Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
eating dust taking photos
3,740 Posts
my late night rantings from another board but more response is always better.

Why not do something fun on the number backers?

Reflective backers are how shall we say, difficult and over powering at night under direct light.

Why not put the RA logo on the backer under the number itself with the RA logo and the numbers them selves the only reflective part, or even more interseting using some zinc sulfide for the logo on the number backer (glow in the dark type stuff, only matters if it were clean but it could be pretty cool lookin')?

Still have the logo on there somewhere else for durring the day but it would make for quit a site at night, and streaking lights and glowing rotors are always cool, the reflective backers just kind of ruin that normally.

RA logo at top, using something fun for night, and event or series sponsors under the RA logo or at the bottom.

I admit it, I just posted for the reflective logo or glow in the dark idea :+ .

otherwise I am anti-refelctive backers as well.

·
Faster Mabricator
3,611 Posts
RE: New RA Numbers

I still prefer the CARS approach to car #s where car#s are assigned by start order. It makes for better spectating knowing who has moved up in the field and who has dropped back.
The old SCCA approach was flawed in serveral ways including favortism by SCCA officials in assigning the #s (i.e. Greg Healey #22) and ClubRally #s assigned by division did not work (i.e. NEDiv assigned 900 series #s and there were more than 100 driviers so had to be given other series #s anyway and that drivers from divisions with lower #s would appear seeded faster than drivers stuck with higher series #s to uninformed spectators. I remember the later happening to Randy Zimmer at Oregon Trail when he had a 900# and everyone else there was 500#>.

·
I am not here anymore
2,798 Posts
I have heard from a solid source that Rally America technical whiz Al Kintigh is working on some flourescent lights that are installed under the car that spell out "Rally America" on the ground underneath the car.

He is still working on something for daylight stages.

That's just what I heard.

alan

·
which left?
1,621 Posts
>
>I have heard from a solid source that Rally America
>technical whiz Al Kintigh is working on some flourescent
>lights that are installed under the car that spell out
>"Rally America" on the ground underneath the car.
>
>He is still working on something for daylight stages.
>
>That's just what I heard.

You've got it all wrong. He's developing radio-controlled laser projectors that can project any vector artwork on the road (or any other suface), with rotating banner ads.

There also will be disco balls mounted in front of the rally lights.

--
Mark Holden
KC0SUW

·
Registered
159 Posts
Don't laugh.
At one of my sponsorship meeting with ACT II Popcorn the marketing guy wanted me to install some type of cannon that could shoot bags of popcorn in the crowd at spectator corners.

We both thought it was a cool idea. He was really wanted me to do it.

I told him that someone might get hit in the eye or something.
To say nothing about having a bomb in my car ready to go off at the push of a button.

He agree but was disappointed.

Steve

·
Registered
678 Posts
Oh, man that would be great! Just shoot it at an up angle so it goes at an arc to the spectators instead of straight to their faces. Maybe put some little parachutes on each bag to slow them coming down. lol :)

·
Dramamine is for DramaQueens
4,813 Posts
>I have heard from a solid source that Rally America
>technical whiz Al Kintigh is working on some flourescent
>lights that are installed under the car that spell out
>"Rally America" on the ground underneath the car.

Or on the clouds above the car??? Holy Bat Signal Rally Man!

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Cocked and locked

>At one of my sponsorship meeting with ACT II Popcorn the
>marketing guy wanted me to install some type of cannon that
>could shoot bags of popcorn in the crowd at spectator
>corners.
>....having a bomb in my car ready to go off

You could use compressed air or nitrogen.

Don't recharge the nitrogen or popcorn at fuel only serivce stops, or you will have to find a way to explain that the fuel injection system uses "nitrogenated" popcorn mixed with gasoline to run properly.

·
Registered
16 Posts
You guys just don't want to know what's coming with OLED displays.

Putting dynamic moving graphics onto the cars is going to become relatively cheap soon. It's probably possible to backlight 'em too. It's going to be very visually striking.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Yeah, OLED's are killer-cool technology.

Maybe heavily televised sports will just have the ads digitally applied to the cars/players during the telecast (or in post processing). That way whoever pays the TV/photo people the most money can have their competitor's adds digitally scrubbed-out and re-apply their own adds in-place. They already put virtual adds on bilboards during post-production; soon with faster computers live "virtual" advertisements could be placed into the video scene.:eek:

-Aaron

ClubRally Scirocco Mk1

·
SURF!!! I'll cover you myself!
663 Posts
>Don't laugh.
>At one of my sponsorship meeting with ACT II Popcorn the
>marketing guy wanted me to install some type of cannon that
>could shoot bags of popcorn in the crowd at spectator
>corners.
>
>We both thought it was a cool idea. He was really wanted me
>to do it.
>
>I told him that someone might get hit in the eye or
>something.
>To say nothing about having a bomb in my car ready to go off
>at the push of a button.
>
>He agree but was disappointed.
>
>Steve

I believe Dave Clark has the hardware for this application.

peter

·
The Guy Nordlie Hangs Out With
22 Posts
And we ARE getting rid of the "ClubRally" and "ProRally" labels right?
it'd be much more appealing with something like "(local name) rally championship"

-Andre

·
Mä meen vittu sinne!
6,058 Posts
OLEDs are still quite a way down the road. The longest lasting color (yellow if I remember) is only about 7000 hours with the shortest (red I believe) being closer to 2. When they're here they will be awesome though.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts