1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
Definitely looks interesting, but somewhat expensive at roughly US$1200 compared to netbooks which are higher spec and only US$400. I realize that the FDRS form factor is probably more robust, and that with a touchscreen and integrated keyboard is better suited to on-the-go rally use, and also that the development costs for the form factor and software which provides the value-added functionality need to be recouped, but it still seems somewhat on the expensive side to me.

Maybe consider an additional model of licensing the software for people with regular laptops or netbooks to use?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Fair enough comments Audi and you are correct we have had a considerable development investment in the software.

I'd urge you to compare the costs and functionalities of our product with other rally trip meters.

Might pay to check as well what specs a $400 laptop has that will help it to survive in a rally car, what type of GPS they come with and which GPS mapping package they have.

We are selling a system, not just a piece of software or hardware. As our product range develops we will be offering a range of add-ons and extensions both hardware and software, some for sale some for free, all tailored to the wants and needs of the rally competitor. For this reason we won't be offering the software for general distribution in the immediate future.

Thanks for your feedback, these sorts of comments are greatly valued.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Received this via email today:
Magpie FDRS now shipping.
After our first week on sale to the general public sales have been steady. The nature of the Magpie, being a premium product, means that it will never be a rapid seller but the team is happy with the response so far.

One of our big surprises has been a strong level of interest from the United States and we are now adapting our marketing to place a bit more focus on the USA, previously our focus was Australia, Asia and Europe.

RallyNav now does miles.

In response to the interest from America we have integrated the ability to work in miles and yards with the press of a button. Although the USA officially adopted the metric system in 1866 they still by and large operate in miles etc in the public domain so it was felt that RallyNav needed to adapt to this requirement.

Training videos now available.

The RallyNav instructional videos that ship with each unit will soon be available on the website. These videos provide a detailed instructional guide to the operations and functions of the RallyNav software. As an assistance to prospective buyers we will be posting these videos on the website to more fully explain the huge functionality of RallyNav.
Scott, let us know when the videos get posted to the website.

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
If I ever actually see one of these, in person and working, I will eat my own foot.
Since Magpie claim units are 'now shipping' and there has been a 'strong level of interest from the United States', I suggest you start looking for some sweet and sour sauce and/or some 300k+ Scoville unit habaneros to disguise the taste ...

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'll have some instructional videos of the software in operation posted to the website soon.

We're currently getting together a video of the unit in action. We tried one in a competition situation but it didn't really show much so we're going to set up a couple of cameras in a car and run a stage so you'll be able to get a good look at it.

It will be noted in the newsletter when we get it all sorted.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Of course, keep an eye on the website over the next couple of days.

So are we going to see a foot eating video out of all this?? :)

·
worlds worst co-driver
301 Posts
So are we going to see a foot eating video out of all this?? :)
I certainly hope not. Mostly because I would imagine that to be rather gross. I'd love to actually see this (the computer, not the foot eating, that is).

I've done my fair share of programming of UI, USB/Serial based control of hardware and so on and so forth so I can't not look at things with a bit of skepticism. Or with some eagerness.

I'd be mighty impressed, especially if it isn't some other back end software installed on marked up generic hardware with some scripting and custom GUI tacked onto it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Fair call and I understand the skepticism.

I have written the software myself from scratch in MS VB.NET using the Geoframeworks GPS.NET dll library because I was too lazy to write my own NEMA interpreter and Bluetooth plugger-inner.

The hardware is a modified off the shelf design made to order for us by our Korean mates.

I'd be keen to talk to you if you have any ideas on how we can make a USB interface for a wheel probe. Would make an excellent "fail-over" on the rare occasions the GPS looses lock.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yes but no. It is a little bit different internally than the Pepper Pad, runs XP Home, comes with a GPS and GPS mapping software AND has the RallyNav rally trip meter/notes software.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts