Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats up guys. Just joined to see if i could find out some info. Me and my friend are talking about sharing a rally car. What Do you guys think would be a good starter car that would be cheap and easy to maintain. Also it would be good if any of you could tell me where to find events near me. I think we were looking more for a co-driver type of event. Me and my friend are already getting into AutoXing and track days. Me and my friend believe you shouldn't be limited to one motorsport. You should be well rounded. Thanks.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I followed the advise of the people of this web site and bought a alreay built log booked car. It is cheaper to fix up a exisiting rally car than building one from scratch.

Just start to finish! You can not win if you do not finish. You will be shocked at some of the roads these cars are put through. I have put my 2wd car through stuff at speed, I would second guess in my 4wd truck.

I have been doing track days since I started rallying. Yes it is great to fine tune the turns to max your speed, but in rallying you have to race with what your co driver verbally informs you at what is coming up. There is still the fear of what you do not see over the next hill or around the tight corner. WHAT A BLAST!

Rally is alot more fun! Try a couple of TSD events in a regular durable street car to get the feel of rally.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Hi Andrew,

You'll find lots of help here, and plenty of varied opinions, I am starting to advise folks that when it comes to cars and 'build vs buy', ask a lot of question and try to distill what is best for you from a variety of responses.

You're in Columbia SC?? You have 2 events near to you. There is Sandhills in Jan/Feb over in the Sandhills State Park near Cheraw. There is Cherokee Trails which is in TN just across the NC border on US 64. (Near Cleveland TN). Since the typcial rally distance to tow is 300-500 miles for many competitors, you're in a good location! Neaxt nearest events would be Rally TN about 1.5 hours WSW of Nashville, and STPR in northern PA.

For Rally-X, the sports car folks in the Raleigh area have the most active program near you; check the "Event Announcements" or "Southeast" forums. They have one coming up on Sep 17th , I believe.

We are about 6 hours north of you, in western VA, and you are welcome to hook up with us for anything you like. From your message, it's not clear if you are going to try to run a car or want to co-drive. Can you give us more info?

Regards, and welcome,
Mark B.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well me and my friend wanted to race, what we are talking about now is purchasing perhaps a Mazda 323 GTX. We were wondering if you can switch off drivers like autoXing. For instence i would be the driver and he the co-driver then we switch off. Also what exactly is the name of the rally with co-drivers. Because i know SCCA pulled out of rally and it is now handled by Rally America and that there is a type of rally when your just buy yourself. Also what do any of you think of other engine options for the GTX. Also for tires i suppose we would be looking to get some from michellin. My moms ex works with them i may still be able to get the hook up, but not really sure what tires i would be looking at???:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well that would be good but, me and my friend are just brainstorming about it now, i think ill tell him some info and see what he thinks.
But i am definatley interested in getting into some rally. Reason 1;to have some fun and 2; Hone my driving skills. Question, what is the GTX like in the rally, maybe the fastest youve been able to push it, etc. pretty much just anything you think i should know about the car or look out for would be great, And how much money would one of these events cost?}(

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Hi Andrew,

In answer to a few of your questions: Rallycross is all I know of where there is one driver. Yes you can switch drivers in some circustances. IMO, it would be best to do it every event of half an event.

You need to peruse these forums for other conversations on-line about getting started, what is a good path, etc. You will generally find recommendations to work some events, crew a bit, and use that time to usderstand the sport and decide what you want to do. The worst thing you can ususally do is to just jump in blind (although that was my path!).

I think it would be good if:
1) Fell free to give me a call: 5-4-0---949-7--9--8--9. This forum does not work effectively as a chat room so any questions may never get answered.
2) Read the many posts about how to get started
3) Keep asking questions and gather a lot of opinions.
4) Get to know the folks up in the Raleigh NC area, like Anders Green. You should definitely make quick plans to go the rally cross up there tomorrow and meet some folks!!!

Regards, and good luck!
Mark B.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
where exactly in NC, because i may go and see it if i can.
not sure if i can get there, i was trying to get my friend and his dad to go up there w/ his evo to spectate but i think both of them have to work :-( Im not even able to drive yet so i get rides from my friends, but i get my license this month.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts