Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally getting around to watching the HD Theater coverage of WRC Mexico. Have watched Shakedown & Day 1 so far, and in the Shakedown coverage, they mentioned that a new helmet has been designed after 8 years. Several teams can be seen using the new helmet in the Day 1 coverage I have seen so far, including Ken Block (and I assume Alex?). The new helmet looks a little like the old Stilo i.e. half open face/closed face, with a structure supporting the mic on one side, though the mic-support structure is more square-looking than the old style Stilo.

Anyone know any details about the new helmet? Improvements? Manufacturer? Availability? Cost?

P.S. Like many others, I too saw Plsek Jr., O'Sullivan & Nelson (wearing a TMS t-shirt) waiting for KB to come back in at the service park inside the Poliforum.

·
[email protected] -> Magnetic Tree
438 Posts
The new helmet that you see is a Stilo WRC DES. NickyGrist.com has them listed for 500 GBP ($760) excluding VAT. Add another $100 if you want the HANS posts on it. The interesting thing is that they are SNELL SA2005 rated.

http://www.nickygrist.com/stilo-helmets-49-c.asp

That's for the cheap version of the helmet. There are carbon fiber versions which are listed starting at 964 GBP ($1465).

·
your other left, you idiot
3,909 Posts
Interesting

From the above:

"The WRC Des is by far the most futuristic helmet on the market an much stronger having passed the Snell safety standard being the FIA's minimum standard in the years to come (beggining January 2014). "

Bolding is mine.

After all these years of us chasing FIA, they are copying us. Is this true?

press on,

·
Road books are for transits.
926 Posts
Finally getting around to watching the HD Theater coverage of WRC Mexico. Have watched Shakedown & Day 1 so far, and in the Shakedown coverage, they mentioned that a new helmet has been designed after 8 years. Several teams can be seen using the new helmet in the Day 1 coverage I have seen so far, including Ken Block (and I assume Alex?). The new helmet looks a little like the old Stilo i.e. half open face/closed face, with a structure supporting the mic on one side, though the mic-support structure is more square-looking than the old style Stilo.
Piers, it's the DES helmet which conforms to the new FIA regulations. They have more impact absorbing material in it (about +30%).
They are mandatory for WRC Priority 1, 2 and World rally cars drivers and codrivers.
So far I have used it at at testing session in Europe and also at Rally Mexico. I found it very comfortable and with a very good audio system, besides being quite light.
Like someone else's mentioned they are very expensive in the carbon version but together with the seat it's the safety device where no expenses should be spared, so I reccomend it.
www.nickygrist.com is the dealer that has them in stock.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Alex, how much better is the audio than say the previous Stilo WRC? I have lousy hearing, but so far the Stilo WRC Turismo has been working well for me...

·
Mä meen vittu sinne!
6,058 Posts
Checkpoint Racing can also supply these helmets in the composite or carbon. Not sure if the new helmet also requires the new DES intercom as well though I would assume it does.
Snell rating is awesome as you can now use your Stilo helmet in other racing events that require a Snell rating and will allow a open face helmet.

·
Mä meen vittu sinne!
6,058 Posts
Oh yeah, it should also be noted that the regular composite version is not FIA 2004-8860 approved and only carries the Snell rating. The ~$3K dollar all Carbon one does carry both ratings however.

·
Road books are for transits.
926 Posts
Alex, how much better is the audio than say the previous Stilo WRC? I have lousy hearing, but so far the Stilo WRC Turismo has been working well for me...
Hi, it's hard for me to say, as the improved quality could just be the Focus intercom, which is M-sport made.
I have not used the DES helmet in the Fiesta (where we have Peltor and Stilo com units).

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh yeah, it should also be noted that the regular composite version is not FIA 2004-8860 approved and only carries the Snell rating. The ~$3K dollar all Carbon one does carry both ratings however.
Good point, Grant, I forgot to point that out.

And nice to know Checkpoint Racing can also supply these, so there is a stateside supplier that supports rally.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts