Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now it's official, Rally Australia organisers requested from FIA to be excused from 2003 season.

Finally Shekhar Mehta's and Marlboro's prayers are answered.
It is speculated that Safari Rally will be back to replace Australia.
Mehta and Marlboro have been working franticly to get Turkey cancelled for obvious reasons. Mehta will have his rally back on calendar and Marlboro will be able to advertise on a rally car again.

FYI Kenya, Greece, Spain, Italy, Argentina and Cyprus are the only countries allowing tobacco advertising in rallies.

Cheers

M.Samli

·
CR>R5 into L3- 100 Finish
626 Posts
Marlboro is fighting a lost battle!
As of 2006 (maybe sooner) FIA outlawed all tobacco advertising for their events. Spa was dropped in F1 because they didn't want to downsize their tobacco advertising.

Whiplash RallyeSport

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Where are you getting your info? Everything I have seen says it is not official yet, some news is saying it has been resolved, and the Australian rally championship people say they are shocked that British press is even saying there is a problem, as that was the first they have heard of it.

·
Registered
768 Posts
- Sad news if true...First they built Rally Australia to be the best, then they fire the guy who did it and now they go down....Tourist Byros greed is the reason.

- FIA a good guy in tobacco war? NOT at all! Spa was cancelled because they did NOT allow tobacco whoring to go on as FIA wanted.

- FIA will not stop tobacco advertising in 2006 as agreed, they want to find an excuse to continue and are willing to ban European races to do so. More info: www.autosport.com

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Morgan,

I got the info from a source in Belgium who works for the FIA.
He confirmed that they received the request from the organiser and the Australian Tourism Authority and that they will publish their final decision in April bu he thinks that it's a done deal because Max Mosley said "If they want out, we'll let them out".

I'll try to get some info from Kenya too in order to be on the safe side.

Cheers

M.Samli

1 - 5 of 5 Posts