Source: Reuters

Date published: Oct 02, 2002

1 - 4 of 4 Posts