Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know of swift owners that rally? I'm completely new to rally, have done scca national racing in the past (prod car). Have swift GT streetcar. I'm waiting to see how scca classes this car for limited prep road racing; if it goes heavy & outclassed - I may try making a rally car.

I know its easier / cheaper to buy a already done car (and I'm still looking). But I'm on at least a one year hold for financial reasons.

Just for speculation - how would a swift gt do in production or G2?

I know I need a rulebook, but what is a (quick) summary for production & g2 rules? Are they designed to allow a production car to "upgrade" to g2 in the future? I would mainly be looking for cage rules I guess.

And of course, I'd be looking for suspension, wheels, seats, lights...

thanks in advance
Kendall Jones (detroit)
[email protected]

·
Registered
665 Posts
Back in the early 90's here in Canada, we had a Suzuki-supported entry level program. I think it was around $10K CAN for a fully prep'd car. A number of people took advantage and as a result, some of these cars are still competing.

CARS classifies these cars in P1 - production under 1400cc - where it is very competitive. With engine mods it'd go to Group 2.

If you're in Detroit, your best bet is Canadian rallies. There are at least four regional rallies within four hours driving distance, a few Swifts already running, low low Canadian dollar, the already mentioned advantageous class structure, very little bickering and very well-organized events.

Check out http://www.carsrally.ca

Robin

·
CR>R5 into L3- 100 Finish
626 Posts
OK...
Group 2: modified, max dis. up to 2400ccm, natural aspiration, interior gutted.
Prodution: stock, max dis. up to 2650ccm, natural, interior must remain.
The swift is actually a fairly good rallye car and ideal to start. Parts are not too hard to come by and affordable.
NorthWind RallyeSport

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow! Thanks for the replies so far!

production question - can the cage go through the dash / firewall? I understand the trim / interior needs to stay in. thanks!

·
Registered
868 Posts
The 16-valve 1300cc Suzuki can be very competitive in G2 on tight twisty stages. Check out the weight advantage relative to most G2 cars! Trinder was REALLY fast in one in the mid 1990's.
Dave Hintz
Car # 207

·
Tightens!
81 Posts
...based primarily on a malady known as GWNDSE (Great White North Downhiller Syndrome, Eh?). This is a genetic defect, common in subpopulations in Canada, that prevents the generation of a protein critical to the function of the portion of the brain responsible for fear and good judgement.

Seriously, he was fast and the Swift is a neat rally platform. I had the good luck to see "Monster" Tajima run his GrA version in New Zealand on my honeymoon. Sounded amazing.

There have been several of these cars for sale on Bens Rally Page, I think...

Kirk

·
400 flat to crest
5,777 Posts
>
>Just for speculation - how would a swift gt do in production
>or G2?
>
>I know I need a rulebook, but what is a (quick) summary for
>production & g2 rules? Are they designed to allow a
>production car to "upgrade" to g2 in the future? I would
>mainly be looking for cage rules I guess.
>
>And of course, I'd be looking for suspension, wheels, seats,
>lights...
>

You know competition is all about the balance between the advantage of one thing in ANY given car vs the disadvantages in the same car BUT BUT BUT it in the end is about the total package of your car vs the total package of the other guys car. OK?

So is you want to do the little Suzuki and you're just dead set on it cause "I want to", fine.

But since there isn't a class for 1300s, as nice as those little motors are, and they're really nice (especially if you 'de-rev-limit' them, Oh boy!) you have a displacement handicap of anywhere from 700cc up to 1100cc vs your likely opponents.That means you can stomp on the gas 'absolute' maximum and they can be lazy, fat ,sloppy and beat you bad.
You have a weight advantage, but all weight hurts little un-torquey mototrs more than bigger motors. Weight like sump guard, cage, heathy mid-western co-driver etc.

The biggest problem with all really short little cars is that at the speeds everyone is doing on the ROADS we use, especially in Canada, the short nimble little fun car become is practice a short floaty twitchy terror car. so any old longer , bigger engined Golf or whatever will be able to accellerate up to a higher speed and FEEL stable and secure at much high speeds, than a short little thing.

Derek Bottles read me a quote from Peugoet's competition boss when we we're talking about the design limitations of his Maz-dog 323, it said 'en effet' 'It is far easier to make a larger car nimble and feel like a smaller car than it is to make a small car feel like a larger car' and be stable.

Think hard about YOUR PERSONAL growth as a driver and maybe choose something that your investment in time and money and entries and hope won't rotate around and land you in the ditch before you even notice it's going sideways.

PS Back in the late 80s, early ninties, I knew some guys in Sweden doing their Suzuki Cup and they had come from older SAABs and VW Golf MkI, and they swore that the Cup stuff was the funnest stuff they had done with typical 35 car fields, so it was they said 'fantastic to know it was the driving that was shown by the results, not the budget!'
You have no Cup, no market for the car WHEN you want MORE SPEED! which is inevitable when there is no class cc limit.

Get a Pontiac LeMans and drop a the nice 16v that GM makes into that.Cost you a lot less in the long run.

·
Registered
665 Posts
>But since there isn't a class for 1300s, as nice as those
>little motors are, and they're really nice (especially if
>you 'de-rev-limit' them, Oh boy!) you have a displacement
>handicap of anywhere from 700cc up to 1100cc vs your likely
>opponents.

>You have no Cup, no market for the car WHEN you want MORE
>SPEED! which is inevitable when there is no class cc limit.

Neither of these premises apply if you chose to run P1 in Canada.

There is a class for 1300cc (P1) thus a theoretical displacement handicap of only 100cc and a practical handicap of 0cc

There are no age limits for production classes in Canada. Therefore, your car will continue to be marketable when you want more speed - which isn't inevitable when you're fighting with other Suzukis in your class AND Hondas 'n Toyotas in the P2 class.

The next Ontario regional is Black Bear in late June. Come on up and check it out for yourself. The competitors/organizers are very friendly and happy to answer questions (and put you to work...;) )

Robin

·
Registered
409 Posts
There are a few Swifts kicking around here on the West Coast, and someone referred to Trinder's from the mid-90's.

Check out this video link to hear what a tweaked Swift GTi sounds like when it's all wound up: [link:www.rallybc.com/member/rsport/videos/suzuki.asf|Suzuki @ 9,000 RPM: The FWD Experience]

Scott swore up and down that this car, when fully kitted up, was quicker than the Toyota Celica AllTrac (4WD turbo) that he built later - and that his times at the Knox Mtn Hill Climb in Kelowna, BC reflect this.

Have fun,

Bill

·
Administrator Emeritus
1,253 Posts
I have never seen in car footage so intense. Unreal.

Thanks for sharing it!

:+ Jim :+

·
Registered
868 Posts
Bill,
That is great footage. You should also post it under the "Drivers" category on the thread about how to hold a steering wheel!
Dave

·
Registered
87 Posts
I like the Suzuki and have seriously considered racing it instead of the Evo2.

Advantages are weight and manouverability. If there is a class for it.

Disadvantages are parts availibility. If there isn`t a class for it.

But I have my eyes on 2 GTI`s at the moment, very reasonable prices , and in Japan I have tons of parts available. One of the GTI`s has Webers too.

Hmmmmmm Evo2 or Swift ?????

Last season Evo2 parts , repairs and servicing $6000
Swift probably $4000 or so.

Robert VanLane

1 - 14 of 14 Posts