Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think we are very close to see the introduction of possibly the youngest team competing in Historic Class. It would not be an exaggeration I was was to tell you that the combined age of the driver and the codriver is still less than the age of the car they are preparing.

Cheers
M.Samli

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:D :D :D :D

17 year old Estonian driver.
17 year old Phoenician codriver.
Nice strong RWD Italian car with twin DCOEs.
Great attitude.

Cheers
M.Samli

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's true, Cortina is a town in Italy, but the Grumpy Old Teadrinker knows about the project and he would get an allergic reaction if he would not make one of his (always enjoyed) sarcastic comments.:p :p :p

On the other hand did anybody else notice that he toned down since Missuz Vanlandinghong has arrived or maybe he's getting old ? Nevertheless, he knows damn' well that I will call him whenever I hit a difficulty in this project.

Here is the scoop, the car(s) is a 1967 Alfa Romeo Veloce, I've always loved that body. It's an original Arizona car therefore there is virtually no rust to talk about, we also have a few identical cars that will be used as part donors. As soon as my Galant (or as, you know who, would call GayLant) is out of the shop we will get started. We are hoping to get her ready for Gorman Ridge. Since we are a little nostalgic, we are looking for a set of Cibie Oscars, any info would be extremely appreciated. Please keep in mind, the driver and codriver are spending their allowances to get the car running so they can not afford much. On the other hand the driver's dad (1985 Soviet National Rally Champion) and yours truly are doing all the building, preping etc at no cost to the boys.

I'd like to point out that Vitaly (driver) insisted that we build the Alfa because albeit he's young, he sees the merits of starting rallying ith a rather underpowered rear wheel drive car. Isn't it refreshing to see that at least some youngsters are immune to allwheeldriveturboitis syndrome.:) The codriver Neil has been an indispensable part of my crew since last season, he is thorough, attentive, intelligent and very motivated. He is looking forward to get his feet wet in two weeks at Rim.

As the project moves forward I will post more information and some pictures to keep you informed.

I know the Historic Rally Community will make them feel welcome.

Cheers

M.Samli

·
Registered
409 Posts

·
just another old phart
2,258 Posts

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know that yellow Milano all too well. I'm glad they got rid of the whaletail.

I codrove in it for its previous owner in Maine.

It was the most torturous trip for the shortest rally of my whole career (35 seconds total stage time) but we had a lot of fun. Heck I even had a chance to work as a volunteer waiter at the Madison, ask Pete Kuncis he would tell you the story :7 :7 :7 . No John, it's not what you think, we had money.:p :p :p

In 1989 I codrove for the Swedish Champion Jarry Ahlin in a similar Milano but thanks to the incredible prep skills of Lindner Motorsport of Germany we DNFd as we were running 3rd overall and climbing fast.

Now back to the new team, I like the dry sump idea a lot does any body have any info or has anybody done it in the USA ? Also a quick question, do you think it would be worth staying true to nostalgia and go with a Twinmaster or shall we use one of the new buttony lighty shiny thingies ?

Cheers

M.Samli

·
Registered
409 Posts
>Now back to the new team, I like the dry sump idea a lot
>does any body have any info or has anybody done it in the
>USA ?

Sorry, this is where my usefulness runs out - I still haven't built the Alfa rally car I dream of building someday.

However, there is a reference to dry sump systems in Pat Braden's Alfa Owner's Bible on p 223. He say's that "Autocomponents and other suppliers" have dry sump conversions kits, big oil coolers and high capacity oil pumps. I have no experience with these guys, nor do I know if they still exist.

Autocomponents
8906 Dark Country Line Rd
Brookville, OH 45309
513-884-5144

I also happened to notice a picture of another Alfa rally car on p 225! It looks like a 1979-ish GTV 2.0L with SCCA and CRS decals. The photo is circa 1991 and the driver/co-driver names show as "Gary English / Randy Hensley".

I'm sure an experienced engine builder/racer and one of the Alfa web sites will prove better sources than my 10-year old book.

Good luck,

Bill
PS A little Google goes a long way...JACKPOT!

The Alfa Rumour, August 2003 Issue
THE NEWSLETTER OF THE ARIZONA ALFA ROMEO OWNER?S CLUB

On the Cover: The colorful photomosaic of a dry sump racing Alfa 2 liter was provided by Scottsdale Supercars. For more information contact Victor Felice at (480) 949-7223 or visit their website at www.scottsdalesupercars.com

http://clubs.hemmings.com/clubsites/azalfa/pdf/August03 Rumor.pdf

·
R5- > L5- NC (don't roll)
185 Posts
Don't I recall a GTV in ClubRally in the PNW in 2002 & 2003?

Martyn Ford (?) (sp?) Could be another source for the dry sump info???

1 - 12 of 12 Posts