Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i'm starting a rally team/car... i have nothing now, but gotta start somewhere. Previously i have raced off road trucks, so my driving experience is with a 2wd truck(rear wheel drive). looking to buy/start a rally car, what would be my better option... What i can afford, or what im looking to get started is either...
6 speed manual - fwd
or
4 speed automatic - awd

personally i hate automatic, i want the best of both, or a happy medium, but have yet to find any. appreciate any help/feedback.

thanks newbie

·
eating dust taking photos
3,740 Posts
The fwd manual will be a better entry rally car.

2wd is deffinitely the standard recommendation for new to rally drivers as to go fast you really have to learn how to conserve and maintain that momentum.

If you're in a region with a good number of club rallys get an old fwd car thats runningand just needs safety back in it for under $6,000.00 and rally that for a while then sell it and build something big, bad, and fun.

Learning to rally isn't about if you go off its about when....
Very, very few people have never had an off or a dnf, unless you have money to burn start in something cheap....

·
Slid'n around 'n havin a ball
2,953 Posts
Get the rules, go to an event and look around.
See what you like and ask questions, the crews usually have some time on their hands between services. Bring beer.
rz

·
400 flat to crest
5,777 Posts
Welcome aboard.
If you've sent your time doing rwd and are down with their handling and the routines of service, you might just hate working on any modern fwd car with traverse engines.

Keep an open mind and have a look at the figures in the tables in this thing, and think about which cars or drive layouts YOu couild actually build or do.
http://www.specialstage.com/forum/cgi-bin/DCForumID40/43.html

And this one here has some really interesting figures
http://www.specialstage.com/forum/cgi-bin/DCForumID40/38.html cause everybody knows what a big ol' beast the Volvos are but look at the intervals
40 km (24 mph) to whatever, it just gets worse and worse the higher the peak speed for the standard car or the nearr standard.
Point is : get something that gives you room to grow as you get used to the skinny roads and all those pesky trees, cause you will get better sooner than you think and you will want to go faster.
We all do.

Get over to the GpF forum.
And don't be shy, most of us aren't.

John Vanlandingham
Seattle, WA. 98168

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

·
www.christianedstrom.com
2,144 Posts
> Bring beer.

But keep the cans/bottles closed and out of sight until the FTC. Alcohol consumption isn't allowed on-event. It's encouraged post-event, however.

Should you need co-driving specific information, Bushmills generally gets me talking...

- Christian

Bjorn Christian Edstrom
www.christianedstrom.com

1 - 5 of 5 Posts