Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about getting started in Rallying, but I'm curious about a few things I had a hard time researching.

1) When registering a Rally car, is it registered like a regular car would be? And would it have to be insured?(i.e. paying monthly insurance on it)

2) Is it legal to drive on the street? (can I go pick up groceries and drive it around the city?)

3) Are they smog exempt? (where I live, CA, has probobly the most harshest emission laws)

4) I'm a bit on a budget so I can probobly only afford the cheaper rally cars (2-5K), do you think these cars are capable of driving all over CA going to different rally events? Or would I have to rebuild most motors for cars around this price range?

Thanks for the help! :)

·
Registered
356 Posts
1) When registering a Rally car, is it registered like a regular car would be? And would it have to be insured?(i.e. paying monthly insurance on it)

Yes and yes.

2) Is it legal to drive on the street? (can I go pick up groceries and drive it around the city?)

Yes.

3) Are they smog exempt? (where I live, CA, has probobly the most harshest emission laws)

No.

4) I'm a bit on a budget so I can probobly only afford the cheaper rally cars (2-5K), do you think these cars are capable of driving all over CA going to different rally events? Or would I have to rebuild most motors for cars around this price range?

A $2k rally car will probably need a lot more than an engine rebuild. Some $5k ones are pretty good, though.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
If you think about it, a rally car has to be street legal, as you have to drive it on regular roads on transits. It has to be insured to enter it in a rally. Whether you'd WANT to drive it to get groceries is another thing altogether...:)

Obviously, the more you spend on a prepared rally car, the closer it will be to "rally-ready." A lot depends on how many things you're capable of fixing yourself.

Bruce

·
your other left, you idiot
3,909 Posts
Luke-

Yes, you CAN use your rally car as daily driver. However, you probably SHOULD not do that. Just think about WHEN you really hurt the car on stage - how you gonna get to work Monday? That, or you will drive really, really slow to ensure that you have a driveable car at the end.

A corallary of this is, you start driving your rally car faster on stage when you begin trailering it to the event (as opposed to driving the rally car to event).

And carried to the extreme, you drive someone else's car - "Is not my car".

press on,

1 - 5 of 5 Posts