Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
I have a cat.
3,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Burmeister Rallysport will be trying a new Snowbank Extraction Device (SED) at the Sno*Drift Rally this weekend...should they need it. Though never tried by this team, it really isn't a new device at all.

"I've heard numerous stories from rallyists WAY more experienced than I," remarked Burmeister. "Many competitors through the years have used this little bugger. I just thought we'd better have one in the car 'just in case'."

SED Details.

Apparently, a codriver hooks a long yellow extraction mechanism to the closest bumper to the road surface. He then takes the SED out of its protective sheath and stands by the side of the road. According to many, it usually takes a matter of just a couple of minutes for the entrapped car to return to the road surface.

Photo of actual SED:
http://www.hiho.org/photos/100bill.jpg

:+

·
just another old phart
2,258 Posts
You may want to be careful with your thing, especially if you are not experienced in its usage. I've heard stories that failure to keep one's tool within its protective sheath can result in unexpected incidents of multiplication.

Kent Gardam

·
Registered
524 Posts
>SED Details.

If I recall correctly, the SED actually comes in several different strengths/sizes, including the SED-20, SED-50. One of the interesting features of the SED is that multiple entry-levels SEDs can be combined to create a top of the line SED.

·
50 L3/CR 70 Yump 200
997 Posts
umm what's NEW about this device?? :)

Now a friend told me a sad story about seeing a BMW Isetta stuck face-first in a snowbank.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
>umm what's NEW about this device?? :)
>
>Now a friend told me a sad story about seeing a BMW Isetta
>stuck face-first in a snowbank.

Jeffy, most of the people on this forum are young enough that they wouldn't know an Isetta if it ran over their foot. When these things were actually running around on the road (sometime in the early Pleistocene) I wondered about the nose-first-into-a-snowbank problem.

Make the SED kinda hard to use...and Lurch's version kinda overkill, too.

Bruce

·
straight at T
2,472 Posts
>>umm what's NEW about this device?? :)
>>
>>Now a friend told me a sad story about seeing a BMW Isetta
>>stuck face-first in a snowbank.
>
>Jeffy, most of the people on this forum are young enough that
>they wouldn't know an Isetta if it ran over their foot. When
>these things were actually running around on the road
>(sometime in the early Pleistocene) I wondered about the
>nose-first-into-a-snowbank problem.
>
>Make the SED kinda hard to use...and Lurch's version kinda
>overkill, too.
>
>Bruce

I wondered how many people would understand that comment. ;)

I would think that if you pushed againt the door and the seat it would pop straight back out of the snowbank (door levers "car" out). It's not like it would have been going fast enough to bury itself properly...

Adrian
(who sees some form of micro-car - or at least parts of one - at least once a week)

·
straight at T
2,472 Posts
>Give that to Shindle and you'll be alone in the snowbank.

Thats why your snowbank technique includes ensuring that you end up blocking the road, thereby ensuring assistance, is it? :p

Adrian

·
I have a cat.
3,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
One of my pop's first race car customers in the 60's had a wife of name Isetta. He bought her an Isetta as a gift.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
That SED can not be used it is not FIA homologated.

If you try to use it you may be disqualified.

Cheers
M.Samli

·
Registered
73 Posts
I think you will only be disqualified in Group N. The SED-100 is otherwise still legal with all US sanctioning bodies. However, I hear rumors that a mid year rule change will be forthcoming requiring all cars to immediately switch to an FIA approved SED. The FIA approved part number is SED-EUR-1000

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
>I think you will only be disqualified in Group N. The SED-100
>is otherwise still legal with all US sanctioning bodies.
>However, I hear rumors that a mid year rule change will be
>forthcoming requiring all cars to immediately switch to an FIA
>approved SED. The FIA approved part number is SED-EUR-1000

This is an RA event, RA requires FIA approved, certified, homologated stuff even for cars that have been out of homologation since Moby Dick was a minnow, even if they are running local events. I think they will wait to make the rule announcement for SEDs until the first car is actually on the start ramp.

Undoubtedly they will not publish a drawing, likeness or picture of the SED they will require so we will run around scratching our heads trying to figure out what they want.

Cheers
M.Samli

·
Surrender the Booty.
2,149 Posts
>Undoubtedly they will not publish a drawing, likeness or
>picture of the SED they will require so we will run around
>scratching our heads trying to figure out what they want.

From what I heard Rally America was going to infact publish thier own version of the SED in question due to the response over the bulkhead issue. The FIA unfortunatly stepped in with local regulatory agents (see Secret Service) and made sure Rally America wouldn't be printing their own "example" versions of the SED, requireing them to send overseas for homoligated SED's at cost, plus shipping, insurence, and paperwork fees.

·
Registered
924 Posts
alternatly the SED can be used by co-drivers to prevent the snowbank incedents from happening, when coming to tricky corner, flash SED at driver and say "keep it out of the bank and this goes in your bank" :+

·
Registered
924 Posts
It Works!!!!!

from RA live updates....
"Like Car 523, Car 42, Burmeister / Shindle went off on a "nasty downhill right 3 - that was a right 5 in the book - according to Driver Eric Burmeister. Eric tossed the car around backward and should have been able to get it out, except that the car stalled, and they could not get it re-started (lost the starter earlier). Eric used the SED (Sno*Drift Extraction Device, AKA: $100 bill) to get out of the snow, and got out with little to no apparent damage."

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.