Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, my name is Lisa and I've just come back from my first rally at Gorman Ridge (CA). I had so much fun, that I want to go and do the Ramada Express rally in December (my car won't be ready for Prescott), especially after watching it on tape (ironically where my car's previous owner crashed him in a ditch!). I've heard that it's pretty expensive and I wanted to start saving for the event and for upgrades for my car in the event that I can go to the rally. So what I was wondering from anyone that had been to the rally, was this:

1. What is a rough estimate of the entry fee? (If I hear correctly, this includes two hotel rooms.)
2. What licenses do you need to compete and roughly how much do they cost? (Do you need an FIA license? NASA? I want to try to plan this so that I can have all the licenses expire at a time that will let me get the most events done.)

Thank you so much!

A star is born! http://www.rallyestar.com

·
Registered
433 Posts
Hey Lisa,

If I can recall correctly Ramada runs @ $850 which you are correct includes two hotel rooms for your stay...The price goes up from there if you are looking for more rooms, larger Service area, etc. As far as a what is required. Everything you entered Gorman with is all you need. NASA Lisence and a CRS card if you looking for CRS points.
If you want to try Recce', where you get to drive the stages prior to the event, plan on staying for 5 days for the whole event.
Looks like they are working on a new web site, but here it is if you dont already have it www.rallyusa.com You can also contact Ray Hocker, he is excellent on returning e-mails.

Plan on bringing warm cloths as the weather at Ramada can change. They have had everything from Dry conditions to muddy slop to a foot of snow.

Hope this helps,

Greg Montgomery

·
Registered
154 Posts
Lisa,

Splitting the costs with your navie also
helps. I always offer to pay my half when I
navigate. Keep in mind Ramada has a lot transit
miles(lots of gas). Make sure to bring along
some snow tires. Last year we brought snow tires
and a set of chains just in case.
Ramada is a blast...Its my favorite rally.

Best of luck,
-Amar

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you everyone! Now I'm going out and tend to my lemonade and chocolate chip cookie stand! j/k $850 was about what I thought the entry would be. And it's good to know about the licenses- I did not expect that expense for Gorman. I know I'll definitely be there for the whole week since I want to do an extensive recce. As for the 100 mile transit, I know my car will get put on the trailer for that one. Things should be okay, especially since my tech crew that was at Gorman with four other cars will be there, too with most of the same cars. Thanks again!
Live fast, drive faster!
http://www.rallyestar.com

·
You get one life,live it!
1,911 Posts
HI Lisa

Nice talking to you at the awards morning.You have to do Laughlin! I did service last year for our other Legacy and after seeing the roads and format of the Rally(Very much or if not better than a FIA Middle East event)I had to get back into rallying just to do this event.
So get saving! cost is good as it's a two day event (like two Gormans) plus you get a hotel room and get to recce(real rallying)for yourself.
Wind up that Toyota and get down there! Going to Ridgecrest Rally-X ??????????

Cheers

Chris Legacy #370

P.S you did a great job on your first rally,very impressive.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you again!
Hel.l yeah, I'm going to Ridgecrest! I'm going to go to the school there, too. I plan on using the rally crosses and sprints as practice and seat time so I can get used to going fast and used to knowing how my car handles when I drive fast, since you can't really practice that unless you have a dry lake bed in your backyard (or happen to get a camera crew to take you out there- nice feature, Tony!) and since I haven't gotten to spend much time with my rally car as it's been getting repaired. But I'm really looking foward to that event, even though I'll be doing it in my practice car, a 1984 beater Celica that rocks like no other beater Celica!
Live fast, drive faster!
http://www.rallyestar.com

·
You get one life,live it!
1,911 Posts
Hi Lisa

If you need details of that dry lake to pratice drop me a line as Rob (other Legacy) was there the weekend before Gorman with the Spanish TV dudes.
Hope to see you at Ridgecrest if I fix the car.

Cheers

Chris

[email protected]

·
Registered
150 Posts
There are a lot of transit miles on this event but they're through some of the most beautiful country there is. I think, dont qoute me on this, trailering is still allowed this year so the wear and tear on your car is minimal. In my opinion the recce is an added expense and if your worried about costs just do the event without it. There is a lot of time spent on the route book to make sure it works for the driver. This years event should be a great one with some new things planned. Just remember the earlier you get your money in the cheaper the event is.

Rallyon

1 - 12 of 12 Posts