Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Administrator Emeritus
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am starting this thread over as the previous thread became corrupted, sorry folks...

From the audio reports:
After 7 stages:

1. M. Higgins 1:15:38
2. R. Lagemann 1:16:43
3. R. Millen 1:17:46
4. M. Lovell 1:18:09
5. P. Choinere 1:18:60

DNF: Milner, Lawless

(According to reports from the field, P. Choinere pulled into 3rd on stage 8)

D. Higgens hit a deer between 4 and 5 (3 minutes off pace).

Looking good for Hyundai so far.

·
Administrator Emeritus
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Was able to recover this from the original thread:

markn
Member since 3-28-02
20 posts 10-18-02, 10:03 AM (PST)

"News from LSPR"

The latest news is Tapio is renting Henry Joy's EVO II from TAD. Should be an interesting rally...

Alert | IP Printer-friendly page | Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: News from LSPR John Vanos 10-18-02 1
RE: News from LSPR Lancia037Rally 10-18-02 2
RE: News from LSPR Timmerman_Paul 10-18-02 3
RE: News from LSPR Gary Cavett 10-18-02 4
RE: News - What news? Topi 10-18-02 5
RE: News - What news? Doug Woods 10-18-02 6
RE: News typed from audio derek 10-18-02 7
RE: News - What news? Chad 10-18-02 8
RE: News - What news? DaveHintz 10-18-02 9
RE: News - What news? Jim 10-18-02 10
RE: News - What news? Topi 10-18-02 11
RE: News - What news? Jim 10-19-02 12
RE: News from LSPR Jim 10-19-02 13
RE: News from LSPR Don Kennedy 10-19-02 14
RE: News from LSPR Jim 10-19-02 15

Conferences | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic
John Vanos
Member since 3-21-02
48 posts 10-18-02, 10:16 AM (PST)

1. "RE: News from LSPR"
In response to message #0

I guess that kind of messes up subaru's plans eh?

Remove | Alert | IP Printer-friendly page | Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Lancia037Rally
Member since 3-20-02
100 posts 10-18-02, 10:19 AM (PST)

2. "RE: News from LSPR"
In response to message #1

It will still help Subaru if he finishes in front of a Hyundai.

Remove | Alert | IP Printer-friendly page | Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Timmerman_Paul
Member since 3-27-02
78 posts 10-18-02, 11:23 AM (PST)

3. "RE: News from LSPR"
In response to message #2

LAST EDITED ON 10-18-02 AT 01:18 PM (PST)

Report is the cars are off and Tapio was second on the road
in the Lancer II. The weather is typically poor, with mixed
snow and rain falling, and melting, creating muddy conditions
and decreased visability.
Also heard that Pirelli is there in force to support Milner,
Tapio, and perhaps others. They are reported to be working
hard to come up with something that will work in there
notorious POR conditions.

paul t-

Gary Cavett
Member since 4-17-02
40 posts 10-18-02, 12:00 PM (PST)

4. "RE: News from LSPR"
In response to message #3

HERE'S THE LINK TO THE HOURLY RADIO UPDATES OFF THE LSPR SITE

http://www.lsprorally.com/audio.htm

Gary Cavett
Cavett Rally Motorsports
NWR SCCA
car #288

Topi
Member since 3-27-02
106 posts 10-18-02, 05:47 PM (PST)

5. "RE: News - What news?"
In response to message #4

Sad state of rallying in Norte America; The most important rally of the year is running BUT:
- "specialstage.com" is out for maintanance (seems to work Ok...)
- Event web site is dead - no news, no nothing
- Event organizers don't have any stage times and are not (?) planning to show any results neither (no "Results" on the web site)
- "SCCA is The Best Racing Club in the World!" - prezz Steve Johnson @ speedchannel.com interview.

Doug Woods
Member since 3-21-02
91 posts 10-18-02, 07:30 PM (PST)

6. "RE: News - What news?"
In response to message #5

>Sad state of rallying in Norte America; The most important
>rally of the year is running BUT:
>- "specialstage.com" is out for maintanance (seems to work
>Ok...)
>- Event web site is dead - no news, no nothing
>- Event organizers don't have any stage times and are not
>(?) planning to show any results neither (no "Results" on
>the web site)
>- "SCCA is The Best Racing Club in the World!" - prezz Steve
>Johnson @ speedchannel.com interview.
Topi:

I have to agree with you. However, I did try the audio results (see the link in post #4). It was not bad. The 9:37 report had the results after 5 stages.

Doug Woods

derek
Member since 3-19-02
97 posts 10-18-02, 07:35 PM (PST)

7. "RE: News typed from audio"
In response to message #6

From the 9:37pm audio report
1. David Higgens 49:34
2. Mark Higgens 49.47
3. Lagerman 50:07
4. Millen 50:10
5. Paul
6. Burke
7. Lovell

After stage 5

Chad
Member since 3-24-02
114 posts 10-18-02, 07:37 PM (PST)

8. "RE: News - What news?"
In response to message #6

I don't have too much intrest in the race but the radio feature is pretty cool!
Cheers,

Chad Manley - dcrally
http://www.dcrally.ca

DaveHintz
Member since 3-24-02
84 posts 10-18-02, 08:13 PM (PST)

9. "RE: News - What news?"
In response to message #8

Anybody know how O'Sullivan/Chester are doing?
What about Havas/Kean?

Jim
Member since 3-19-02
238 posts 10-18-02, 08:53 PM (PST)

10. "RE: News - What news?"
In response to message #5

>- "specialstage.com" is out for maintanance (seems to work
>Ok...)
Eh, what?

--------------------------------------------------------
I got a fever! And the only prescription ... is more cowbell!

Topi
Member since 3-27-02
106 posts 10-18-02, 09:35 PM (PST)

11. "RE: News - What news?"
In response to message #10

Jim,
since yesterday morning I get this:" Forum is currently offline for maintemance - Please try again later"

Jim
Member since 3-19-02
238 posts 10-19-02, 05:32 AM (PST)

12. "RE: News - What news?"
In response to message #11

You get that message and yet you can still post? Odd.

Jim
Member since 3-19-02
238 posts 10-19-02, 05:40 AM (PST)

13. "RE: News from LSPR"
In response to message #0

LAST EDITED ON 10-19-02 AT 05:48 AM (PST)

From the audio reports:
After 7 stages:

1. M. Higgins 1:15:38
2. R. Lagemann 1:16:43
3. R. Millen 1:17:46
4. M. Lovell 1:18:09
5. P. Choinere 1:18:60

DNF: Milner, Lawless

(According to reports from the field, P. Choinere pulled into 3rd on stage 8)

D. Higgens hit a deer between 4 and 5 (3 minutes off pace).

Looking good for Hyundai so far.

Don Kennedy
Member since 3-20-02
199 posts 10-19-02, 06:01 AM (PST)

14. "RE: News from LSPR"
In response to message #13

Okay, must be a local thing. But I've got to ask. What is this "more cowbell" thing

·
Administrator Emeritus
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Day One Press Release

SCCA® ProRally Championship
Round #10 - Lake Superior ProRally
Event Website: www.lsprorally.com

Day One: Higgins Brothers Dominate

HOUGHTON, Michigan Cold damp and snowy conditions defined day one of the Lake Superior Rally, the longest rally in the SCCA ProRally Championship, as all teams fought not only for road position, but also with numb fingers, often near-zero visibility, and some of the slipperiest road conditions of the season. At the end of this very long night, 2002 Driver Champion David Higgins, and Hyundai works challenger Mark Higgins, are the ones making the most of this exceedingly tough rally.

Key Notes and Quotes:

After 3 years of relatively clear event-day weather, Lake Superior has regained its reputation for being the "Oldest, Toughest, Meanest" event by throwing a variety of conditions at the competitors. Drivers have been commenting on the various patches of muddy and hard roads and have had to adjust their driving and tire strategy, especially during the later evening stages. Despite the demanding conditions, at the end of the night 75 cars still remain eligible to start day two of the original 83.

Tire choices were exceedingly varied, as the mostly slippy, sometimes frozen, and sometimes very wet conditions caused many teams to experiment stage to stage with different compounds, pressures, and brands and types. With several stages run twice, conditions experienced on the first run frequently were completely different the second time around.

By SS5, the manufacturers championship became Hyundai's to lose - with both of Subaru's nominated cars beset with minor, but delaying problems: Lagemann with a failed halfshaft in SS2, Lovell with a bad tire choice on one stage, and Jonny Milner excluded from the event for speeding on a transit, Hyundai suddenly found itself in a position to relax?

That was short-lived however, when a very sore-armed Mark Higgins' returned to service after running nearly 2 stages without power steering, (a pump replacement got him back going again) and Paul Choiniere's Tiburon rear crossmember collapsed on a particularly rough section of SS6, having to carefully negotiate the full length of SS7 to get the car back to service for a complete replacement.

Production class favorite Michael Halley, and his "Stud-Bug" - always a crowd favorite since its days as a star in a Volkswagen TV commercial with Karl Scheible 99 Production class champion, ended its rally in SS7 embedding itself in some trees while leading the class.

Even with the Manufacturers' Championship down to a two-team race, and the driver's championship decided, many non-championship contending teams could become a factor. Rhys Millen and Seamus Burke are ahead of the second Hyundai, which could be very important later in the rally. The Hyundai's need a 4th place finish to assure themselves the manufacturer's championship trophy regardless of where the Subaru's finish. Team Hyundai says they are happy with the early stages and are just playing it safe while hoping to move Paul Choiniere into the important 4th position and giving themselves some breathing room.

·
Administrator Emeritus
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
With 4 stages left

With 4 stages left:

1. M. Higgins 1:26:38
2. D. Higgins 1:28:10 (5 minute penalty will be added)
3. P. Choiniere 1:32:10
4. M. Lovell 1:34:18
5. L. O'Sullivan (time not available yet)

DNF: S. Burke (engine)

·
Registered
104 Posts
>Jonny Milner excluded from the event for speeding on a
>transit,
>
>from the report on your website.:)

I really should read those things :+

·
Sucker for good roads
717 Posts
RE: Prelim Results

The rally is over. I don't know everything that happened, but I've got a bit of info.

Open: I believe M. Higgins won, Lagemann 2nd, Choiniere 3rd. Rhys crashed badly, Milner DQ'd for speeding on transit, slamming into parked car, then behaving highly unprofessionally when originally assessed a 10 minute penalty. Burke was somewhere in the top 5 until he blew his engine. D. Higgins entered in Open, not N, and really was fastest, but took 5 minutes penalty for leaving service late trying to repair damage a deer did to the front. The top 3 all had some trouble too.

GpN: O'Neill was winning all along, I think he took it. Mitchell crashed out early, but ran Club today. Lawless was coming 2nd, holding off Kosmides' championship hopes, I think, but I think he dropped out and Ralph took it, if he held off Utecht.

Gp5: 2wd is so cool! Jankowski dominated, except that Havas was dicing with him early on. I think Jankowski made it to the finish in first. Butts probably took 2nd, with Vinson 3rd. Vinson was having real trouble putting the twin turbo power down in the horrible mud. It was extremely deep and slippery on over 1/2 the mileage. Olson had too much time off the road yesterday to be competitive, so he withdrew from Pro and just ran Club today. Havas had lots of trouble yesterday, then DNF'd on the first stage today - reportedly out of gas 50' from the start.

Gp2: Matt Johnson seemed to dominate in the mud. Lurch 2nd, Nielsen 3rd, but he had trouble late. Sherrill may have caught him?

PGT: Henderson was ahead of Maciukevicius yesterday, but Mac was flying today. Don't know.

Prod: I think other Johnsons in a Neon won, Seppanen probably came from last to 2nd today, Troy Lee in 3rd. Jamie Thomas was close behind, and Halley crashed out of 1st, I think.

Time to go see what's really official.

It's cold, snowing, muddy, and a blast.

·
Registered
768 Posts
RE: Laukkanen?

- What happened to "Englishman" (according to Kurt Spitzner) Laukkanen? Fastest man out before (?) he even started? Why?
- How did Laughlin O'Sullivan do?
- What put "Jorge" Plesk out?
PS. Thanks for news, guys!

·
Sucker for good roads
717 Posts

Laukkanen had mechanical failure of some sort pretty early on. On stage 2 he lost about 2 minutes (his estimate) with a broken left front driveshaft. He also took a bit of other damage down there too, losing a lot of engine oil - it looked to me like maybe the oil pressure sending unit got broken off. Don't know.

George Plsek blew a rubber turbo hose downstream of the turbo, right at an elbow, apparently a complex enough bend that it couldn't be replaced without the specific piece, which they didn't have. I think some duct tape may have been tried for a while, without enough success.

Lauchlin and Chester did awesome! He had some bad fogging inside the windshield yesterday, had some other nagging issue(s) and was getting used to the car more. Today he ripped off some great times, finishing 6th overall, behind D. Higgins and Lovell. I got to see them at one corner, just hanging it out wider than anyone, and fully using that Open class power through the exit. Crowd seriously loved it.

·
Registered
768 Posts

Thank you!
PS. Maybe we should pitch in some $$ and let you to write the full report...Nobody else seems to do it.

·
Administrator Emeritus
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
1. Mark Higgins 1:44:45
2. Ramana Lagemann 1:46:07
3. Paul Choinere 1:50.26

7. (1st Group N) Tim O'Neil 1:61:11

10. (1st Gp 2) Matt Johnson 1: 73:11

?. (1st Gp 5) Don Jankowski 1: 74:09

23. (1st PGT) Bob Henderson 1: 95:13

25. (1st P) David Johnson 1: 95:42

Ottawa ClubRally Winner: Chris Gilligan 90.14

Keweenaw ClubRally Winner: Shane Mitchell 45:29

1/3 of field DNF in the Pro event.

·
Administrator Emeritus
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Some of the Pro DNF's:

Tapio Laukkanen - Unspecified mechanical, withdrawn
Shane Mitchell - Stuck on berm, time-barred
Steve Gingras - Power steering
John Drislane - Off-road, stuck, time-barred
Doug Shepherd - Driveshaft
Thomas Lawless - Undisclosed mechanical
Jonny Milner - Excluded from event
Rhys Millen - Off road
George Plsek - Undisclosed mechanical

·
Administrator Emeritus
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

>Thank you!
>PS. Maybe we should pitch in some $$ and let you to write
>the full report...Nobody else seems to do it.

If someone was paying, we *would* get results fast. I'd be more than happy to go to every event and post results live, I just can't afford to do it. You buy, I'll fly. Regardless, I think that Specialstage has done a pretty decent job of getting results on the web this year. Was it perfect? No. Better than years previous? Oh yeah. You haven't seen our coverage in the past year Topi? We do the best we can.

This is a large area of focus for us. We fully intend on helping to make results go live, in any way we can. If you have some suggestions that can help make this happen, feel free to share.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Jim,
reporting has been generally good except this rally - all time low.
- Are those banner ads free?
- Anyway, I was HOPING to get some fresh news dudring the vent. I know everybody's busy but a 5 min phone call per day to you by Eric or Gearge could have been nice. I can pay that, even from a cell phone.
- I also hoped John Dillon or Tim Winker, who lives close by and knows for sure what's going on, had time to report something.
- The bigger shame is on SCCA but knowing their recort I don't expect not hope anything. Ex VP for NHRA T-shirt sales is happy the way it is....

·
Administrator Emeritus
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
>Jim,
>reporting has been generally good except this rally - all
>time low.

This event for us was tough. Several things happened to cause grief for us, none related to the rally.

>- Are those banner ads free?

No, but we have fees for hosting, domain registration, and software licenses we have to cover first. You would be suprised at the bandwidth this forum uses. Providing news and results from the events is not the only thing we have to do. Buy a calendar, it'll help. ;-)

>- Anyway, I was HOPING to get some fresh news dudring the
>vent. I know everybody's busy but a 5 min phone call per day
>to you by Eric or Gearge could have been nice. I can pay
>that, even from a cell phone.

Agreed, things don't always work out as planned. In our case, we have several other things going on as well. Hopefully we will have a better system in place for next year.

>- I also hoped John Dillon or Tim Winker, who lives close by
>and knows for sure what's going on, had time to report
>something.
>- The bigger shame is on SCCA but knowing their recort I
>don't expect not hope anything. Ex VP for NHRA T-shirt sales
>is happy the way it is....

Agreed, SCCA use to do a much better job in the past (press releases, not live results), now they seem content to leave it up to "us" to figure out.

·
Registered
36 Posts
RE: Prelim Results

>Prod: I think other Johnsons in a Neon won, Seppanen
>probably came from last to 2nd today, Troy Lee in 3rd.
>Jamie Thomas was close behind, and Halley crashed out of
>1st, I think.

Troy Lee grabbed 2nd in Production by 8 seconds. I was sneaking up all day but in the end it wasn't enough. Mike Halley put the New Beetle on its side on Friday night, pushed it back over, but needed a tow before it was free of the ditch. He said he drove it out of the stage afterwards, so hopefully it'll be back next year.

For some reason the Kumho tires I was running on Friday night suddenly started wearing at an incredible rate, and I finished the evening with almost bald tires, loosing several minutes per stage on the last few stages of the day. Add in some lighting and braking issues and I was way, way, behind. David and Shannon Johnson really demolished the rest of the class, putting probably 10 minutes on the rest of us Production cars.

Saturday I felt like I had some pride to win back, so I pushed really hard. Got some pretty respectable times, but nothing could make up for the time I'd lost Friday. I only wish I had entered the ClubRallies instead of the Pro, so I could have gotten a respectable result on Saturday instead of an unremarkable finish in the Pro event.

Bring on the Brockway video clips!

·
Sucker for good roads
717 Posts

Thanks, Topi, I greatly enjoyed my time there. I was torn between all my chosen activities there - trying to find everything out (stories/results), trying to update you that couldn't be there, helping Dave Clark service, working/officiating a stage finish control, spectating one stage, studying at the Library, etc. It's been years since I've been at an event but not driving or co-driving.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts