Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am a long time drag racer that finally finished my long awaited rally car. I was planning on going to the Sno-drift to start out. What should I do as far as setting up for my temp. license.

I built the car to spec so I doubt there will be a problem there.

What info should I get together, so I can make it smooth as possible. Since its our first rally I am trying to avoid headaches.

any feedback would be greatly apreciated.

thanks, Evan Cline
91 galant vr4 rally turd
94 Talon TSi 700hp [email protected] 137mph

·
Registered
2,246 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok let me be more specific. I was basically looking for general feedback as to what to expect as far as red tape.

Or by just showing up with car, safety gear, all info required by the rules, and if I have all of the above they will let me race after attending the safety seminar and vehicle inspection.

I have never rallied before so if I sound a little stupid I apologize, and since I am new I just don't want to leave any stupid requirement out.

thanks, Evan

·
L1 !!! HPR into HPL
950 Posts
Yes, you can just show up, buy your license, attend the seminar, and run the rallies but, that assumes you are driving a group 2 or production car.

You see, the rules are changing for 05 and somebody just starting out can only start in a Group 2 or Production vehicle. This is spelled out in the bullatin posted to the SCCA web site in November and discussed extensively on this board for the past few months. Somebody with the requisite relevant experience can get a waiver from the class requirement but, you need to do that before you head for Atlanta. Your car is either Prod GY or Open and is not allowed for a newbie.

Now, maybe your drag racing experience will get you thru but, can't be sure. Suggest you contact JB Niday at Rally-America immediately and see what can be done. Don't want to have you tow up there and be sent away if possible.

Hope you can work things out,

David Weiman
rallydave at pobox dot com

·
Registered
145 Posts
Well come :)

Were mite you be living ???

May be theres someone around you would come look at the car and help you out. Also this fourm can move slow at times ... Lots of help here and nice people...

Have Fun

Captain Gear Box

Hazardous Toys inc

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
>Yes, you can just show up, buy your license, attend the
>seminar, and run the rallies but, that assumes you are driving
>a group 2 or production car.
>
>You see, the rules are changing for 05 and somebody just
>starting out can only start in a Group 2 or Production
>vehicle. This is spelled out in the bullatin posted to the
>SCCA web site in November and discussed extensively on this
>board for the past few months. Somebody with the requisite
>relevant experience can get a waiver from the class
>requirement but, you need to do that before you head for
>Atlanta. Your car is either Prod GY or Open and is not
>allowed for a newbie.
>
>Now, maybe your drag racing experience will get you thru but,
>can't be sure. Suggest you contact JB Niday at Rally-America
>immediately and see what can be done. Don't want to have you
>tow up there and be sent away if possible.
>
>Hope you can work things out,
>
>
>David Weiman
>rallydave at pobox dot com

this is why i sent you to RA's site. you will have to contac JB niday and/or mike hurst to make some kind of arrangement. that will be the biggest piece of "red tape" you will have to deal with.

·
Global Village Idiot
543 Posts
Welcome, Evan.
Although you've built your car to the specs, you would be wise to have it checked over by a Tech Inspector. I'm not 100% sure how that is working with the handover from SCCA to RA but I would guess that old SCCA Inspectors will be new RA Inspectors. Mike Hurst will be the best to ask in regards to that. It would really suck to turn up at the event and not be able to compete due to some little thing missing or incorrect.

My 2% of a buck!
Nick.

·
your other left, you idiot
3,909 Posts
It would help you if you got the car teched, and issued a log book BEFORE you get to Atlanta. Often, logbook issuance and annual tech are not done at the events.

Where do you live?

Have you ever been to a rally?

Go to RA website and have a look, and contact JB Niday.

http://www.rally-america.com/

Good luck, and press on.

·
NASA Rally Sport grassroots!!!
2,835 Posts
Dave wrote:
>Yes, you can just show up, buy your license, attend the
>seminar, and run the rallies

No, you can't.

You will also need paperwork for:

Proof of insurance for your rally car
proof of insurance for whatever vehicle you service with.

You also need to have both of these vehicles insured
to the amounts listed in the rules. Maybe 50/100/300? I
don't remember, you'll need to check.

You'll need to bring in your actual insurance declaration
papers. Not the little card you usually keep in your
glovebox, the actual policy that shows the limits, and
the dates that those limits are in effect.

The insurance paperwork is vital and you won't go
anywhere without it.

You will also usually need to show driver's licenses for
driver and co-driver.

Cheers,
Anders

G

·
Like everyone else mentioned, you can just show up pass teçh and go to the rookie meetings etc,and run after paying the fees.
What they forgot ot mention is there are TWO sanctioning bodies in rally for you to run with. As in the CHEVY drag racing camp, FORD or MOPAR does not get mentioned.
At present the license fees are much less for the other sanctioning body,NASA, =National Auto Sports Asscoiation.....$35 to join,and $50 to get a comp lic. web site..NASArallysport.com.

Also you can compete in any level beginning level of rally car,so far.
They have events in east and west and midwest.
Jan,2005 is Sand Blast,in South Carolina, also one week before Sno-Drift, in Michigan.

They, (NASA) have a different liability insurance in effect right now that allows for a leser premium for the organizers,thus a cheaper entrance fee for the entrants,by $100's of dollars.
Have fun,E me directly with any questions. [email protected]
scooter

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
<<< They, (NASA) have a different liability insurance in effect right now that allows for a leser premium for the organizers,thus a cheaper entrance fee for the entrants,by $100's of dollars.>>>

But what sort of coverage are they offering and exactly who is covered? Just curious.

Can't see me in your mirrors?
I must be in front of you!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, thanks for all of the help from everybody. First off I am located in SE Michigan( Brighton to be specific) I would love for somebody to swing by, or I can come to you, to check the car over. It is a production GT mitsubishi galant VR4. I will also contact Rally America, to go over the exact paperwork I will be needing. Like I said before I just want to have a smooth fun weekend, I understand I won't have pacenotes(being seed8) and I need to finish in order to keep moving up on seeding and to get my license, so being first isn't my main objective, I would rather learn how the events are ran from a racers view, and to just get a feeling of what I will need to expect on a rally weekend.

Thanks, Evan Cline

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Hi Evan,

I will echo that you absolutely should get the car's logbook issued and the annual inspection done BEFORE showing up at an event. The age of your car will require an annual. Tech inspection can be busy and hectic for all, and often logbboks and annuals will NOT be done at an event. Contact Mike Hurst on the RA site as mentioned to locate the nearest techie's to you; be prepared to tow your car to them. These guys do this for free (maybe a nominal charge to cover the logbook) so don't expect them to come to you. Also check with Mike Hurst to see if they have new RA logbooks. You could get a NASA logbnook but I think the nearest NASA techie to you is on the east coast (for the time being).

Are your helmets and suits up to specs? Are the seats per spec, and the belts within age date limits? Is your catalytic in place and working?? An initial visit with a techie can answer all these questions.

Anders listed all the needed paperwork (licenses, registrations, and insurance) for the event. I think the liability amounts are 100/300/50; too lazy to look them up right now.

As for the qualification to run a PGT car in your first rally for RA, THAT in my mind is your biggest hurdle to clear right away. Again, Mike Hurst and JB Niday are the RA contacts. Keep the NASA event in SC in late Jan in mind if that does not work out for you. It's a long tow from MI, but.... it's a good rally, and a relatively safe and easy one for starting in. You won't have the travails of ice and sleet and and snow and maybe warm slushiness and cold and all that which is so common at Sno*Drift. (But you're from MI!)

Good luck. Let us know how you fare in getting qualified for RA!

Regards,
Mark B.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
>
>I built the car to spec so I doubt there will be a problem
>there.
>

By this I assume (hope)you built it to an existing NASA or SCCA rule book?

Be sure to download and read the 2005 rules from the R-A wbsite, it may answer many of your questions.

As far as the new driver restrictions, it is not our intention to turn any one away, we will accomodate you. This may involve conditions / restictions on you or your car.

Best way to contact me is through the private messages in the Rally-America forums.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
>Like everyone else mentioned, you can just show up pass teçh
>and go to the rookie meetings etc,and run after paying the
>fees.
> What they forgot ot mention is there are TWO sanctioning
>bodies in rally for you to run with. As in the CHEVY drag
>racing camp, FORD or MOPAR does not get mentioned.
>At present the license fees are much less for the other
>sanctioning body,NASA, =National Auto Sports
>Asscoiation.....$35 to join,and $50 to get a comp lic. web
>site..NASArallysport.com.
>
>Also you can compete in any level beginning level of rally
>car,so far.
>They have events in east and west and midwest.
>Jan,2005 is Sand Blast,in South Carolina, also one week before
>Sno-Drift, in Michigan.
>
>They, (NASA) have a different liability insurance in effect
>right now that allows for a leser premium for the
>organizers,thus a cheaper entrance fee for the entrants,by
>$100's of dollars.
>Have fun,E me directly with any questions.
>[email protected]
>scooter
>

remeber he asked specifically about running at sno*drift. so there is no point for us to tell him what to f=do to get ready for a event and sanctioning body he isnt going to be getting ready for.

yes it is good to know about NASA but he needs to know the RA steps ASAP.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts