Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
do wrc cars run at night anymore? i dont remember much from last ear and nothing this year unless im really spacing out!

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
seems very very little -- i am not sure if it is against the FIA rules but I think the Monte and the British Rally are the only ones with night stages (morning and evening) due to the short days

·
Registered
415 Posts
Actually there are multiple reason for the day light only rule (it is actually only a strong suggestion, The Network Q runs into dusk, and the Monte has two stages at night.)

Some reasons for it;

One is very much from a TV point of view. Sorry guys but lets be honest, day light look a hell of a lot better on TV and...

Two, the lights from the cameras on the corners don't blind the drivers. It is hard for us to know exactly how a car can be affected by our lights, we try very hard to never shine our lights directly up stage. So the camera images you get at night, basically suck. Ask someone like Karl Scheible if we should run night stages with cameras.

Third, Worker Safety. Again, it is twice as easy to get hurt in the dark.

Fourth, Crew Safety, Service in the light is much easier and less of a 'Keystones Cops' routine in the light.

Fifth, booze. Spectators are more inclined to drink at night then in the day light. Less booze, means safer spectators driving roads like the rally people they just watched.

Sleep, retail businesses are open at the end, getting crews out, delay coverage, etc etc.

So, if someone asked me if we should adopt a day light rule in the US. I would respond "for the commerical viability of the sport, it makes sense for the powers-that-be to bring this rule in. Do I like it? That doesn't matter if it means my crew, the spectators, and our sponsors will be safer and happier."

Soul impact did some work for us (speed channel) at OT, at the end of his video is a good example of what we can shot at night.
http://www.soulimpact.tv/OT_ss5_6.mov

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
that doesnt look like much. but a day/twilight only schedule would mean possibly adding days onto an event wouldnt it? i have heard talk that some events are too long and could use a little shortening. bannering would have to be done the day before rather than the day of and the marshalls better be early and well organized. personally i hate spectating at night. i get blinded by the daylight strapped to the hood of the cars and cant tell who is who unless they blow the corner and come to a stop. the spectators do drink more at night or the days worth of drinking comes to a frenzied crescendo and you have some fool running off into the woods and hiding from his friends and possible passing out and getting left behind. plus you wouldnt have to buy so many lights for your car!
greg

·
Registered
452 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
>Sleep, retail businesses are open at the end, getting crews
>out, delay coverage, etc etc.
>
>So, if someone asked me if we should adopt a day light rule
>in the US. I would respond "for the commerical viability of
>the sport, it makes sense for the powers-that-be to bring
>this rule in. Do I like it? That doesn't matter if it means
>my crew, the spectators, and our sponsors will be safer and
>happier."
>

NASCAR seems to have gotten around a bunch of those issues.. Granted there are only a couple of night races, but they exist.

Delaware Mine for example could be run at midnight, and with Musco Lighting's assistance you could make the delta look like it was noon, without a glare in anyone's eyes.

In my opinion, running at night is part of what Rally is.

jblewis

·
Registered
286 Posts
>Delaware Mine for example could be run at midnight, and with
>Musco Lighting's assistance you could make the delta look
>like it was noon, without a glare in anyone's eyes.
>
>In my opinion, running at night is part of what Rally is.
>
>jblewis

Mmmmmmm...Delaware in the dark...oooooohhhh...

Brockway at dusk? Can we get some glide path lights for the jump at the top?

Charlie KA8OQF

1 - 8 of 8 Posts