Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
I am not here anymore
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the coverage of Sno*Drift last night, I noticed that the Production class (P and PGT) results were not covered at all. Is this the way that it is going to be for the remainder of the season or is the TV coverage going to be as inconsistent as last year about which classes outside of open that they choose to show?

I thought the coverage was an improvement over last year, but I think they need to spend more time profiling the teams that are not open class, factory-backed or foreign drivers. Seems to conflict with the SCCA ad (with the same announcers and A/V style/quality as the coverage) promoting getting involved in rally. It is not British Rally Championship competitors that will be watching the coverage.

alan

·
Registered
374 Posts
Didn't you know that this is the SCCA OPEN CLASS CHAMPIONSHIP? I mean didn't Mark Utech come in 5th place overall... and he didn't even get a mention until the final scenes of the show.
Philip J. Boer
[email protected]

·
Registered
789 Posts
How much Group N or Super 1600 coverage do you get on a WRC Broadcast?

Same rationale applies; "follow (or rather shoot) the leaders".

Cheers.

·
Registered
924 Posts
what, you mean you'll actually miss those informative 17 secs that used to be the Prod class results? that'd take away from another great shot of a subaru!
Josh (in full Jens mode today)

·
Registered
803 Posts
just so you understand, ISC produces 4+ DIFFERENT shows per wrc event. The version you see is the version that speedvision ´subscribes´to, or, in the case of getting all shows (as many subscribers do), it would be the show they decided to put on.

You have your 2hour ´per rally´show, you have the 1 hour per day for 4 days show, you have the S1600 show, you have the PWRC show, etc.

For example, the S1600 and Grp N show (seperate, dedicated shows, but same editing, camera crews, clips, interviewers, commentary and graphics as the other shows) is shown a lot all over the world, just not on Speedvision.

Furthermore, subsribers have the option to intermix, intertwingle, and edit on top (ie Ralph Shaheen) their content, so, for example, they can mix in the S1600 or PWRC coverage of whomever they want, etc.

As an example, in the French Canada RDS broadcast of Sweden, they included the PWRC coverage with me in it, which had the same graphics, logos, look, fell etc. so it actually does look like part of the show

So using the WRC analogy is not so good. Your analogy could only be ´speedvision and the sponsors of the show, decided to only show...´
and now you see, it becomes clear why your show only consists of who it consists of.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Anyone know of any North American outlets for these other broadcasts, ie: cable, satellite, bootleg tapes etc. I would like to see the super 1600 and or PWRC, as I imagine many others of us would. Anyone have ways or means to NTSC copies of these shows? I know Duke video sells the WRC wrap ups, any sources for the others? Maybe if we politely sugest to SPEED that the super 1600 and PWRC are to WRC as the Busch series and the Hooters Cup are to NASCAR, then they'll get the hint to show them.

As for the Prod classes on TV, last season there were tighter fights for those classes at many races then there was for Open, they may go a little slower but the drivers are just as skilled and determined and professional, and have just as much right under the SCCA name thats attached to the broadcast, to have some air time as anyone else winning their respective class, regardless of whos footing the bill for the show.
JTree

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'd love to see some more footage of other classes at both levels. I know at times at events, while some may disagree, it's more fun to watch the non-open class guys compete. There's just a flow to some of the Gp2 and Gp5 (P as well) drivers that you don't see everywhere, most likely is somewhat due to the fact that they aren't flying into some segments as fast as the open-class monsters.

·
straight at T
2,472 Posts
>Say what you want, I don't want to see P and PGT cars on tv.
>They're boring to watch.

More boring than an old Golf? (sorry Lurch:p). With an extra half-hour of show they could, at least, acknowledge the top 3 in each class. Oh well, at least they've decided that Gp2 and Gp5 are different classes this year.

Adrian

·
Registered
48 Posts
Keep in mind, also... Sno*Drift only had 5 PGT entries, and one P entry, which was too late to even be on the original start order. Four of those PGT entries finished, and the S-10 in P class finished as well.

Admittedly, PGT would have been nice to see some coverage, but regarding P, they can't cover what isn't there.

/Andrew

·
Registered
946 Posts
>Keep in mind, also... Sno*Drift only had 5 PGT entries, and
>one P entry, which was too late to even be on the original
>start order. Four of those PGT entries finished, and the
>S-10 in P class finished as well.
>
>Admittedly, PGT would have been nice to see some coverage,
>but regarding P, they can't cover what isn't there.
>
>/Andrew

0 P class cars in Pro.

Perhaps with the limited amount of stages in the daylight at Rim there will be more cars shown to fill the hour.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I was shooting on a corner that also had a Speedvision camera. By the time the Pro cars passed, he packed up his camera and just stood in the rain for a couple more hours. Not to say other cameras weren't getting the shots, but he definately wasn't. Too bad too, as there were a couple funny-yet-not-dangerous driver errors that I would have loved to see in replay.

Ryan Douthit
Northwest Auto Sports
http://www.nwautosports.com

·
I am not here anymore
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
>Keep in mind, also... Sno*Drift only had 5 PGT entries, and
>one P entry, which was too late to even be on the original
>start order. Four of those PGT entries finished, and the
>S-10 in P class finished as well.
>
>Admittedly, PGT would have been nice to see some coverage,
>but regarding P, they can't cover what isn't there.

And actually, there were six PGT cars, more than Gp2 or Gp5. Andrew Tilson in the Canadian Audi TT also went straight instead or turning on SS9 and then there was Roland McIvor and I, who mercifully had our rally ended by an oil pump failure after SS9. The rest finished.

alan

1 - 13 of 13 Posts