Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to leave Houghton early to make flight connections. How did the Sunday morning prize-giving go? Any Rally-America annoucements about next year? I hope Doug Havir was given a rousing ovation for keeping our sport alive in 2005.

·
eating dust taking photos
3,740 Posts
>Doug was not there. Everyone gave RA thanks during their
>speeches though.
>
>The schedule changes are:
>100AW is now a national event.
>No more Pikes Peak.
>Final national event is Reno Rally.

Correction to the above.

Pikes Peak will not be a championship event, RallyAmerica legal cars can still enter.

Pikes Peak Open will also host rally cars with more liberal rules...

·
Retired Rally Photographer
2,069 Posts
>Dates for 2006 R-A events?

Otis got syrup on my schedule, so I did not bring it home. They more or less are nearly the same ballpark times as this years ones.

And yeah, Pikes Peak is no longer a rally. JB said that rally cars are welcome in the Pikes Peak classes.

·
your other left, you idiot
3,909 Posts
PP

The Peak will still be there.

The hillclimb will still be there.

RA will not be there as a rally event.

OK?

>
>>No more Pikes Peak.
>
>Really?

press on,

·
www.christianedstrom.com
2,144 Posts
2006 Rally America Calendar

Sno*Drift January 27-28
100 Acre Wood February 24-25
Oregon Trail April 21-23
STPR June 3
Maine Forest July 28-29
Ojibwe August 25-26
Colorado Cog September 23-24
Lake Superior October 20-21
Reno December 1-2

- Christian

Bjorn Christian Edstrom
www.christianedstrom.com

·
Big Jump 800
716 Posts
Geez, guys, it ain't that complex.

There will be a PPIHC in 2006, but it won't be a round of the Rally America National Championship.

We're done pretending its a rally... tried it a couple of times and everybody who entered it KNOWS what I mean... its fun, its great to finish the hill climb on Saturday, but it isn't a rally. Sure its a big challenge, but not the SAME as a two day rally.

Phil Layton tells me that rally cars will be welcome in a couple of different classes. I won't be trying to interpret HIS rules.

Co-drivers at Pikes Peak? dunno, you have to ask Phil.

the schedule should be up on our website yesterday or tomorrow... keep checking there.

J.B. Niday
www.nidayrallysport.com

·
Marketing through Motorsports
1,385 Posts
Thanks, J.B. and Christian, for the info.

Pike's Peak is an awesome event, but it's not a rally--it's a rallysprint (no route books, no time cards, minimal miles, etc).

I encourage people to do the event if they can possibly afford it, but I also applaud R-A for their decision to drop it from the championship.

Speaking of which, I applaud Doug, J.B., Bruce, Beryl-Ann, Mike, Al, Heidi, Tara, Kristi, Bob, and the many other R-A folks for picking up where SCCA left off and helping keep the traditional "nationals" alive and active.

On to '06!

[hr]

[p align=right]John Dillon
John @ WidgetRacing.com
www.WidgetRacing.com

·
don't cut
2,252 Posts
>2006 Rally America Calendar
>
>Sno*Drift January 27-28
>100 Acre Wood February 24-25
>Oregon Trail April 21-23
>STPR June 3
>Maine Forest July 28-29
>Ojibwe August 25-26
>Colorado Cog September 23-24
>Lake Superior October 20-21
>Reno December 1-2
>

Not much of an off-season, eh? This could mak things very difficult on more than one front. More rallies = good, spreading them out over 12 months = bad.

Dennis Martin
[email protected]
920-432-4845

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
> More rallies = good,
>spreading them out over 12 months = bad.
>
Wait a minute, Dennis...you want the rallies grouped CLOSER TOGETHER? I'm so confused...

Bruce

·
C.m.f.S.
1,268 Posts
>2006 Rally America Calendar
>
>Sno*Drift January 27-28
>100 Acre Wood February 24-25
>Oregon Trail April 21-23
>STPR June 3
>Maine Forest July 28-29
>Ojibwe August 25-26
>Colorado Cog September 23-24
>Lake Superior October 20-21
>Reno December 1-2
>
>- Christian
>
>Bjorn Christian Edstrom
>www.christianedstrom.com

So is that the National Schedule?

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
>Not much of an off-season, eh? This could mak things very
>difficult on more than one front. More rallies = good,
>spreading them out over 12 months = bad.
>

What they've done Dennis is cleverly split the off season up into several months, March, November, and May, so all the time off doesn't overwhelm us by hitting all at once....

·
don't cut
2,252 Posts
>> More rallies = good,
>>spreading them out over 12 months = bad.
>>
>Wait a minute, Dennis...you want the rallies grouped CLOSER
>TOGETHER? I'm so confused...
>
>Bruce

Yes. Believe it or not, some of us have a life outside of rally. I've never done a full season, but everyone who I've seen that has looks pretty God awful burnt out by LSPR. To turn around in another six weeks and do it again, and then another 6 weeks and do it again, and then another 6 weeks and do it again, and then somewhere in there do a major rebuild (or new build), re-sign or hunt for sponsors, etc.... There is a reason every other sport in the world has an offseason. If people wanna rally year round, there are NASA, CARS, and ClubRally events to satisfy that urge.

From a pure schedule point of view (and nothing else, so don't blast me with posts about anything else), the best time for Reno would be late March. That would plug a gaping hole in the RA calender, make an easy swing for Midwest/East coast teams to pair up Reno/Oregon with one tow, and allow for a real offseason.

Listen, more rallies is good, so I'm not complaining about that. But ProRally schedules have historically not been competitor friendly, and this one is no different.

Dennis Martin
[email protected]
920-432-4845

1 - 20 of 90 Posts