Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Don't give him the stick!
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its finally time for me to post this up here. Ive been working on my race car since I got home from LSPR this fall.

The reason I've waited so long, is because, thus far progress has been limited mainly to destruction. I Picked up the car last week, and it now has a roll cage. I'm officially committed, and there is absolutely no turning back now.

Now before some of you get all upity because Im building my first race car you need to understand a few things about myself. I enjoy building. To me, the car prep, is most of the fun. I might not be doing things like everyone else, and it definitely wont be pretty, but I've got to learn. If Im doing something stupid, dont be afraid to speak up.

Now on to the pictures. Im just going to post a quick overview here on SpecialStage. You can find my full build thread at NicoClub's Rally Car. I update it regularly, and I will try and keep this updated as well.

When I picked up the new car, picture take the day I left for LSPR. It was a mostly stock 1991 Nissan 240SX hatchback minus its engine.

I proceded to gut the entire car. I stripped it almost down to a shell. Everything is off, wiring, suspension, engine, and interior. Everything is in boxes.

Then it went off to Davenport for a roll cage. The car was so light, we picked it up, and carried it onto the trailer.

Back in the garage + cage. Everybody say hi to Chris Gordon, he was there to help move the car.

Cage

Since I've had the car back, I have been working to reinforce the strut towers, and some other areas. I need to get the cage inspected after Snow Drift (wish I could go), then it will be time for paint.

·
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good to see another local G2 1991 Nissan in the works. Hoping soon to have some picture-worthy progress on my Sentra SE-R (not the RallyCross car which you may have seen, but a clean Texas shell).
Sweet. I have seen the rallyX car, I was at Dog Daze 08, you were hauling balls. I was in the Flat Black 240SX, I was over powered, and under tractioned.

For those who might ask, this is the car I sold to fund the race car build, 1995 Nissan 240SX.

Trying to make a car thats set up for drifting go fast on gravel = not easy

·
just another old phart
2,258 Posts
Back in the garage + cage. Everybody say hi to Chris Gordon, he was there to help move the car.

Is Chris Gordon the two-legged or the four=legged one?

·
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is Chris Gordon the two-legged or the four=legged one?
Hahahaha Chris is the bipedal one. The dogs name is Frank. Chris is a member on here, and one of the people who is partly responsible for feeding my rally addiction.

It appears you got rid of the PS setup. But why?
The PS ratios are going to be a pain in the rear
Not so. Ive driven more than one 240SX without power steering, both daily, and on dirt. Its really a non issue.

Im reducing weight while simplifying the engine bay. Its one less thing to fail, and one less thing to work around if something else fails. It was a decision I made early, but in truth, if it really comes down to it, I can always reinstall a simplified system.

·
100 hurdle, 50 brick wall....
370 Posts
your car is very cool....

will be shed loads of fun in the forest for sure.

good effort

hats off

keep at it.......

but please call it a rally car.

race cars go round in circles.

thanks

AP.

·
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
your car is very cool....

will be shed loads of fun in the forest for sure.

good effort

hats off

keep at it.......

but please call it a rally car.

race cars go round in circles.

thanks

AP.
Hahahaha

It is a rally car, and when its discussed with those in the know, its refered to as a rally car. I spend lots of time with people who dont know/get rally, so I sometimes refer to it as my race car, as it is a car I will solely use for racing.

·
which left?
1,621 Posts
Hahahaha

It is a rally car, and when its discussed with those in the know, its refered to as a rally car. I spend lots of time with people who dont know/get rally, so I sometimes refer to it as my race car, as it is a car I will solely use for racing.
I'm with you on this one. It's a race car (general) and a rally car (specific).

Just as long as you don't go talking about how you're "rally car racing" with it ;)

·
Registered
874 Posts
I occasionally get confused looks when I talk about rallying. For some reason these people are thinking TSD then I have to go and explain why I need a roll cage, fire suit, hans devise, helmet, etc.

The best was Rallye de Paris 2 years ago when I was talking to the girl working at the front desk of Rally HQ and had to explain that there were other forms of racing besides stock car racing. She hadn't even heard of Formula 1.

·
Right Side Ballast
775 Posts
The best explanation of rally that I've found for people who don't know the sport, is that it's "driving as fast as you possibly can on dirt roads you've never seen before". Seems to capture their attention and, for lots of them, it's enough.

Dick

·
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Im picking up a set of Sparco Evo II seats form Micah at Sisu Rally sports. I will be reinstalling the dash, column, and steering wheel so I can get the brackets located properly.

Im trying to decided on the best way to mount the rails. What have you guys found works best. Tubing, flat stock, angle iron> I should have a better idea of what I need to do once I have the rails in my hands, Im just looking for someone to bounce ideas off of.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts